New car run in procedure

Liquidfusion-S3

I fall to peer pressure!
Reaction score
So it's only been 10 days since I picked up the car and haven't driven too much of it, have only done 200 miles since then being very careful.

Couple of things I've taken note from the forum which is a good idea

1) Keep car in efficiency mode which keeps rev below 2000rpm
2) Brake in period 800-1000miles
3) Drive gently and brake gently
4) Fuel car with only Shell V power unleaded nitro plus
5) Bed brakes?

I've been reading around about bedding in brakes and some very good links been posted by couple of members here, but with new cars not being performance cars do we need to bed in our brakes with a couple of 60mph>5mph stops?

A few other forums states it's not necessary for cars which are not performance cars with performance brakes used specifically for track days. Does that mean for our S3 cars we don't need to do that?
If we do, I'm yet to find a safe location to do this.

Any recommendations around London to do it?

Reason why I ask is because I have a few lines of rust on my rotors which doesn't go away after braking so it seems it doesn't make full contact with the rotor, rust is closer to the edge where brakes should make contact as other side of rotor doesn't have the line of rust.

Also any other run in tips we should take on board?

Great post!

Brakes & Tyres take about 500 miles to full bed in, so says the manual, I've not done the 60-5mph i've just used normal driving to bed mine in.
Shell V Power Nitro or Momentum 99 both are very good fuels, I've used both in my previous car.

Interesting and great advice for when ours is delivered. Funnily enough I was only thinking about what Audi recommends on running in.

When we picked up our Yaris we were advised to "drive it like its stolen", yes the dealer advised that, his exact words. He said that it would learn that driving style and you would get this best performance out of if it. We ignored that thinking it would be a recipe for disaster, and new parts shouldn't be put under that sort of stress. It's been a great car, it's been nippy enough and also returned 45 ish on mostly town driving.

Believe it or not you will do your engine a favour if you select say 3rd or 4th and put your foot down from idle speeds (not to the redline but so the car labours a little) as it helps to bed the piston rings in and will actually be better long term

Reactions: Devon A3
Interesting and great advice for when ours is delivered. Funnily enough I was only thinking about what Audi recommends on running in.

When we picked up our Yaris we were advised to "drive it like its stolen", yes the dealer advised that, his exact words. He said that it would learn that driving style and you would get this best performance out of if it. We ignored that thinking it would be a recipe for disaster, and new parts shouldn't be put under that sort of stress. It's been a great car, it's been nippy enough and also returned 45 ish on mostly town driving.

Every car I've seen that has been stolen has had all the wheels kerbed and the body panels dented. Might not be best to drive it like that.........
Maybe just drive it through the rev range!!

Reactions: AudiNutta and Devon A3
Every car I've seen that has been stolen has had all the wheels kerbed and the body panels dented. Might not be best to drive it like that.........
Maybe just drive it through the rev range!!

Kerbed wheel is a bad word in this house. The missus came home one day with a heavily Kerbed wheel and a chunk knocked out a tyre. Some prat over took a cyclist with her approaching in the in coming direction. All she could do was steer to the kerb. OUCH !

But yeah that's what he meant, right through the rev range in to the higher end. It was something in the lines of it mapping itself.

Mine had 4k miles when I bought it with front tyres worn out. No idea whether it was babied at the beginning but suspect not and it drives like a dream - no rattles, rustles or any other issues! Loving every mile!