New S3 Carwow drag race

haha, i'm going to assume Mr Freeze is over 40 and owns an 8V. :blahblah1:

Eh i'am not much over 40 thank you :) and I do own an 8v . I like the 8y exterior its the interior that isn't for me

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
I think it’s the bash the S3 8Y thread cos it’s not as fast as the golf, odd as most of the people bashing it drive 8V’s and the new ones faster than that one so I’m not sure what the aim is here

Faster really there is nothing in it 8v to 8y no real performance gain at all . The Golf R on the other hand is a different story

Faster really there is nothing in it 8v to 8y no real performance gain at all . The Golf R on the other and is a different story
Yup, it’s minor and I couldn’t really give a **** tbh, but if we’re using carwow drag races as a way to highlight a car being better because it’s faster, then the 8Y is faster than the 8V in the dragrace they did between the 2.

And also the interiors better obvs! (IMO!)

Yup, it’s minor and I couldn’t really give a **** tbh, but if we’re using carwow drag races as a way to highlight a car being better because it’s faster, then the 8Y is faster than the 8V in the dragrace they did between the 2.

And also the interiors better obvs! (IMO!)

Yeah the 8y starts pulling ahead of the 8v at around 120mph which is great if you live in Germany .

• Haha
Lol it's just not though is it. At least younger people seem to like it anyway, the only people who seem to think it's "terrible" seem to be over 40.

Exactly.
Oi oi I'm under 30 with a S3 8V and I also think the 8Y is terrible

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mr Freeze
Yeah the 8y starts pulling ahead of the 8v at around 120mph which is great if you live in Germany .
Where do you need to go 0-60 at the pace that either of them do realistically? Great if you live on a race track.

The Golf is stinking on the exterior
The new S3 looks nicer external to the Golf by a long way and i prefer the S3's interior to the Golf

Love how forum's always hate on the new models of the cars they are about, 5 years time every1 be raving about the 8Y when the next gen comes out and that will get slated.
I am 48 and the technology in the 8Y was one of the selling points. I like technology moving us forward otherwise we would still be driving the same model as Fred Flintstone. I currently drive a 7.5 golf GTD and 1 big reason I went for the A3 was the virtual cockpit. I hate the thought of only back to analogue clocks!
I think the vast majority of people “hate” the introduction of a new model (me included) and that it is not as good as the outgoing model but after a while the new model grows on you the the old model looks dated fairly quickly. I guarantee that will happen with this car like all other models so get use to it as it is called progress! and I for one embrace it.

Reactions: Ludus and Q5 TRS
I thought they had decided not to build the GR400 ;)

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

The Golf R320 (ahem 370 perhaps...maybe someone forgot to remove the ABT tune?) could even hold its own against A45S AMG.

Reactions: Terminator x
It is more realistic than doing over 120mph .
Although if you're on the autobahn in Germany, there will still be cars faster than Golf R/S3s etc. Have a friend who lives there going very fast (possibly around the 150mph mark) in the old S3, and I think he said he still had move aside for Maserati Quartroporte and that it had a lovely sounding engine.

How incredibly surprising that people who own a 8V think that the 8Y is terrible...
And the 8V vs 8Y comparisons - as if everyone owned a 8V and wondered if they should change it for a 8Y - what's the point ? Today the 8V is basically a 10 year old car. The performance might be similar, but don't kid yourself it's the same as far as the structural materials, safety systems, technology, efficiency etc goes..

As for the Golf R: i could live with losing a drag race to it sometime in the future, but i couldn't live with looking at it on a daily basis.
And it's the same engine and drivetrain (execept for the rear diff) either way. A simple tune would make the S3 just as fast or even faster - and potentially still end up being cheaper the golf xD
Either way, that's just my opinion. Buy whatever you want :)

Reactions: Bigjase88, Ludus, Moots and 1 other person
The 8Y will date quicker than 8v FL as it's ungainly from a few angles the 8v FL has'nt dated it still looks really good....as it's overall design is more proportionately balanced.... ah in your 20's You love touchscreens then and dont have a lot of experience with the S3/A3 well most on here have and most of us are wise enough not to go anywhere near the 8Y I have owned 2 8V S3's pfl Sport back and FL Saloon never again, the one I just sold was a better car than an a 8Y S3 in every way why because the 8Y is A cost cutted version of a 8V FL it brings nothing new to the market over and above the 8V ah i've read recent posts on this thread...."It's just an opinion" but it's a general opinion that at one point last year i did not share until i seen and sat in the 8Y Audi has even ****** up the way you can even configure the car in the UK.....It comes across to me that with all electric cars looming Audi did'nt spend enough time and money on the 8Y hence it's a face lifted car and not an all new car hence why most current/previous owners of the 8v wont buy it..... but folks that aint will buy the 8Y
Well put mate. There is years of experience on this forum of previous A3/S3/RS3 incarnations & that is precisely what we are basing our ‘opinions’ on. Many corners have been cut, quality has taken a down turn & the design has most certainly drifted away from the aspects which have always drawn us to the car previously. Unfortunately add performance to that list too this time. Audi have seriously antagonised their loyal core buyers and it will (is) cost them with the 8y.

I am 48 and the technology in the 8Y was one of the selling points. I like technology moving us forward otherwise we would still be driving the same model as Fred Flintstone. I currently drive a 7.5 golf GTD and 1 big reason I went for the A3 was the virtual cockpit. I hate the thought of only back to analogue clocks!
I think the vast majority of people “hate” the introduction of a new model (me included) and that it is not as good as the outgoing model but after a while the new model grows on you the the old model looks dated fairly quickly. I guarantee that will happen with this car like all other models so get use to it as it is called progress! and I for one embrace it.

but how is the tech in the 8y light years ahead of the 8v ?

Plus the golf uses a similar platform so no analogue dials on offer here ?

the debate is not over tech, it’s more a question of style & substance imo.

one of the other gripes I have with the S3 is that you get the small virtual cockpit as standard and have to spec the eye wateringly expensive ‘vorsprung’ model to get the enlarged virtual cockpit - which does look so much better.

Reactions: Jassyo06, Mr Freeze and 8YARWY
My main point is not solely based on tech it is the way new models are always frowned upon as not as good as the outgoing model. Like I said once a new model is introduced the old model very quickly looks dated and not as nice. It will happen to this model as well and we will be having this conversation about the replacement to the 8Y in a few years time.

Reactions: Ludus
My main point is not solely based on tech it is the way new models are always frowned upon as not as good as the outgoing model. Like I said once a new model is introduced the old model very quickly looks dated and not as nice. It will happen to this model as well and we will be having this conversation about the replacement to the 8Y in a few years time.
Yep, I saw an 8V today and it's looking extremely dated now, noticeably so now the 8Y's out. And that's the whole point... I get that people love the 8V (even I do, but the interior is god damn ugly IMO), but it's old now and it certainly looks it.

but how is the tech in the 8y light years ahead of the 8v ?

Plus the golf uses a similar platform so no analogue dials on offer here ?

the debate is not over tech, it’s more a question of style & substance imo.

one of the other gripes I have with the S3 is that you get the small virtual cockpit as standard and have to spec the eye wateringly expensive ‘vorsprung’ model to get the enlarged virtual cockpit - which does look so much better.

I totally agree with this and the S3 should have the Matrix Headlights as standard because unless they change this going forward - You will be able to buy an Edition 1 1.2 or 1.5 etc which will get the Matrix's, however you buy an S3, standard LED unless you go for the Gold Encrusted Vorsprung model - I'm not sure what planet Audi Marketing actually come from lately.

I guess the 8V, you have a high degree of confidence, you start the car, you drive off, perhaps the odd warning light, which you look once, and know what the problem is. On the 8Y, you might be greeted with a whole host if errors and vague 'written' warning which may reappear, or it was a glitch which makes you even more confused (likewise the Audi tech/salesperson) and scared, and probably end up not driving the car and taking other means of transport.

Reactions: Jassyo06
I guess the 8V, you have a high degree of confidence, you start the car, you drive off, perhaps the odd warning light, which you look once, and know what the problem is. On the 8Y, you might be greeted with a whole host if errors and vague 'written' warning which may reappear, or it was a glitch which makes you even more confused (likewise the Audi tech/salesperson) and scared, and probably end up not driving the car and taking other means of transport.
That sounds a bit extreme. There have obviously been a lot of "teething problems" with the new A3 (mainly MMI-related?) but there seems to be signs that they are being sorted. Very frustrating for the 'early adopters', but such happens. Remember that there was an actual mass recall of the mk8 golf last summer after big problems with the emergency/SOS system. Always safer to wait a year or, even better, wait for the facelift. That was certainly true of the 7/7.5 R. The 8R is obviously grabbing all the headlines atm, but things will calm down in a month or so. Who buys a car on the basis of its straight line speed anyway? All these hot hatches are very quick cars, so attention naturally turns to the looks and interior quality, and most would agree that the Golf is not going to win that race. After a load of hot hatches, the A3 is now 'quick enough' for me, especially given the general traffic congestion and terrible state of our roads. I worked out today that an 8R to the same (or very similar) spec as the A3 Edition 1 with C&S would cost about £10k more than the A3. And just how often would I have the opportunity to use and enjoy all that extra performance? A bit like having a £700 suit and wearing it once a year.

Reactions: Ludus
gg
After a load of hot hatches, the A3 is now 'quick enough' for me, especially given the general traffic congestion and terrible state of our roads. I worked out today that an 8R to the same (or very similar) spec as the A3 Edition 1 with C&S would cost about £10k more than the A3. And just how often would I have the opportunity to use and enjoy all that extra performance? A bit like having a £700 suit and wearing it once a year.
I agree. The Golf 8R and 8Y S3 were top of my shopping list for a 40th birthday car, but I also came realise that there isn't really much opportunity for me to use performance. In fact, my current A3 1.4 has been more than enough for me recently after a string of high(ish) performance cars. And, in my case, I didn't see much benefit to ordering my new car with sports styling if it didn't have sports performance.

Even if you do benefit more from the performance, I also agree that style and tech are going to be important differentiators - many people will like that and the 8Y will probably attract as many as it puts off. While they are annoying, a lot of the 8Y's problems also look like teething issues to me.

Reactions: 8YA335TDI1STED, Santiago, Ludus and 2 others
VERY interesting comments on the R from the Dyno ....

Dyno results can be quite variable, but if confirmed could this be the start of a problem for VW? If they have "knowingly" understated the bhp figure, which must presumably have a bearing on what insurance group it goes into? Also given that the official 0-62 time of 4.7 sec is ridiculously conservative. Great news for the buyer, but I wonder what VW bigwigs are thinking? "Maybe we need to revise the figures guys"..

VAG cars have always understated their power. I guess their quality control is such that...only those engines making 'under' the stated power were pulled from the line, those that made slighly more than the badge power, well...it's not worth the effort to pull them from the line / detune them to the stated basepower. Perhaps this is why when put on the dyno, these engines ended up having couple of % more. Having driven/owned a 2.0TDI and 1.0TSI from VAG, everyone who sat in the car felt the engine was producing more. I was convinced the 2.0TDI 150 I had (it was 2nd hand ex management car with 2k miles on it) had a remap on it, and 1.0TSI 110 had more poke than another car I rented once which had 130PS. Besides Dyno tunes on a 1.0TSI Up in Brazil showed 126PS from a supposed 95PS 1.0TSI...

I remember back in the day in Japan, all powerful sports cars were capped at 276bhp / 280PS on paper. In reality though...

My 2008 VW caddy 105bhp actually did 115bhp on the dyno. Did a run pre tune to see what the actual gains would be.
Not much I know but still over factory spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VAG cars have always understated their power. I guess their quality control is such that...only those engines making 'under' the stated power were pulled from the line, those that made slighly more than the badge power, well...it's not worth the effort to pull them from the line / detune them to the stated basepower. Perhaps this is why when put on the dyno, these engines ended up having couple of % more. Having driven/owned a 2.0TDI and 1.0TSI from VAG, everyone who sat in the car felt the engine was producing more. I was convinced the 2.0TDI 150 I had (it was 2nd hand ex management car with 2k miles on it) had a remap on it, and 1.0TSI 110 had more poke than another car I rented once which had 130PS. Besides Dyno tunes on a 1.0TSI Up in Brazil showed 126PS from a supposed 95PS 1.0TSI...

I remember back in the day in Japan, all powerful sports cars were capped at 276bhp / 280PS on paper. In reality though...
Yeah most know that but 335 bhp is a lot more than 316 bhp another of the many reasons not to buy the 306 bhp S3 sport back

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mr Freeze and Snake Pliskin
Yeah most know that but 335 bhp is a lot more than 316 bhp another of the many reasons not to buy the 306 bhp S3 sport back

Agreed that Audi should have perhaps put this engine with this tune/gear ratio into the S3 and the S3 engine into the Golf R. And the R hasn't even been bedded in properly yet and coudl still output more! Wonder if VW stance is now, we are the parent company therefore our brand gets the best first. In most cases these day the A3 at times isn't even more expensive that the Golf.

Agreed that Audi should have perhaps put this engine with this tune/gear ratio into the S3 and the S3 engine into the Golf R. And the R hasn't even been bedded in properly yet and coudl still output more! Wonder if VW stance is now, we are the parent company therefore our brand gets the best first. In most cases these day the A3 at times isn't even more expensive that the Golf.
I wouldn't be surprised if Audi put the gen4 Ea888 320 ps engine in the 8y next year ie the MY2022 cars .....think Audi have rushed the 8Y out the car too early just to get sales as they know people will buy the newest model as it is .....can't understand it they put it in the MY2022 TT

Well put mate. There is years of experience on this forum of previous A3/S3/RS3 incarnations & that is precisely what we are basing our ‘opinions’ on. Many corners have been cut, quality has taken a down turn & the design has most certainly drifted away from the aspects which have always drawn us to the car previously. Unfortunately add performance to that list too this time. Audi have seriously antagonised their loyal core buyers and it will (is) cost them with the 8y.
It won’t cost Audi anything. They will still sell like hot cakes!

the more i see them about the more i like them.

agreed to others that the 8V looks dated now when you see the 8Y.

i can’t wait till i can get and 8Y in a couple of years

Reactions: Q5 TRS and Moots
I wouldn't be surprised if Audi put the gen4 Ea888 320 ps engine in the 8y next year ie the MY2022 cars .....think Audi have rushed the 8Y out the car too early just to get sales as they know people will buy the newest model as it is .....can't understand it they put it in the MY2022 TT
The current S3 8Y already has the EA888 evo4 engine. The same one as the Golf 8R and the Cupra Formentor. And all the peripherals are the same.
It just has a shittier tune unfortunately. Tho it's not that hard to see the reasoning behind it. 8R is the "top" model for VW. Audi will still need to sell the RS3.
It'll be much easier if the S3 doesn't make 350HP and lacks the more sophisticated rear diff for those who like to """drift""" - which the RS3 will surely have.
Audi engine code is DNFB, VW engine code is DNFC if someone wants to do some further research.

There is nothing like the buzz on this forum for the 8y like there was the 8v in 2013/14 & then 2016/17 for the facelift.

That is how we speak from experience. It’s a decent car don’t get me wrong, but it has a number of design / styling flaws, quality cuts & inferior power which has put many of us loyal audi buyers off.

I’m hopeful the RS3 will throw something new into the mix which might attract me back ... the engine being one of them, but I’d still have to accept / overcome the other issues noted.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Mr Freeze
The current S3 8Y already has the EA888 evo4 engine. The same one as the Golf 8R and the Cupra Formentor. And all the peripherals are the same.
It just has a shittier tune unfortunately. Tho it's not that hard to see the reasoning behind it. 8R is the "top" model for VW. Audi will still need to sell the RS3.
It'll be much easier if the S3 doesn't make 350HP and lacks the more sophisticated rear diff for those who like to """drift""" - which the RS3 will surely have.
Audi engine code is DNFB, VW engine code is DNFC if someone wants to do some further research.

Sell it in as much technical jargon as you want. not too long ago the the power gap between the S3 and the RS3 was only 60 bhp it then jumped up to a difference of 92 bhp it's got nothing to do with power ratings
RS cars are marketed in a totally different way no matter the power difference and the price gap has always remained consistent between both the S3 and RS3 no matter how much power the RS3 has over the S3

Last edited:
It won’t cost Audi anything. They will still sell like hot cakes!

the more i see them about the more i like them.

agreed to others that the 8V looks dated now when you see the 8Y.

i can’t wait till i can get and 8Y in a couple of years

Maybe by the time you get an 8Y...??? Audi will have used a magic wand and sorted it all out.......need a huge Magic Wand though

• Haha
There is nothing like the buzz on this forum for the 8y like there was the 8v in 2013/14 & then 2016/17 for the facelift.

That is how we speak from experience. It’s a decent car don’t get me wrong, but it has a number of design / styling flaws, quality cuts & inferior power which has put many of us loyal audi buyers off.

I’m hopeful the RS3 will throw something new into the mix which might attract me back ... the engine being one of them, but I’d still have to accept / overcome the other issues noted.

Like it’s big face and whacky interior styling

• Haha
Reactions: Snake Pliskin, Mr Freeze and Jassyo06
Like it’s big face and whacky interior styling

Baring in mind oor Glen has the AMG 45s so he's already come around to a bit of give and take lol A.K.A Audi's target audience

• Wow
Reactions: Snake Pliskin and 8YARWY
I don’t get the S3 310 vs G8R 320 - maybe VAG is going after sales volume. The 320 does seem to perform extremely well in reviews.

Power when new, great - with loss of secondary injection, those babies are going to coke up by 40k whether G8R or S3 even with new valve design. Curious to see that comparison in a few years.

Baring in mind oor Glen has the AMG 45s so he's already come around to a bit of give and take lol A.K.A Audi's target audience

yeah I’m up for a bit of bling now :)

My 2008 VW caddy 105bhp actually did 115bhp on the dyno. Did a run pre tune to see what the actual gains would be.
Not much I know but still over factory spec.

Did you get some strange looks when they saw you brought a van/MPV? for a dyno run?

Reactions: Ludus, JohnM100 and Jassyo06