New Owner - cosmetic mod ideas?

Fredp345

Reaction score
Proud new owner of a 2008 sline a4, 2.0 tdi.
Looking for ideas for cosmetic/interior mods to get started. I’ve seen a lot about VAGCOM, anyone able to give an idiots explanation?

For insurance reasons anything too serious (lowering etc.) or performance mods aren’t an option. TIA

Widely known as VCDS, apart from being a great technical bit of kit for servicing and fault finding, bear in mind Audi will charge you the best part of £100 to scan the car using exactly the same software. There's some useful mods to enable on your car too, a bit like a hidden menu.

I've enabled rear LED light clusters to be on with front DRLs, rev counter sweep on start up, passenger wing mirror dip on reverse, etc.

Reactions: Fredp345
Widely known as VCDS, apart from being a great technical bit of kit for servicing and fault finding, bear in mind Audi will charge you the best part of £100 to scan the car using exactly the same software. There's some useful mods to enable on your car too, a bit like a hidden menu.

I've enabled rear LED light clusters to be on with front DRLs, rev counter sweep on start up, passenger wing mirror dip on reverse, etc.
Thanks! I’d love to get the Rev counter sweep enabled, I’ll have a look around for some tutorials.

you need a VCDS tool though - bear that in mind.

there are other options on the market now, things like Carly that will do the same job but for any car.

you need a VCDS tool though - bear that in mind.

there are other options on the market now, things like Carly that will do the same job but for any car.

Thanks, anyone had any experience with Carly or Carista etc.? Would you recommend going that route or just getting a VCDS tool?

Thanks, anyone had any experience with Carly or Carista etc.? Would you recommend going that route or just getting a VCDS tool?
If you're going the VCDS route, then @NHN is your man. I use Carista because I am a calamitous oaf who can't be trusted with VCDS. :)

Reactions: RS5 JON
VCDS has much more power for diagnosing faults etc, I used the Carista free trial though to get some useful stuff like Audi Drive Select, dipping mirror on reverse, rear LEDs on with DRLs etc. Dongle was a tenner or so which I sold on.
Carly is meant to be quite decent, my friend with an M3 wants to get it as it's quite useful on his apparently.

I have both VCDS and a Carly - the carly is easier to use as you just select the mod you want and it does the coding. With VCDS you do have to know what you are doing, but it is more powerful.

I have VCDS and Carista - If you are after a few mods and turning off service lights etc then Carista or Carly is the way to go. Its a lot easier to use. If you need to do some in depth Diag then VCDS is what you need.

Reactions: Simon