Negotiating Help Dealer vs Dealer

The Hammer

Reaction score
Looking to trade in my 118d e82 BMW for an S3 and join the club:nogarors4::yes:. Looking for a bit of advice when it comes to negotiating. I've currently got an offer on the table from one audi dealer with a discount of around 6% said he wouldn't match a broker and this is the best he can do said it's the same discount he gives to fleet these cars sell themselves:blahblah1:. Now problem with myself being based in scotland is all the audi dealers up here seem to be owned by the lookers group. Do you think i would be able to play one dealer off against the other to get a better discount or would it be a case of the same group so they wont budge on price?. Any help and negotiating tips would be appreciated

Looking to trade in my 118d e82 BMW for an S3 and join the club:nogarors4::yes:. Looking for a bit of advice when it comes to negotiating. I've currently got an offer on the table from one audi dealer with a discount of around 6% said he wouldn't match a broker and this is the best he can do said it's the same discount he gives to fleet these cars sell themselves:blahblah1:. Now problem with myself being based in scotland is all the audi dealers up here seem to be owned by the lookers group. Do you think i would be able to play one dealer off against the other to get a better discount or would it be a case of the same group so they wont budge on price?. Any help and negotiating tips would be appreciated

Hi, I ordered an A3 today and got a discount of 11.25% from Southampton Audi! I'm taking a personal loan to buy the car so basically will be a cash buyer to them. Maybe you could do that and see if the discount increases. Also I was advised to email other dealers to see what they can offer.

Hi, I ordered an A3 today and got a discount of 11.25% from Southampton Audi! I'm taking a personal loan to buy the car so basically will be a cash buyer to them. Maybe you could do that and see if the discount increases. Also I was advised to email other dealers to see what they can offer.
I was going to do PCP though i just like financing my cars that way suits me because i cant seem to keep one for more than 2 years. It seems to be easier for you guys down south to negotiate discounts or are you all just using Jedi mind tricks. Thanks for the reply what spec did you get?

Might be difficult if you have tried the broker tactics and tried the scottish dealers. If you prepared to travel to collect then expect twice the savings.

I was going to do PCP though i just like financing my cars that way suits me because i cant seem to keep one for more than 2 years. It seems to be easier for you guys down south to negotiate discounts or are you all just using Jedi mind tricks. Thanks for the reply what spec did you get?
I went for Sportback S Line 2.0 Tdi with Tech Pack and Privicy glass in ibis white. What you looking at?

I went for Sportback S Line 2.0 Tdi with Tech Pack and Privicy glass in ibis white. What you looking at?
S3 hatchback tech pack,privacy,driver comfotr with park plus in misano red or sepang blue

Reactions: Clunge
This... Look at Coventry Audi, Inchcape in South East England - if you're up for a drive/train journey to collect and do business you will get a saving. Seems the Scottish dealers have a keen and captive audience and are therefore tighter?!
@JordanQuattro any thoughts?

This... Look at Coventry Audi, Inchcape in South East England - if you're up for a drive/train journey to collect and do business you will get a saving. Seems the Scottish dealers have a keen and captive audience and are therefore tighter?!
@JordanQuattro any thoughts?
I'd be willing to travel if i could make a big enough saving

Being the same group they might find your details on the computer so might have to create an alter ego !!

I bought from Glasgow Audi but didn't check anywhere else as I got the deal I wanted.
I'd try and play them off. A sales a sale whether they're within the same company or not. And I bet inter-company competition and bragging rights will definitely come into things!

Scottish dealers don't give good discounts because they're Scottish. Simple innit. The old joke about the £5 note on a piece of elastic...

Hmm,
I got a great deal from Aberdeen Audi on my S3.... Was very close to the deal offered by Orange Wheels....

I understand that the oil bust has had quite an impact here so dealers are much more open to negotiation..... Happy with that!!

You should be looking at a minimum of 9% discount ....accept nothing less. Make it clear to them from the offset that you are looking for a 10% discount ....if they say no ,...say OK I will go somewhere else and thank you for your time. Make sure they feel like they are not your only option and you are not in a rush. Chances are they will call back and say "Good news ...we have a great offer just for you". That's what mine did, but I haggled with them for over a month and multiple garages. Get onto Carwow and start the quoting process on there to get some benchmarks. Also use Orangewheels who tend to give the best discounted prices quickly.

Good Luck and don't be afraid to ask for more!! Always ask for more ...you wont get it if you don't ask :box:

PS. Team Misano :redrs4:

There was a member on here who had to cancel his order..... maybe worth a look! Sepang Blue if i remember rightly!

Cash or PCP shouldn't make any difference, dealer still gets paid...... even more I assume with a PCP commission too!

Try a site like carwow to see what prices you get as well on your spec.

Bare in mind some dealers will have strict no compete policies within their group and they also have all the info on the system about the last deal.

Might be worth coming down to England as the discounts seem much greater here.

+1 on CAR Wow.
Dealers will give you lots of guff about using brokers , but as car wow is really a like ebay for main dealers to bid thye are a bit stuffed.
A lot of dealers will deliver , but then you get to miss the fun of the drive back. ! I only got 9% and was buying a S3 and a A1 and had to fight for it.

Reactions: Minion Bob!
It's about how far you are willing to push and how much of a front you have to haggle! Some feel uncomfortable asking for deals or add on's to the deal. My wife walks away when I start as I don't let up till I've either got what I want or I walk away because it's close but just not quite there. Haggle haggle some more!!!

Reactions: David83S3
Thanks for all the advice so far guys I've started work on it basically my plan is now to start north and work my way down to the south of England until I can get the deal I want . So Newcastle Audi are first on the list just waiting on quotes coming back

Reactions: David83S3
Car wow will save you the bother.,and the dealer doesn't know who you are

Reactions: Minion Bob!
I've looked into car wow and I've only got one quote back at 6.9% :superman:.Just need to start negotiating Harder lol

I tried the john clark group, lomond group, perth, highlands, leeds and aberdeen came out best. The dealer said if you get a printed out order with fiqures and dates and i will match it. It worked out at 10% off list with good trade in also. Im sure there might be even better deals going around with the amount of 15plate orders that were cancelled. All depends on stock allocation and probably what slots are away to be locked in.

Think I'll be phoning round a few dealers at the weekend to get some decent quotes lol

Hammer,

I am based in Glasgow and went through Carfile, the broker. It's a family business (father started it and now son runs it) and I found them very professional. I remember my dad buying a car through them about 20 years ago ! I managed a 10.85% (to be exact !) discount - that was after adding a fair few options - which amounted to over £4K off list.

Hammer,

I am based in Glasgow and went through Carfile, the broker. It's a family business (father started it and now son runs it) and I found them very professional. I remember my dad buying a car through them about 20 years ago ! I managed a 10.85% (to be exact !) discount - that was after adding a fair few options - which amounted to over £4K off list.
Filled in their quote online looks good to be honest did you deal with a scottish dealer ?

Filled in their quote online looks good to be honest did you deal with a scottish dealer ?
i would phone and speak to Andy at Carfile. I know his mum wasn't keeping well when i was doing my deal so not sure what current situation is. Anyway, the dealer was in the Midlands. In fairness to Carfile I cant say which one but my other posts give the game away !!

Good luck.

p

i would phone and speak to Andy at Carfile. I know his mum wasn't keeping well when i was doing my deal so not sure what current situation is. Anyway, the dealer was in the Midlands. In fairness to Carfile I cant say which one but my other posts give the game away !!

Good luck.

p
Did you have a trade in ?

no - hoping (!) to sell my mint condition SLK privately......
Unfortunately my heart is set on an S3 but everyone I know who has had an SLK has loved it so you should shift it no bother going to give Andy a phone on Mondays see if he can sort me out

Good luck Hammer - Andy is very good to deal with, as is the dealer so far.

Nobody biting on the SLK so far - thought I'd priced it bang on, having looked at what was being asked for higher mileage examples on autotrader,pistonheads etc Guess it only takes one and it's worth what that one is willing to pay. Anyway early days and trying to focus more on how much i will enjoy the S3 when it arrives :grinning: