New battery required after 3.5 years?

TAKE IT TO AUDI TO CHECK UNDER WARRANTY

They may say it is fine, they may say it is out of warranty but I would get it checked by them first.
(However they will probably charge you 3 times the price if it did need replacing so I wouldn't do it there).

TAKE IT TO AUDI TO CHECK UNDER WARRANTY

They may say it is fine, they may say it is out of warranty but I would get it checked by them first.
(However they will probably charge you 3 times the price if it did need replacing so I wouldn't do it there).
On a 3.5 year old car, trying to invoke the warranty on a battery would seem to be a waste of time.

To conclude this thread, regarding a new battery for my 2017 A3 TFSI 1.5:
  • I ended up ordering an AGM replacement battery (Varta E39) instead of an EFB one (original battery), as the price difference was not that much. Varta seems to be exactly the same as the Bosch S5A08 (same factory) but slightly cheaper
  • Ordered the battery from Tayna and it was quickly received, very well packed
  • Went to an independent small garage to get the battery fitted. Took about 25 min in total and they charged me £30
  • Mechanic removed the original battery and then put the new one in. There was therefore a loss of power for a few minutes (no alternative power supply)
  • When we started the car again, car computer displayed a large list of random error: steering wheel issue, side assist fault, tyre pressure sensor fault, start/stop fault etc etc. Was beeping every few seconds
  • He connected his computer to do the coding and he changed four battery settings: battery capacity (slightly higher, 70Ah instead of 69Ah), battery type (AGM), battery manufacturer and battery serial number. He could see a lot of faults reported
  • Despite all the faults, the car could still be driven fine but start/stop was disabled
  • After driving the car for about 20 minutes and starting it 3 times, all faults have cleared by themselves and start/stop is working again (probably slightly faster than before). All fine now!
  • I have saved about £40 compared to the price Halfords quoted for the battery and fitting, but their battery was of a lower spec and their own brand

Last edited:
Reactions: steverobertsbbc