Motor Legal Protection Insurance

S32B

Reaction score
Boring subject but I think most of us always add it onto our quotes each year for about £30.

My mate has just renewed his BMW insurance and is looking to move house this month after going through an expensive divorce, so he's after every saving he can find! Normally he does the above and adds it on for £30, but this year he didn't! He bought it as a separate policy for £15 direct from the RAC for £100,000 worth of cover.

Not a big saving but a saving anyway! I just thought I'd share it here as it may help out a few that are looking to save what they can where they can! Personally I've never even thought about doing it this way, didn't even know you could.

Reactions: wab172uk, KenL, Kuku and 2 others
Reactions: CHEZ, S32B and CraigM
Ensurance does cover for £50k

Also check you don’t already have legal cover included or as an add on with other products such as home insurance/bank accounts.

They all pretty much work the same and will only be interested if they have an above 50% chance of winning. Whether you pay for it as an add on or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ormesome
Ensurance does cover for £50k

Also check you don’t already have legal cover included or as an add on with other products such as home insurance/bank accounts.

They all pretty much work the same and will only be interested if they have an above 50% chance of winning. Whether you pay for it as an add on or not.
I recall asking a long time back if home insurance legal cover also covers you for your car, they said no, it typically covers legal proceedings relating to your home, employment, death or personal injury.

But as you say, some car insurance has it built in for free....always worth checking anyway! :)

Boring subject but I think most of us always add it onto our quotes each year for about £30.

My mate has just renewed his BMW insurance and is looking to move house this month after going through an expensive divorce, so he's after every saving he can find! Normally he does the above and adds it on for £30, but this year he didn't! He bought it as a separate policy for £15 direct from the RAC for £100,000 worth of cover.

Not a big saving but a saving anyway! I just thought I'd share it here as it may help out a few that are looking to save what they can where they can! Personally I've never even thought about doing it this way, didn't even know you could.

Two options, one is free the other is £15 for 5 people........

https://www.freemotorlegal.co.uk

https://www.rac.co.uk/insurance/legal-expenses-insurance

I went with RAC and cover 5 people for £3 each!

Reactions: S32B
Interesting. Just had my renewal and the agent I spoke to seemed to be almost suggesting a similar thing and taking it off the insurance policy. He didn't fully explain as he couldn't get anywhere near my other quote.

Interesting. Just had my renewal and the agent I spoke to seemed to be almost suggesting a similar thing and taking it off the insurance policy. He didn't fully explain as he couldn't get anywhere near my other quote.
Apparently the £30 cover they sell us they buy for about £1.50 :blink:

Are you saying that motor legal expenses covers divorce?? I would've thought that it only covers legal matters related to motoring, such as reclaiming uninsured expenses etc

Are you saying that motor legal expenses covers divorce??

??? where did that come from? I mentioned that my mate is looking to make any savings he can at the moment as he's looking to move house this month after going through an expensive divorce. Nothing about insurance covering a divorce!!!