Magnetic Ride on S3 SB - to have or not to have ?

You been looking in those style catalogues again Jassy ? ?
Yeah l used to back in the 80"s....mate but me hair of late has gone it's own way now..... Hence the Alpecin shampoo lol

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
OK, thanks for your help guys, decision made.

Adding 19" wing alloys + mag ride to the spec.

Another question, seen some pics of current model S3 with these wheels and notice bits of black plastic sticking out from the top of the front wheel arch and the back of the rear wheel arch - any idea what they are for, are they necessary, and can they be removed ...? see attached image

Attachments

• VehicleImage.axd.jpg
    VehicleImage.axd.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 163
Reactions: pburv, SpeedyFrog and Rob2k68
Why not buy a saloon?
The mag ride and 19" alloys are virtually free as the price between the hatch/saloon is now minimal.

Have thought about it but want the hatchback. In many ways the saloon is better, slightly wider, better stance but a boot, and the difference is only a few pounds........ still time to change though :)

Reactions: pburv
My guess is that the saloon will get the higher premium come trade in time...:yes:

Reactions: davc
I know most people won't want to be modding their nice new cars, but I can't emphasise just how impressive coilovers have been for me (and others). Not a huge amount more than mag, and can be returned to stock later.

I know most people won't want to be modding their nice new cars, but I can't emphasise just how impressive coilovers have been for me (and others). Not a huge amount more than mag, and can be returned to stock later.
I suppose it cancels out the need to source 19" alloys....:yes:

Reactions: Rob2k68

Another question, seen some pics of current model S3 with these wheels and notice bits of black plastic sticking out from the top of the front wheel arch and the back of the rear wheel arch - any idea what they are for, are they necessary, and can they be removed ...? see attached image

Good call they will look amazing !!

To answer your question they are wheelarch extensions required in order to meet the wheel and tyre coverage legislation - they are fitted to all hatchbacks and Sportbacks that come factory fitted with 19 inch wheels - the saloon has wider front wings/rear arches and does not require them.

Fear not as they are held on with plastic for tree clips and can easily be removed.

Reactions: pburv, SpeedyFrog and Peter1201

Also see here :-

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/bw-13-14-15-16.238389/page-6#post-2449378

Pics are of @Brasso stunning car.

Reactions: pburv, SpeedyFrog and Peter1201
Good call they will look amazing !!

To answer your question they are wheelarch extensions required in order to meet the wheel and tyre coverage legislation - they are fitted to all hatchbacks and Sportbacks that come factory fitted with 19 inch wheels - the saloon has wider front wings/rear arches and does not require them.

Fear not as they are held on with plastic for tree clips and can easily be removed.
I actually went out to my car last night to check for these extensions when I read his post but one thing led to another and I forgot to report back..lol:blink:

Reactions: Rob2k68

You think they can remove those at the dealership the day of delivery or they have to leave them by law?
Learning some new stuff every day with this forum! :yes:

You think they can remove those at the dealership the day of delivery or they have to leave them by law?

I'd imagine the dealer can sort it very easily. A good example of this is the number plate plinths for some makes of car destined for the American market these are much larger than the Euro plinths and very often get changed over at the dealerships.

I've looked into it and is seems to be a legal requirement, so I doubt the dealer will take them off but I will be asking my friends at West London Audi to do it. I'll keep you posted

I've looked into it and is seems to be a legal requirement, so I doubt the dealer will take them off but I will be asking my friends at West London Audi to do it. I'll keep you posted
Good deal from West London Audi?

Reactions: pburv
So while we're on the subject of suspension, what's the best way to get rid of the bouncy rear end on the spoortback. I have the standard suspension and 18 inch wheels. On a smooth B road it's not to bad but it's a nightmare on a bumpy road. I have Bilsteins on my Rs4, which drive really well. I was thinking of changing out the S3 suspension for something similar but the post above is suggest a spring change will help it stop bouncing.