Nearly signed for an S6 .... nearly

Batmike

Reaction score
Call it a midlife crisis or something but I decided I wanted to own my next Audi so test drove an S6. First the guys in the shop, after making an appointment, told me they only got an A6 and said it doesn't matter. Having an A6 I refused saying I need to see the actual difference before paying 70k+ . Besides, if it doesn't matter, why charging 10+ more. Eventually I got an S6 (UK) and first said to the dealer that it had a nice sound. He agreed.

Then when walking around the car after, and I already thought the S6 doesn't really drive that much more fun than the A6 i am leasing, I notice the fake exhaust. Completely missed the public outcry over that one as my focus was more on the S5.

Then I noticed the exhaust sound, which is pathetic, and the fact the sound I thought I like from inside the cabin, is artificial. I mean what the actual. I am not sure what is worse, the fact the exhausts are fake, the fact they have sound programmed to pretend it has a nice sound or that the dealer either didn't know the sound is fake or pretended it is real.

When actually driving it was all over the place. The dealer asked me to 'chill' when trying to push it, despite staying within the 70mph speed limit so the whole experience was actually talking me out of it.

And you know what, the exhaust alone and missing virtual cockpit are enough to go back to the S5 idea. Which I will test drive once available in the UK.

Is it just me or is the S6 in the current config pointless ? And SO disappointing that yet again as UK we have limited options compared to the European model.

Nearly did same fake noise put me off I now have a6 2.0 diesel sline with virtual cockpit and some other upgrades

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

As said before, Audi have lost their minds with diesel S cars.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: RAF_S7
At the end of the day S models are just A models with the quickest engine available in that particular segment. Everything else bar a few styling touches and exhaust can be found on an S-Line. Dynamics of the chassis etc are completely unchanged. Nothing wrong with that but its made all the more pointless with S diesels. Audi can spin it how they want but if these diesels were so good the yanks would be getting them too...

If you look you can get more with the vorsprung as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you look you can get more with the vorsprung as well

Yeah, more of the same rubbish Diesel engine.

I’m keeping my S7 with it’s tuned 560bhp for as long as l can :racer:

Reactions: Terminator x
And you know what, the exhaust alone and missing virtual cockpit are enough to go back to the S5 idea. Which I will test drive once available in the UK.

Is it just me or is the S6 in the current config pointless ? And SO disappointing that yet again as UK we have limited options compared to the European model.

Missing virtual cockpit? Included as standard according to the configurator...

Attachments

• virtual.PNG
    virtual.PNG
    19.7 KB · Views: 107
The customer targeting for the new diesel S6 and S7 models is subtly different from the outgoing model. Whilst I also find the fake exhaust pipes a bit cringe worthy, I find the manufactured engine note less so (surely a 'sports exhaust' is a manufactured engine note too, albeit mechanically?)

This is still a damn fine car. And I would at least consider one, when I come to trade in my current A7 55tfsi in a couple of year's time..

Check out this review.

"where previous S6 and S7 models have simply been less powerful, less exciting versions of the RS model, here is a genuinely alternative proposal. A quietly confident but easy-going grand tourer with a massive range and realistic running costs. We like."

The customer targeting for the new diesel S6 and S7 models is subtly different from the outgoing model. Whilst I also find the fake exhaust pipes a bit cringe worthy, I find the manufactured engine note less so (surely a 'sports exhaust' is a manufactured engine note too, albeit mechanically?)

This is still a damn fine car. And I would at least consider one, when I come to trade in my current A7 55tfsi in a couple of year's time..

Check out this review.

"where previous S6 and S7 models have simply been less powerful, less exciting versions of the RS model, here is a genuinely alternative proposal. A quietly confident but easy-going grand tourer with a massive range and realistic running costs. We like."

Of course the S was a less powerful less exciting version of an RS. Same goes for an M340 vs an M3 and a C43 vs a C63. Just like a 2 litre petrol A4 is less powerful and less exciting than an S4. Poor journalism and in Audis pocket.
The diesel S models were not created to target specific customers it was down to two things; WLTP and the fact Porsche binned off diesel so they had to find a home for a lot of 3.0 diesel engines. The uptake for the diesel S models has been poor. You can bag an ex demo S6 for 41k.
Your 55tfsi is infinitely more desirable mate!

Reactions: CHEZ