MIB Upgrade

Took the plunge ordered a unit and installed it over the weekend. I was expecting it to take a couple of hours but it took a couple of hours on Sat and Sun then another hour or so to get it connecting seamlessly with sound.

If unit continues to work as it does now I’m very happy and I would recommend it. I’ve got MIB1 with Bose, Nav and DAB and I wanted better phone integration and a speedier more modern looking interface/Nav and this unit ticks all the boxes.

There are some excellent guides out there for removing the glovebox and installing this unit but here are a few things they don’t tell you:

1. Make sure it’s not too cold and you don’t run out of daylight.

2. There was a small two wire plug that I couldn’t remove from the glovebox hinge. I probably needed to be a bit more forceful but I didn’t want to damage it. I therefore had to complete the install with the glovebox tethered to this wire which probably added a couple of hours to the install. I’m guessing this plug controlled the glovebox light.

3. There wasn’t a great deal of room to mount the unit behind and above the climate controls but there is a spot, trust me. I used double sided 3m tape and it seems solid, no rattles.

4. Arranging all the cables to get the MIB back in was the difficult bit and it took some time to get this right. Maybe just me but had the glove on and off a couple of times before I figured out the cable management.

5. Phone connectivity to the unit was a bit of trial and error. I tested the unit before refitting the glovebox and it seemed to work fine. When everything was back together there was no sound. I had to follow the connectivity/troubleshooting steps a few times but everything seems fine now but I suppose time will tell.

6. I didn’t have to disconnect the battery and the unit will only operate if the ignition is in the on or “II” position. There were no errors on the dash after the install but was careful not to start car without airbag lead connected.

I’ve installed front door warning and puddle lights and this install is about the same level of difficulty.

Hope this info is useful and happy to provide updates on reliability if anyone’s interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: ScottishA4B9
Hoping one of you can help...

I bought the exact same CarPlay unit from the same seller. I have it all wired in to my MMI(MIB), CarPlay shows up and MMI centre console controls work, but I have no sound from my phone when playing music. When I go to INPUT settings on the MMI, AUX input is not selectable either.

Did either of you have to select AUX as the MMI input to get sound to work?

Any idea how to get sound working?

I assume you didn’t need to connect any cable to your phone ie lightning?

thanks
Simon

Btw anyone who has any audio issues, this is due to AMI being active and AUX not. Recode via 5F using VCDS. ‍♂

quite happy with the box from Bavarian Automotive. Need to see if there is sound limiting as volume levels seem quieter but nothing major.

@ScottishA4B9 how does the mmi work if you remove the box and replace it?

Also does moving the controller on the carplay area move the controls in the background on the original mmi? I have seen people who installed on of these and as they were using it and clicking it was changing the car modes on the original mmi

Btw anyone who has any audio issues, this is due to AMI being active and AUX not. Recode via 5F using VCDS. ‍

quite happy with the box from Bavarian Automotive. Need to see if there is sound limiting as volume levels seem quieter but nothing major.

Hi there

Yes I have sound issues. They only way I can get sound out of the device is if I connect via Bluetooth on my phone - no sound if I select CarPlay.

It’s a slight pain as car sometimes defaults to CarPlay but I’ve learned to live with it.

The sound quality, speed of the interface and the interface itself are excellent. The unit occasionally loses phone connectivity but it’s again something I’ve learning to live with.

I also can’t seem to get any sound out of Waze or Google maps and I’m guessing this is a related issue.

Does the coding fix all these issues and if it does would you be kind enough to provide more details?

The unit gets a 6.5/7 out of 10 but it would get a 10 if someone could help to resolve these issues?

@ScottishA4B9 how does the mmi work if you remove the box and replace it?

Also does moving the controller on the carplay area move the controls in the background on the original mmi? I have seen people who installed on of these and as they were using it and clicking it was changing the car modes on the original mmi
No it doesn’t. To access the CarPlay you hold the media bottom down for 2 seconds and the car plays kicks in.

Reactions: Willensor2
Hi there

Yes I have sound issues. They only way I can get sound out of the device is if I connect via Bluetooth on my phone - no sound if I select CarPlay.

It’s a slight pain as car sometimes defaults to CarPlay but I’ve learned to live with it.

The sound quality, speed of the interface and the interface itself are excellent. The unit occasionally loses phone connectivity but it’s again something I’ve learning to live with.

I also can’t seem to get any sound out of Waze or Google maps and I’m guessing this is a related issue.

Does the coding fix all these issues and if it does would you be kind enough to provide more details?

The unit gets a 6.5/7 out of 10 but it would get a 10 if someone could help to resolve these issues?

So if you have an AMI socket in your centre console storage box, you need to disable AMI, and enable AUX as an input instead.

Sometimes the mmi will change the source so you have to deselect AUX/external player.

Have you removed your phone from the mmi unit as a paired Bluetooth device?

I get in my car, carplay connects (I do t have to set or do anything) and I have full audio so far. Not tried Waze yet. Will do so later today driving back to Kent from Lancashire.

I think this is what I need and thank you!

I’ve tried unpairing the phone but then I get no sound at all through the device.

I’ve got an MMI connector in the centre console but the connectivity has to be wireless..

I’d be grateful if you could test sound through Waze or Google maps and let me know?

Also do you or anyone else knows if the coding can be done via ODB Eleven or Carista?

No worries. Sadly, I do not know whether you can code the same as in VCDS.

You have to completely remove your phone from the Audi system and let it pair with the Bluetooth of the CarPlay unit, otherwise you’re never going to get audio working fully, after you’ve fixed the AMI/Aux issue I gave you a link for.

Reactions: Gemrom
Thank you. The the coding instructions you posted to enable Aux worked a treat.

The volume was a little low like you said and sound quality doesn’t appear to be as good as Bluetooth streaming to B&O Audi MMI but I could be mistaken.

Also I can’t seem to get any sound out of Waze yet but it could just be a setting within the app.

Reviving an old thread, because I'm in the same boat - I have MIB1 High (larger screen, silver buttons on the MMI controls and Nav Plus system) but I want CarPlay (only for Google Maps and better control of my music through Apple Music). I was looking at the units from Bavarian myself (seems to be the ones most have gone for here?) but one thing strikes me as odd - when reading the description it says if you car has an AMI port, as mine does, I would need to purchase an AMI to AUX cable (at an additional £5, after buying the CarPlay unit for £219) but then doesn't tell you anything else. I contacted them and their answers/replies are, shall we say, less than desirable/professional. I asked if I need to plug the AMI/AUX adapter into my phone, and the reply was "you will need the adapter but it does not plug into the phone", so I asked what does plug into the adapter, and the answer was "plugs to AMI port" :rolleyes:Naturally, I realise the adapter plugs into the AMI port, I'm trying to find out what I need to do with the other end (the AUX end) of the cable - do I have to route it all the way to the glove box to plug it into the CarPlay unit in order to get sound or what (which is what Integrated Automotive explain in one of the links provided in this thread). I wasn't sure if simply plugging the AMI AUX adapter into the AMI port "triggered" the MMI to enable to AUX control in the MMI settings, so basically the cable was redundant, but it just needed to be plugged into the AMI port in order to tell the MMI to keep AUX "on".

I did buy the Carista dongle and downloaded the app, had a quick play with it but then sent it back after I realised you couldn't even get basic functionality (scan for engine codes if I get an EML) without paying a subscription. One of the things I saw in the Customisations part of it was AUX activation, which naturally I'd have had to have an active subscription to execute. I probably should have just bought the 1month £10 subscription, activated AUX (and a couple other things while I was there) and then sent it back. At least that way I wouldn't need an AUX cable running up the car to the CarPlay unit if that's the case.

I gather from reading this what once you're in the CarPlay side of things, you can't use the DAB radio side of the Audi system - you have to use a radio app/spotify/etc to stream music via your data connection. Kind of annoying as I was happy to (finally) get DAB when I bought this car, as the two routes I drive the most (usually twice daily) I lose cellular data for a good portion of it, and nd up sitting in silence waiting for the internet radio to come back! I'm also a bit worried this won't sound good: I don't have B&O (my A3 is poverty spec, and I think it's only got the basic Audi speaker system - no amp or sub) and it already lacks the punch that my Lexus used to have, I'm worried that with the reported sound degradation using this aftermarket box it will just sound poor. And I'm not sure that all this for Google Maps is worth it (but equally, it seems such a shame that with a nice dash screen - the 7" one too - I'd still be using Google maps on my phone screen). I'd like to go for an MIB2 High retrofit, but the cost seems too inhibitive.

Hi

All very good questions and I’ll try to answer all of them:

On the plus side

+ you get apple play; it looks great and feels like a big upgrade to the car
+ it’s cheaper than upgrading the head unit and getting the associated coding done
+ you can tweak the audio to improve it. It’s not quite as good as Audi sound but it’s ok
+ you can still use Audi nav/radio

The negatives are

- my dash seems to rattle more than it did on the odd occasion. It could be all in my head/age of car but this is a big deal for me.
- there’s not much space at the back of the glove box for the extra cabling which made the install tricky
- you have to get Aux coded to enable car and phone to work seamlessly otherwise it’s not worth it imo
- unit loses connection with phone on occasion when getting into the car.

Would I recommend it. Not sure. Probably and it’s 51: 49 in favour of the unit.

I know this is far from conclusive but I hope it helpful.

I should have definitely activated the AUX when I had the Carista dongle - would have only cost me a tenner..!

I’m still toying with doing it or not. I was aware that choosing a PFL meant I couldn’t have OE CarPlay (it’s a shame, the FL cars are better specced but I prefer the looks of the PFL - plus unless the very luckily get a 66 plate FL with all the spec you want, you have to pay five times the road tax for the same engine).

Thanks for your replies

Reactions: Gemrom