New owner of A4 B7 S Line Quattro 2.0T - advice

Leighton82

Reaction score
Hi all....just bought a new Avant quattro 2.0T and I'd really appreciate some advice on a few things that are currently awry:

1. I only have one key and i am keen to get a 2nd without spending a fortune. You can get a fob quite cheap online but i guess my question is what do you do afterwards in terms of blade cutting and programming. Im based in Leeds and wouldnt dare attempt anything myself. Would want it done properly. Any recs?
  2. Because it's not the special edition it's properly basic inside. Would love the leather seats but i guess beggars can't be choosers! No arm rest either and that would be nice. Any advice on sourcing a cheap cloth one and can it be retrofitted?
  3. Also linked to the above my right stalk has no button for the trip computer! Think that's mightily naff of Audi. How could that have been an 'option'?! I know it seems pedantic but i do want to see my fuel economy stats. Ive seen the new stalk online for about 25 quid but what are the next steps? Again I'd want an auto electrician to fit it. Dont want to spend a fortune.
  4. The stock symphony CD player has a line of dead pixels. Didnt notice this before purchase but it is annoying. Ive seen some new head units online for about 185. Again i wouldnt fit one myself as id like it all to work and to link to steering controls. How much would an auto elec charge for this and what's a good budget head unit to get?
  5. One of glove box hinges is broken but seems to be cheap kit for that fix.
  6. Likewise the warning triangle compartment clasp system is missing/broken but i think i have the part references for that.
  7. Is it easy to replace one button from the climate control unit where the black lacquer has come off?
I think that's it for now. Other observation is that it's powerful! Compared to my old 2003 Seat Ibiza that is (which I loved). Sound system sounds great and steering is amazing. It makes some strange noises too but apparently that's normal?! Especially on start up i hear.

Any insights would be a massive help. Thanks in advance.

More observations. Build quality in cabin is poor. Lots of rattles, reverberation, and signs of age, which annoy me. Think a clutch release bearing is done for too. Got some clutch judder in low gears as well so a bit worried about future cost of ownership. Actually feeling a bit apprehensive about my snap decision now.

I’ve had keys cut for previous cars at Timpsons. Relatively inexpensive but can take a while if it needs to be coded.

I believe the armrest can be retrofitted but I’ve never done it myself. Your best bet would be to look at scrapped cars. I’m sure you could pick one up cheap. Could probably pick up a stalk, stock headunit etc at the same time.

Cheers for the response Dan. Current annoyance is that a friend's kid popped one of the rear parking sensors into bumper. Managed to get hand underneath and round bumper to put it back but since then the volume to those rear sensors is barely audible. There is a tone but the volume is so low. Im puzzled because they were fine a few days ago. How could just touching one sensor cause that?! Gotta to go to mechanic now for that and a clutch assessment. Journey so far as an old audi owner isnt great.

Sounds like your having a bit of a nightmare mate. Stick with it though. The b7 really is a great car and lots of fun to drive.

What's up with the clutch?

I’ve had remote keys cut and programmed of AC locksmiths in Leeds, think there about £120

Parking sensor sorted. Was buzzer. £60 part and labour. Mechanic couldn't properly diagnose clutch problem tho. He says maybe it's flywheel but it doesnt quite fit issue. HELP??! the car feels so rough. Juddering on releass in low gears and horrible whistling sound when changing gear. Really not sure what to do. Might get 2nd opinion. Still have warranty but will he let me use it?

Also have judder when braking at slower speeds. Just had 4 new tyres. Maybe the tracking is out?

Very crashy jerky ride but it does have 18 inch alloys. Normal?

Sorry to moan but was excited about this car and so far it's been a bit of a bummer and doesnt feel smooth or fun at all.

Don’t get too down. Mine blew up after 4 months haha! I still love it!