MPG Issues - 2010 Avant 143

Username: Required

Reaction score
Hi All!

New to the forums as I picked up my first Audi a few weeks ago.

I got a 2010 Avant 2.0 TDI (143) as indicated in the title.

So far very impressed with the all round of the car - it’s a work horse so I didn’t want anything too thrilling, just reliable and a comfortable daily.

My only issue is with the MPG I’m getting.

Obviously the car is 11 years old now and it’s covered 104k, so not new but by no means run into the ground.
I felt the mileage wasn’t great so I ran the tank down to empty and filled up 3 times to see what the results would be:

Tank 1 -
63 litres filled, estimated range remaining 650.
90% motorway driving, average MPG 47.6, actual miles covered until empty 399.

Tank 2 -
63 litres filled, estimated range remaining 640.
10% motorway, 70% A roads, average MPG 45.4, actual miles covered 376

Tank 3 -
62 litres filled, estimated range remaining 590.
50% motorway, average MPG 42, actual miles covered 340

I’ve had it in a local garage who basically shrugged and said “not to be rude but it’s old and heavy, we can’t see anything wrong with it”.

I’ve driven almost exclusive diesels for the past 12 years at work averaging around 45k a year so I know that filling a car with £85+ 3 times a week isn’t normal!

My driving style has relaxed a lot over the years so I know it’s not about me having a heavy foot, and the DIS is reading rates that I would be happy with (anything 40-42+ I could live with really).

Considering the tank is taking 62-63 litres a time, I know the gauge is correct.
Based on that volume, my calculations are saying I’m getting around 28MPG for mainly motorway miles.

I’ve seen various suggestions on other posts and from people I know, from the Coolant Temp Sensor (G62?) to getting a Terraclean, to a blocked DPF, but I was hoping for pointers specific to my situation.

The car drives absolutely normally, no smoke, perhaps a little light on power but it is a 143 estate so that’s the be expected.
The temp gauge rises normally and I’ve never noticed it move off 90.

Any suggestions and advice would be welcomed!

I have a similarly aged Avant. Tried a lot of thing to improve mpg. Replacing the o2 sensor made the most difference with gains of 3-4 mpg