MMI screen disaster

sprint_48

Reaction score
Website
www.badlyparkeddubs.co.uk
So I’m probably not the first one to have done this, but I unknowingly used the wrong product to clean the MMI screen on my newly acquired 2009 A4, and now half the anti-glare coating has gone, meaning in brighter light it’s difficult to see what’s on the screen through the big scratchy blotch. I could cry, have only had the car a week and didn’t know you had to be careful with these as it’s the first car I’ve owned with one. What’s the best solution?

Any help much appreciated...

Replace with second hand part. Plenty available.

Or live with it.

I'm sure the screens are pretty easy to remove.

Or clean it all off and live with it. Looks OK when cleaned off.

This is for an A5 but I'm pretty sure not much changed from A4 B8 to the B8.5 A4/5.

Cheers. Don’t think I can put up with it as it’s going to be a constant reminder of me being careless. If the restoration method doesn’t work or I decide to just replace it, where could I get a decent used one? Don’t fancy taking pot luck on eBay tbh

Cheers. Don’t think I can put up with it as it’s going to be a constant reminder of me being careless. If the restoration method doesn’t work or I decide to just replace it, where could I get a decent used one? Don’t fancy taking pot luck on eBay tbh
Seriously, get the anti-claire off... You won't notice it once it's gone, well, you actually will cause you'll then see the screen perfectly...

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Remove the coating as it is rubbish. You can buy anti reflection screen protectors for MMI screens from various manufacturers like Brotech and Vikuiti if needed. New screens can be bought from places like eBay from £60.

I actually have a spare Audi screen from my 2012 B8.5 Audi A4. If you are after a working screen, i'd be happy to do you a deal before it goes on eBay.

I replaced my stock Audi Concert system in Jan 18 with the Alpine X702D, leaving my original screen in a box waiting to go on eBay once i get off my backside! I only replaced it as i wanted bluetooth and an external amp connection, therefore the screen is in perfect working order.

Here's a pic of the unit in the car and the unit as is now.

Give us a shout if you're interested, mate.

Attachments

• Old A4 screen in situ.jpg
    Old A4 screen in situ.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 302
  • A4 screen removed FRONT.jpg
    A4 screen removed FRONT.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 193
  • A4 screen removed BACK.jpg
    A4 screen removed BACK.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 191
Thanks for all the advice guys. Think I’m going to get over my Christmas hangover and have a look at it this week. Bought some trim removal tools from Amazon, and think I’ll get some Meguires PlastX on it and see what it’s like after that. If not happy with it I’ll look for a replacement.

Comes out easy. Just pull off the surround then its held in by 4 torx screws.

If you need a new screen be sure to get the correct one as there are at least 2 different sizes - MMI high has a slightly larger screen

I removed the coating from mine (as the previous owner had done the same as you have) with the intention of fitting an anti glare screen protector. The coating came off easy - I think I used plastx, but when I tried to fit the screen protector I couldn’t get all the bubbles out so I abandoned that plan and just left it as is and it looks fine.

A tip - be VERY careful when removing the screen screws - I dropped one down on to my trim and had to remove the bit below the steering wheel to get it out :( either that or use a magnetic bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk