My DIY Tint Job

wuta3

Reaction score
Hello people.

Decided to give tinting my windows a try after quite enjoying wrapping my chrome and whatnot. Here's the result, 35% SunTek ... it actually looks darker than in the image:

Tintjob

Not bad considering I got impatient waiting for my squeegee/baterang/throwing-star thing to arrive in the post and hacked an alternative from a leather-bound book cover! I'll save doing the other windows until the tool arrives I think ...

I used pre-cut film from window-tint.co.uk and it was a perfect fit, came with great instructions, they are on ebay too and the film seems good quality.

A few small pockets of water left I can't get out for some reason but hoping it sorts itself out. From the outside, no imperfections. Anyway, don't be afraid to give it a go!

Are you going to do the rear window? That will be a lot more difficult due to the contours of the glass and you will probably have to use a heat gun to manipulate the vinyl into position.
When your proper squeegee turns up try to remove the remaining water with that. If that does not work then use a sharp pin and peirce the bubbles then squeegee it out.

Are you going to do the rear window? That will be a lot more difficult due to the contours of the glass and you will probably have to use a heat gun to manipulate the vinyl into position.
When your proper squeegee turns up try to remove the remaining water with that. If that does not work then use a sharp pin and peirce the bubbles then squeegee it out.

Yep doing the rear, i'm going to spend a while forming it with a hair dryer. The miss' hairdryer gets proper hot, and don't have a heat gun. It worked well enough to form vinyl wrap so should be OK.

The bubbles of water "appeared" when squeegeeing, as if the motion forced the thin film of remaining water together. Anywhere I rub, little 2mm bubbles crop up and forcing them to the edge is a PITA. They aren't visible from the outside though so not ***** really.

Also, no raising on the matrix pattern around the windows due to some keying. Win.