M25 Variable Speed Limits

tyr92

Reaction score
Hey all,

New driver here - was driving around the M25 yesterday from the A1 junction to just after the M4. Variable speed limits were in effect, and I think I went through a 40 at 46 on my speedometer. Does anyone know how likely this will be to flag? I heard something about a 10%+2 rule .

Everyone else was travelling about the same speed as me and I didn't want to hold up the traffic so was just going with the flow.

Thanks!

I'd imagine you will be fine..

Sometimes I've found on the M25 there is variable limit in effect, but the traffic is light and everyone is going above the limit, say going 70 when its a 50... if you are doing 50 you are the odd one out, its like they forgot to turn off the signs.

I always wonder about the temp speed limits, average ones as people always seem to speed through those..

The average speed cameras on m6 il usually stay at 55ish as 50 is to slow with lorry’s trying to push you out the way but i lad at work got a ticket for doing 60 through the same road road works

Are these the so called smart motorways with the gantry over the road every like .5 mile? If so only some of them have cameras over the lanes but most seem to hsve the lines on the road in my experience. Done this myself on the way into Leeds and was ok, guessing there was no camera. I think they are a major money thief.

If they really wanted people to slow down instead of trying to catch people out they would of combined the variable speed limit with the average one. Measures you across a large distance and the limit can change dependant on congestion.

Instead weve ended up with people speeding and slowing down between sets of signs and causing more distraction to the driver as its another thing you have to keep an eye on when driving at higher than normal speeds.

Not a fan!

The M25 overhead gantries are switched off as they now use hadecs which are located to the left of some gantries. You can tell where they are as they also have 3 sets of CCTV camera's on a pole a few hundred metres before the hadecs. I always break the limit shown on gantries (never had a ticket) but slow to the limit for hadecs.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk