Mrs overdue, S4 as a trackday car and cheap SUVs

SonicDeathmonkey

Reaction score
Well, the Mrs was due to give birth last Sunday, but still no sign of a baby...

Yet again, getting rid of the S4 comes up. Given it's age and mileage, it's not worth a great deal, so I was wondering where S4's go to die? Do people turn them into track day cars, even when in standard trim?

I know that each track is different, but what types of car put in similar lap times to a big, fat, heavy S4? I would imagine the car suits power curcuits, rather than nimble ones more suitable to steroid powered Jap metal.

On another note, just watched a recorded Fifth Gear, where they were looking at cheap SUV's at auction. Real cheap. So cheap, I may be tempted...

tbh it depends what you consider "not worth a great deal"

Even the cheapest S4's are still making 4.5-5k, which is pretty damn good for a car thats in some cases over 11 years old...

As for trackday car, well assuming you did it properly and stripped it out etc, imo it would make a pretty decent track car. But driving round a track in a road spec S4 you're going to feel the weight...

I recon on a proper diet, you'd see it down to 1200kgs, maybe less, and at that kinda weight, with the S4's power, it would be a pretty formidable car.

The question has to be asked as to why you want an SUV. Personally, i think they're a little pointless, and i'd rather own an S4/S6 avant or something along those lines, than spending money on a barge of a car that doesnt do anything well...

If you want something for ferrying kids around etc, i'd think that an estate car in the A4/A6 class would be just as good as the SUV, but you've got the option of buying something thats acutally nice to drive.

I can't speak for the A6 range, but the S4 has little rear leg room with me in it, being over 6 foot tall.

If I went down the A6 range, would have to be an oil burner or the fuel costs would be too high. Saying that, what can I expect from an SUV, unless its a frugal Tiguan or something.

I wonder what the lowest weight S4 is out there?

well kerb weight is 1500kgs

Between the seats, door cards, carpet, headlining and other interior trim theres got to be 200-250kgs, thats the easy bit.

Next step in by book would be to ditch the aircon compressor, and pipework, and ditch the climate control for an oldschool manual knob jobby, thats got to save another 50kgs if not more.

best case at that point your down to ~1200kgs and your only outlay has been some lightweight seats and a non-climate heaterbox.

Then if you go down the carbon bonnet, boot, wings, gutted doors etc route theres perhaps another 50kgs to be had, after that its all very small amounts your chipping off bit by bit, lightweight wheels, lightweight brake calipers, rs4 alloy uprights etc etc.

1100kg is probably achievable if your prepared to spend a bit.

afaik the A6's are much better on rear legroom, plus kids are short ;)

If you can afford to put fuel in the S4, then imo any A6 isnt going to be much worse...

Any of the large SUV's arent going to return much to the gallon anyway.

That sounds like about 220 BHP/Ton. I imagine that would feel a lot quicker than in standard trim.

I took the dog to Betws mountain this afternoon, in the boot. He's only gone and ripped out the rear speaker cable... The *******. Thats the last time I am taking him to run in the snow!

However, I did smile when driving past the clowns in their fwd cars, spinning wildly trying to get up the hills.

WHat tune's were you playing? Maybe you deserved it ;O)

I think the Sorento is a good bet for a cheap 4x4, stated combined on the diesel is 44mpg.... not bad, and it's not the worst looking out of the pound shop plodders..

Pesonally, A6 1.9 (or 2.0 if you can afford newer) tdi quattro avant... Remaped. Black smoke is only offensive go those who are in the cloud.

There is a 72K '55 plate of autotrader for 8.5K, but they are only 140 Bhp. I bet it feels like driving a slug. Can't remember the last time I owned a car with so little power!

I can't speak for the A6 range, but the S4 has little rear leg room with me in it, being over 6 foot tall.

How often do you sit in the back of your S4 then ?

Seriously, I went through the "better change the car because of an expanding family dilemma". That was over 4 years ago and I have 2 children and at the moment, we manage fine in our 160k A4, been on family holidays in it too, no problem. Thankfully, kids don't need a lot of rear legroom and the boot is (just) big enough.

I took the dog to Betws mountain this afternoon, in the boot. He's only gone and ripped out the rear speaker cable... The *******. Thats the last time I am taking him to run in the snow!

Dog in the trunk, in a sedan?? :confused:

Dang! I think I'd eat your speaker cables, and central locking pump if I was stuffed in the trunk. :ninja:

Don't worry. He will not be going in the boot any more. I am thinking of clattering him with a shovel and putting him in the garden for what he's done!

Tell you what, I'll drive around with you in the trunk for a bit and see how you like it.... :O)

The 3.0tdi are sweet.

afaik the A6's are much better on rear legroom, plus kids are short ;)

If you can afford to put fuel in the S4, then imo any A6 isnt going to be much worse...

Any of the large SUV's arent going to return much to the gallon anyway.

How often do you sit in the back of your S4 then ?

Seriously, I went through the "better change the car because of an expanding family dilemma". That was over 4 years ago and I have 2 children and at the moment, we manage fine in our 160k A4, been on family holidays in it too, no problem. Thankfully, kids don't need a lot of rear legroom and the boot is (just) big enough.

Yeah, I was running these two together for a few months, and the standard A6 was absolutely HOPELESS on petrol compared to the crudely mapped S4. Tiptronic didn't help either. So the A6 went soon after I got it and the S4 is still here,.........it was worth a try I guess. Old faithful S4 :salute:

IMG_3075.jpg

IMG_3076.jpg

OT: Is that roof spoiler on your S4 standard? Do the S4's have a larger one than A4s? It looks quite chunky...

Yeah from what I have seen the S4 didn't come as standard with ANY kind of rear roof spoiler,.......this was on when I got the car (not sure at which stage it was fitted). A friend in the village has an RS4 and the spoilers appear to be identical.............

IMG_2969.jpg

IMG_2968.jpg

cool, i thaught it was only RS4's that had the beefy spoiler. I guess someones added it at some point.

I was watching one on ebay a while back but forgot about it and it went for 40quid :(

Well, she is no longer overdue. Soffia Haf arrived 2pm Thursday @ 10lb 5oz. Mother and baby doing well.

P.S. Haf is Summer in Welsh. Soffia is Sophia in Welsh!
P.P.S. Come on Wales!

The car stays for now. She has seen the light (again). Give it 3 months and I will be having the same conversation with her!

Someone needs to design a people carrier with a massive bhp/ton that can go around corners. That way, all petrol heads with kids can have the best of both worlds!

Ford do the S Max with the 2.5l Turbo engine from the Focus ST, and I know that Graham Goode Racing can do a 330bhp 500nm upgrade for it, as my bro in law has it on his Focus.

Congrats SDM Glad all went well, nice name, very pretty !

@ 10llbs OUCH !!!
As for the car how about the Vaux Zafira things VXR people carrier type thing......

oo dear, vauxhall? you really are scraping the barrel now