MMI screen

Hal Adams

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Five weeks in and I am now looking at the things that irritate me on the RS3. Not having electric seats is one, but more so is the screen! I just wish it would stay down until I actually want to see it. I appreciate that it comes up when any function button is triggered, or when going into reverse, but I cannot get it to stay down on start up.
As it annoys me, I now find it a nuisance to reach over to its switch to park the screen when I have finished with it. I had hoped the wildcard switch on the steering wheel might be programmable for this but alas, no!
Is anyone here into serious programming and might know how to add the screen to the list of options for the wildcard switch??

Last edited:
If you do not want to listen to the music system then you can press and hold down the small volume/track know on the right of the gear selector. This will turn the whole unit off and the screen should stay down. Does for me, anyway.

OK - thanks for this! I have not tried this (obviously!). I will give it a try later.
Are you saying it stays down even on next start up?

Yes it does for me. First time I found out was after it had been for its first service as the Audi dealership, as they switched off the sound system. When I started the car, screen was down and everything off. Tried since and it does work.

Is anyone here into serious programming and might know how to add the screen to the list of options for the wildcard switch??
Agree! I really like the fact that this screen can be stowed away since I rarely use its features, but do need/want them sometimes. Having its position be configurable would be the best of all worlds.