mark_S3 Progress Thread

Sorry to hear you were having issues with the brackets dude.. can appreciate that its not the easiest job in the world...

Stick at it... maybe use some paper or thin card to make templates...

Link to my build thread with pics of brackets etc..
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/my-minor-modding-thread.76389/page-72#post-2300310

<tuffty/>
Only got the basic tools tbh Paul....

Looks a straight forward job but at the bottom where you made a "S" shape bracket, I'm struggling to get right.
Getting the dimensions and holes 100% right so the projector housing is square to the opening on the trim is painstaking.

Had the idea of getting a metal sheet laser cut square with a oval opening so I can mount the projector housing to then fix that to the headlight unit trim.
Basically a cradle/holder.

The trick is not to try and make them pitch perfect but build adjustment in... I stood mine off a bit so I could wind them up and down the studding to get the right position...

<tuffty/>

Whats the point of the bracket? I must be missing something. Last time i done a Bixenon projector fit, the projectors just go into the original bulb hole and secure with a big nut? I guessing this isnt the case but cant grasp the situation from the photos.

Because the projector units aren't designed to fit these headlights... they are generic and the headlight units are aftermarket so brackets are required to secure the unit

<tuffty/>

Not alot to update recently.

Managed to figure out a way of mounting Bi-Xenon Projector using standard projector housing/bowl. Only test fitted at the moment, and needs stripping down again so I can fully bond Bi-Xenon unit to standard housing.

Need to sort out respray but for time being I have been looking and sourcing replacement items for the exterior overhaul.

Got replacement wings already and picking up a second hand set of door blades tomorrow. Need to find a rust free set of Silver doors which I'm struggling at the moment.

Picked up this stuff today from Wakefield Audi.

New Wiper Blades, New Numberplate Bulb holders, fitting kit for door blades and new rear Audi badge. (Genuine S3 badge on order).

Due to Christmas coming up shortly, I'm anticipating to have respray done by end of January.

New Genuine S3 badge.....

Managed to find some time to continue with Bi-Xenon conversion.

Offside complete and cracking on with Nearside. Removed front chrome trim as there off to be wrapped.

Ordered some new mirrors off ebay, but after comparing them with my originals and some research I found out that the new ones don't have a built-in thermistor (which I didn't realise originals had). Eitherway I will fit these and in the future replace for genuine ones.

Anyhow.... Unfortunately I managed to loose the fog light grille surround on offside last weekend. Had a search for a second hand one but got impatient as car looks awful without, even though it's stored away in the garage. So got in touch with Mike from our Audi Parts request and got a brand new grille waiting to be delivered.

Reactions: <tuffty/>
Managed to find a spare hour or so today to test fit headlight to trial out the Bi-xenon conversion.

First off was to solder wires to Main beam connector then removal of exsisting headlight.

Well it all seems to work. Beam pattern is much sharper and lightness much superior/brighter.

Reactions: s3 Hoggy
Huge update...

Had a quite a long painstaking period recently.
Back in January I agreed with a bodyshop to do my respray. We didn't agree on a booking date initial but that they would fit me in when they was available.
For weeks and weeks, I sat patiently waiting for there nod whilst asking when.....

In the meantime I started the process of stripping items off the car to aid the bodyshop

Boot plinth off.... (sourced another plinth as mine had too much corrosion and damage)

Side skirts off

Roof rails off

Front grilles out, number plate off and xenon washers out

Rear bumper off

Spoiler off and other bits

Anyhow.... After removing the side skirts, it revealed some nasty stuff to the actual sill....

RUST.... RUST and Rusty holes....
Most of the Sills where fine but around the areas where the jacking point is, they was heavily corroded and a few nasty holes. Jacking points where damaged and crushed.
My heart sank... As I thought it was game over!

So I visited the bodyshop who I was still awaiting a date to get in and show them the Sills.
There thoughts where to sand blast, cut out the rot and replate the areas needed. Also injecting the inner Sills with rust treatment to stop any further corrosion.

I did however contact Audi to find a cost of the outer sill panels which came into a grand total of £1000 as it comes in two pieces with the rear section of the sill forming part of the rear quarter.... So due to the cost of new panels, that was out of the question....

So.... Throughout February, March and most of April, I sat patiently waiting for the bodyshop to get me in...

Then after contacting the bodyshop late April they gave me a poor excuse so I ended up sacking them off.....

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Alex C
After sacking off the bodyshop, I went on the hunt for another local bodyshop....
Most where too busy to even give me a date, whilst a few told me to ring up the following week to see if they could get me in...

Whilst trying to find a bodyshop, a friend of mine who does custom work and a really good fabricator had the pleasure of the restoration work on the Sills.

Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of the process but they grinded the Sills, cut out the rot, injected the insides of the Sills with rust killer, replated the holes, straightened the sill lips and jacking points and then coated the outer Sills in rust treatment.

Only two pictures I got but since been coated in grey stone chip.

Back to the bodyshop situation... After visiting a dozen or so places, I got the nod around in mid May to drop car off for respray on the 4th June....

Finally a date.... Happy days

Anyway.... I sourced replacement doors blades months ago but they had seen better days.. Securing strip was still intact and structurally good.
Decided to get these vinyl wrapped along with rear bumper insert, lower grille surround, upper grille surround and inside trims of my headlights (Bi-Xenon conversion ones)
So at the present there at Paint Killers in Wakefield getting wrapped.

Last Saturday.... I loaded up the car with all trims including the replacement front wings I sourced last year and headed off down to the bodyshop.

Bodyshop is called 'Stuart Marsdens Autobodies' in Horbury.
He's a bit old skool and does the odd custom work especially on VW Transporters.

That's her dropped off....

They say it should take two weeks for the transformation. Complete respray in the same LY7W Silver.
This includes prep work, sand blasting and treating rust blemishes on roof rails and lower rear quarter, various dents, swap wings over, swap doors over for my replacement ones, complete removal of all windows and replace and to spray it.

Last edited:
This Thurs (9th June).... I visited bodyshop to drop off replacement doors which are in ming blue (got another two sets of silver doors at home but it's a long story to tell about the reason why I didn't use them)

As I drove in, I didn't even notice MY own car parked up....

He's done the hard parts, swapped over the wings and offered up for alignment, prep'd the bumpers and done all the dents... Rest is prep work now and tackle the doors...

Hopefully be in the spray booth this Tuesday and finished this coming Friday/Saturday.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandra, <tuffty/> and Alex C
To keep me busy at home with a empty garage I've been doing a few bits.

Lower grilles received some TLC...
Throughly cleaned using detailing brushes and AS G101, blow dried and trims restored and protected using Inspired Automotive Devine Pro.

Rear Bumper upper support bracket when removing had seen better days so grinded away surface rust, sanded and prep'd for a few coats of satin matte black.

Just because it's hidden away doesn't mean that it's not worthy of some TLC.... Its all about the detail....

Last edited:
Manged to source a set of R32 Boot and bonnet struts... Second hand

From same seller I picked up both xenon headlight washer units including associated pipework as one of my current units was leaking from the housing.

Also got the car in for Ceramic Coating Protection on the 4th July at Inspired Automotive.

They will prep the paintwork and apply a coating of Gtechniq Light Serum with EXO2.

Another attention to detail....

Purchased these Prefacelift lights ages ago as one of current ones has a small but not noticeable crack (no good for perfectionist).

They was hand polished after purchasing but wasn't the ideal finish.
Hour spare earlier today so cracked on with the DA Polisher. Used Maguires Plasti-X and wipe down with Angelwax Stripease.

Just a clear finish... No enhancing wax or sealant used.

(a few light scratches remain with would require wet sanding, but swirl free)

Reactions: Sandra
The jacking poits on my car have completley folded flat now. I tend to jack up off the front subframe.
Anyone else have this?
Were the side skirts easy to remove to check for rot?

The jacking poits on my car have completley folded flat now. I tend to jack up off the front subframe.
Anyone else have this?
Were the side skirts easy to remove to check for rot?
Yeah there's about 20 torq screws to undo...

A dozen or so along lower edge of side skirt where it meets sill.
A couple on either arch, and 6 under sill protector plate (S3 logo on it)

Its fairly self explanatory once you start. Once screws removed both end section and side skirt just needs a little persuasion to come off

Reactions: Alex C
you've got everyone worrying about their crushed jacking points now
It's something you will never know unless you remove the side skirts.

Obviously I noticed the jack points where crushed but would never if though the actual Sills where rotting away behind the skirts.

Just glad I caught it at this point before the Sills started to crumble apart.

Literally my heart sank when I saw this.

Im glad I've stripped most things myself as my OCDness will be kicking in to clean and tidy up behind items now.

Will be collecting car this Wednesday.
Called into bodyshop on Saturday for a brief visit. Pretty much ready for the spray booth (going in today).
They was sanding and keying the bodywork when I arrived and just that morning had all windows removed (window fitter had issues with front rubber seal so had to cut to remove - £15 for new one however).

So it's quite a exciting week.

Side Blades, lower grille surround and rear bumper insert ars still at wrappers as they are struggling to source the vinyl (very similar to OEM colour) so might receive these back before end of week.

Yeah there's about 20 torq screws to undo...

A dozen or so along lower edge of side skirt where it meets sill.
A couple on either arch, and 6 under sill protector plate (S3 logo on it)

Its fairly self explanatory once you start. Once screws removed both end section and side skirt just needs a little persuasion to come off

I was using the front drivers side jacking point today with the crappy little jack from the boot. The sill collapsed flat along half the length of the car. Looks like some repair work is needed