Need help troubleshooting MAF/Liquid Gauge readings.

Shoomakan

Grand Nagus
Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone,

I'd like some help understanding some things. I installed a 3" down-pipe back today and was measuring some before and after figures.

I'll start with MAF flow. Before I installed the @badger5 TIP, my highest MAF reading was 185 g/s. After I installed it, it jumped to 190 g/s. So there is a definite improvement there. Also, my Liquid Gauge read a maximum power of 188hp, and jumped to 202hp after the TIP. The car has an aftermarket K&N (original) filter on it that I clean every month.

A quick search of this site and others tells me a mapped S3 making the power I made (at the dyno) flows over 200 g/s. I can't get it past 190; but I'm still making power. Last dyno on stock exhaust was 259 to the front wheels (corrected). I've installed a TIP, 3" exhaust, and a more aggressive map since then.

I double checked the correct MAF part number here, and confirmed I have the correct one. What could be causing low MAF figures but still yielding good numbers? I've scratched my head about this for weeks now and really can't think of anything. My car was dynoed at sea level; it's also driven/raced at sea level. In my mind this should IMPROVE air density, not make it worse.

Problem number 2, which I suspect is related to problem number 1, is low power/torque figures from my Liquid gauge display (and laptop tuning software). Before I installed the exhaust today, my peak power was 202hp. After the exhaust, it jumped to 234 hp. And yet, my g/s reading is STILL 190 g/s. How would it measure an increase in power without also measuring an increase in air flow?

All other Liquid functions are working wonderfully, which leads me to believe the problem is not the gauge itself (especially as figures are near identical if not so from 2 sources, gauge and laptop). I have read the Liquid user manual, and the only thing I feel may manipulate those numbers is the MAF adaptation, which comes calibrated for a stock MAF from Liquid. So I don't see why I should make up any numbers that will bring me closer to my dyno figure. It's a stock unit after all.

I'd like to close this by saying that the 3" exhaust produced a noticeable increase on the butt dyno. Whether or not it added 32hp to my mysterious total, it definitely hauls more *** now. Sounds great, too! For those curious, I'm running a 3" downpipe connected to a 3" pipe all the way back to a Magnaflow muffler now.

ps: tests were done shifting to 7K rpm.

BHP isn't just from airflow... could also come from ignition advance... Liquid uses the same data as the ECU/VCDS so wouldn't expect a difference

<tuffty/>

BHP isn't just from airflow... could also come from ignition advance... Liquid uses the same data as the ECU/VCDS so wouldn't expect a difference

<tuffty/>

Good to know, but I'm unsure why I'd still get a wrong reading based on this info? Can you clarify? Car is mapped so I'd assume it has modified ignition advance over stock. I'll double check with the person who mapped it.

Have you ever replaced your maf sensor?

Yes, sir. Previous owner also was bothered by this problem and tried 5 different MAFs, all giving a very similar g/s reading.

car with more ignition and a higher octane fuel for example would make more power for the same airflow

MAF readings are a guide, not gospel

usual maf g/s divide 0.8 is the estimator for bhp from airflow. It holds surprisingly true compared to my dyno, on std ignition like for like cars.. Start changing things, and the variance increases.

If you are trying to compare liqui power, to airflow, to dynos, you will just revolve and get more and more data yet less and less correlation

Reactions: Shoomakan
car with more ignition and a higher octane fuel for example would make more power for the same airflow

MAF readings are a guide, not gospel

usual maf g/s divide 0.8 is the estimator for bhp from airflow. It holds surprisingly true compared to my dyno, on std ignition like for like cars.. Start changing things, and the variance increases.

If you are trying to compare liqui power, to airflow, to dynos, you will just revolve and get more and more data yet less and less correlation

Makes sense. I was just worried as I hadn't encountered a car making 300 and above horsepower like mine with a MAF reading of 190g/s. I interpreted it as gospel because it is based on hard, solid data (or so it seemed). But I think you're right.