my 90q with b5 a4 1.8t engine, problems

sam80quattro

Reaction score
hi, first of all my car is a 90quattro with an aeb turbo motor in it, it has a t28 turbo, 3" downpipe, 3" maf, calibra turbo injectors(pulsar gtir to go in if there not up to the job) and a front mounted intercooler. it has an a6 1998 engine wiring loom and and matching ecu(2 plug), however it has the original maf and ignition amplifier to the engine(which originally had a 5 plug ecu).

so i've had the immo removed and it fires up and idles. but when rev'd up it seems as though the ignition is been cut off and then revs a bit then cuts again, pretty sure i had the same problem with my a6 1.8t a few year ago but that was down too the pipe from the intercooler to the throttle body popping off, i have double checked and there is no air leaks, so my thinking is wrong maf, and possibly wrong ignition amplifier(are they different?)
unfortunately i don't have the diagnostic port wired up yet so thats not an option at the minute.

finally i have a pipe that has a check valve(i think) comes from the inlet manifold underneath, just behind the throttle body(towards the engine from the throttle body) and loops round to a take off again on the inlet manifold but to the rear of the throttle body(looking at it from the front of the car) it just loops from the inlet back to inlet so im assuming there should be something there?????

any ideas? cheers
:thumbsup:

Ignition amps are all the same.

Unplug the maf and see what happens without it. If its better, then you've narrowed it down.

I did unplug the maf and it cut out and wouldn't run, however I did leave it plugged in but removed it from the pipework and seemed to rev up better???but still not right, what symptoms does a bust ign amp give? As it was smoking a few weeks ago lol

Worst thing Is I did have a couple of spare mafs from 2 plug Ecu cars :( take it golf or a3 1 will be ok too? Also got an a3. Agu Ecu which has been unlocked so I can use that too if needs be

if you are running the mapped (or not) 1.8t ECU you will need a comparable MAF or when you open the throttle it is going to be seriously confused

its just a standard ecu with the immo removed, no chip or remap, found my spare ignition amplifier and going to see if i can find another maf just to rule that out, hopefully that solves it though
cheers