MAF/CONTROL ARMS....

phoenixv6quattro

staylowmovefast
Reaction score
Hey gents...

What are the major and minor symptoms of knackered front control arms? Noises and handling characteristics?

Lastly, what product/chemical is the best for cleaning my MAF on my 2.8?

Cheers guys!

It will depend how worn they are and where they're worn.

When our first set went (the OE audi ones) there was no obvious symptoms, i was jacking the car up as i suspected a front wheel bearing was on the way out (it was howling a bit), and noticed a wobble in the wheel. Investigated and the top two balljoints were gubbed. The bearing was gubbed, but there was no detectable play in it.

I then fitted ebay-povertyspec arms all round. After about 2 months these started creaking and groaning when steering, espeically low speed car park type manoevers. The car then developed a really horrible vibration, felt like balancing but you couldnt pull thru it, it just got worse as you went faster, by 85 it was trying to pull the steering wheel out of dawns hands. Investigated again, and again the balljoints on top arms were dead, even moreso than the audi ones i'd removed only 4 months previous, but this time, they'd allowed enough camber and toe change to wear the tyre egg shaped on the inner edge. Presumably the vibrations were the control arms moving around and some kinda resonance occuring.

After replacing the arms it totally transformed the drive though. Car felt stiffer and more precise. Its on Meyle arms now.

Its probably worth looking at the rear bushes too, as at 10years old they will be past their best. Changing the rear axle bushes on ours changed the drive so much that it felt like the car had been lowered/stiffened up, even from the passenger seat!

As for the AFM, i cleaned mine with a blast of carb cleaner, although some say to use "electrical contact cleaner" instead as its less harsh.

@aragorn hi butty was it a big job to do the rear bushes mine is an avant or is there a thread on here i can take a look at cheers tazzy

Yours is a quattro is it not? It's not tha same as a fwd. You will have wishbones at the back.

Its not too bad a job, but it is fiddly and you need a well stocked workshop to ensure you have the correct sized drifts to pull the bushes thru.

We ended up using some exhaust tube, stretched out to act as a spacer on one side, and tweaked in to snugly fit on the bush casing of the other. Took us the best part of a day, but a lot of that was working out exactly the best way to do it.

aragon, how much was the meyle kit?

id love to change all the arms on my s4. where ive changed that sort of thing n the past it has transformed the car as you said... the s4 corners on rails as it is, with new arms im sure it would actually be telepathic and you wouldnt even have to steer

Heh, yer. £330ish.

I got mine from germany, but i think Jason at Allgermanparts is stocking them at competative prices now, so its worth giving him a call/email.

They "officially" dont fit the S4, but i've no idea why. Fitted a set of the same A4 arms to craigs S4 without any problems.

Front only. That includes all 8 arms, the C links and the track rod ends though.

Rear is a bit more tricky, the pressed steel wishbones are (at least to my knowledge) dealer only parts. You can buy just the bushes from audi, but if your doing them all the difference isnt that great between them and the complete arms, and you'd have to hope you dont damage the wishbones getting the old bushes out.