NEW CAR - DO I WAX ???

shilts

Reaction score
Hi , i have a new lava grey A3 sportback on order which in all fairness won't be here for a while , but was wondering what would be the best way to treat the paint / wheels etc when it arrives . Or would i expect it to arrive pristine with no initial work needed , thanks .

I would fully polish and wax the car and seal the wheels as the dealers do nothing but damage to the paintwork. If I was you I would ask the dealer to not clean it, most people do this as they will ruin your paintwork and give you some lovely swirls!

Thanks James , will the paint really be that bad if they clean it ? What method do they use to clean the car that would make such a mess ? Cheers .

Yeah, they don't do it any favours! Using a sponge which is what most of them use I take it, they certainly don't use the 2 bucket method with a lambswool wash mitt. . I'm sure thats the case but people will correct me if I'm wrong!

I've seen a guy at Stafford Audi washing a customers car with what looked like a broom dunked in a bucket. Even my local Albanian Hand car wash wouldnt do that!!!!

I've seen a guy at Stafford Audi washing a customers car with what looked like a broom dunked in a bucket. Even my local Albanian Hand car wash wouldnt do that!!!!

My point exactly!

As above. Dealer prep can be quite shocking sometimes..

Treat yourself to a nice wash kit set up and a few essentials IE clay, cleanser, wax etc. Do ask the supplying dealership not to wash the car before you take collection; although it may be hanging from being sat around at the dockyard or similar awaiting collection, it would only take that one wash by them (or anyone that really doesn't appreciate the whole 'safe-wash' regime) to cause a fair bit of damage.

As above. Dealer prep can be quite shocking sometimes..

Treat yourself to a nice wash kit set up and a few essentials IE clay, cleanser, wax etc. Do ask the supplying dealership not to wash the car before you take collection; although it may be hanging from being sat around at the dockyard or similar awaiting collection, it would only take that one wash by them (or anyone that really doesn't appreciate the whole 'safe-wash' regime) to cause a fair bit of damage.

The pro speaks!

Its something that I wouldn't even think of doing but since being on here it makes you realise what they do to the paintwork!

This forum is great, you gain sooo much knowledge and understanding of what actually happens!

Thanks guysWhere would , i really would have expected more considering the cost of the car . Where would be the best place to get these items - is there somewhere online ? Also are there specific items for 'lava grey' . I wouldn't really want to spend silly amounts on waxes etc , but equally i want something that going to do the job well enough - any suggestions would be really appreciated , thanks .

I was at my local main dealer recently and the sun hit a row of "showroom condition" cars, I couldn't beleive what I saw. It was like the patterned effect you get on some stainless steel products. Like they had used an abradisc to polish!!!!! I wouldn't let then anywhere near it.

Like people have said, don't let them touch your car, they will of being using the same bucket of water all day to wash other cars, and it will be with a normal sponge and dried with a shammy and most probally a aqua blade of some sort.....swirl heaven.

Thanks guysWhere would , i really would have expected more considering the cost of the car . Where would be the best place to get these items - is there somewhere online ? Also are there specific items for 'lava grey' . I wouldn't really want to spend silly amounts on waxes etc , but equally i want something that going to do the job well enough - any suggestions would be really appreciated , thanks .

Take a look at this link dude (http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=73252), may give you some ideas!

I use Polished Bliss for my products, they're a great company! If you need any advise on products to use you can drop them an email and they will give you reasonably priced products that they sell which will still give you superb results.

Thanks very much everyone . I spent a good while last night searching polished bliss website , they really seem to know what they're on about . There are so many different products on the market that it becomes a bit overwelming for a novice like myself , so i have decided to drop them a line for some advice . Thanks once again .

If youre a bit unsure, get it pro detailed for the first time.Then youll appreciate how it looks ith no risk!Youll also be able to see what product is used for what purpose and in which order.Where are you?Some of the guys on the forum could point you in the right direction

Thanks Johnny , i'm near Norwich in Norfolk .