MOT Pass and Tyres that keep on going.......

Blu-iTT

Reaction score
Car is 5 yrs old and today passed its 2nd MOT - shouldn't really be a concern on a car of this age, but when you have run around in a few old bangers in years gone by, the MOT day is always a worrying day !!

Anyway the tyres have done 27,500 miles and sill have 5mm on fronts and 6mm on rears they are Pirelli Cinturato P7 - not bad

Reactions: MikeParkin
Haha nice one, mines due its first one this year but should be fine on tyres as I've only done 15k.

But on the hunt for new alloys and tyres anyway.

Car is 5 yrs old and today passed its 2nd MOT - shouldn't really be a concern on a car of this age, but when you have run around in a few old bangers in years gone by, the MOT day is always a worrying day !!

Anyway the tyres have done 27,500 miles and sill have 5mm on fronts and 6mm on rears they are Pirelli Cinturato P7 - not bad

Shouldn't it have been the 3rd Mot at 5yrs old!? hope you haven't missed one out haha!

3 years free of charge. So 2 mots

3 years free of charge. So 2 mots

don't get it sorry!

5yrs today apparently, that means it was registered 14th March 2013, 1st MOT would have been 14th March 2016. 2nd 2017 & 3rd this year. Or am I wrong?? Mine is 4yrs old and its had 2 mot's!!

Yes correct! he has missed one out! prob a typo. 1st MOT is at 3yr year otherwise it would be 4th year!

Yeah quite possibly pal. I've always had mine done on the third year anyway, thought there was some new rules I didn't know about hahaha.

Reactions: Ormesome
Yes correct! he has missed one out! prob a typo. 1st MOT is at 3yr year otherwise it would be 4th year!
don't get it sorry!

5yrs today apparently, that means it was registered 14th March 2013, 1st MOT would have been 14th March 2016. 2nd 2017 & 3rd this year. Or am I wrong?? Mine is 4yrs old and its had 2 mot's!!
********, I'll let myself out. I'll make sure the door doesnt hit me on the way out.

Reactions: Ormesome and MikeParkin

Damn! I thought I was doing well with 4mm left on my front Continental SportContact 5 after 20k miles ;)

27500 miles and still 5mm on the front? Are you sure you haven't missed out when the tyres were changed as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: SamR92
Doh - sorry gents, what an idiot for giving you the run around. Car is 4 years old and this is the 2nd MOT.

The tyres are the first set on the car since new (but going on my previous posting you'll have your doubts if I can remember that detail), and still going strong after 27,500 miles - didn't think Pirellis had such a good reputation for wear.

Just don't forget rubber ages as well as wears. I was right behind a nasty accident yesterday when a car's rear tyre blew out on a dual carriageway, pitching it head-first into the armco. The tread on the tyre was fine, it had blown because the rubber had aged and failed a couple of centimetres out from the rim.

Just don't forget rubber ages as well as wears. I was right behind a nasty accident yesterday when a car's rear tyre blew out on a dual carriageway, pitching it head-first into the armco. The tread on the tyre was fine, it had blown because the rubber had aged and failed a couple of centimetres out from the rim.

Thanks for that - that will add to all the other things going through my head while bombing down the motorway !!

Wife’s car is having 4 Bridge stone tyres replaced on her Nissan Micra as they were degrading she was told they should be replaced at 5 or 6 years, clan see that there is very fine cracks in the wall of the tyre so thinking better safe than sorry

I've just replaced the contisports that came with the car after 13 months and 13k miles. There was still 3-4mm of tread left but the outer edge was getting quite worn and the tyres gave no confidence when cornering or pushing on in the wet. I've gone for the pilot sport 4s's so time to see what all the fuss is about!

Reactions: MaxBoostMRC
I've just replaced the contisports that came with the car after 13 months and 13k miles. There was still 3-4mm of tread left but the outer edge was getting quite worn and the tyres gave no confidence when cornering or pushing on in the wet. I've gone for the pilot sport 4s's so time to see what all the fuss is about!
You will like :D

Have you replaced all round? If fronts only then beware they do grip a lot better in the wet than the contis, so on sharp corners the back will come round on you if you are careless.

You will like :D

Have you replaced all round? If fronts only then beware they do grip a lot better in the wet than the contis, so on sharp corners the back will come round on you if you are careless.
All 4 mate, I must be using my quattro correctly as all have worn at the same rate.

Was a tough decision to replace 4 premium tyres with 3.5mm of tread on but its pointless having the power of the S3 if you can't deploy it!

Reactions: Jimbo10
All 4 mate, I must be using my quattro correctly as all have worn at the same rate.

Was a tough decision to replace 4 premium tyres with 3.5mm of tread on but its pointless having the power of the S3 if you can't deploy it!
This is very true. I did the same and do not regret it. Best decision I have made. Had them on a year and still look like new. And they get abused. Never had a tyre like this that grips so well.

Mine is just over 5 years old and I replaced my rear tyres at 70K. Plenty of tread left too but I chose to change based on age. I'm getting about 30K on the fronts. I'm pleased it goes easy on tyres!

Tyre woes
Got two new Conti Sports on the front a few months ago. Last week took the car for its service and they told me the tyres are close to being worn allready in centre tread after only 6500 miles!
They reckon the tyre place had them over inflated and I haven't thought to check the pressures so that's a lesson learned.

I've just finally changed over the tyres on the rear of mine after 52k (on a 63 plate) on the original continentals that came with the car! no cracks or perishing and still had 2mm of tread left but didn't want to leave it down to the legal limit! Probably should have went with the same for the rear considering how good they were and how long they lasted but I'd already opted for some Bridgestone's for the front and I hate nothing more than mis-matching tyres!