Lowering Springs

MikeParkin

It's my birthday
Reaction score
Hi all,

Newbie and my first post. I'm currently looking at lowering my car, has anyone done it on here.

If so what did you use?
Thinking of H&Rs.

here I will make it easier

H&R 25mm Front and 30mm Rear
Before
IMG_3346.jpg

After
IMG_3347.jpg

Reactions: IPG, shakey_hand_man, Luc s1 and 1 other person
9036fc17585bdefb28409354b366f822.jpg

e1de07315300e319caf0cc22378c69fb.jpg

KW VARIANT 3
However KW do offer springs
DTYME83

Reactions: shakey_hand_man and Luc s1
Thanks, does it effect the the drive select much ? Or does it just sturdy things up a little.

Not entirely sure that drive select actually likes the car running on a more compressed spring @MikeParkin
DTYME83

Thanks, does it effect the the drive select much ? Or does it just sturdy things up a little.

With the Full suspension you will lose ADS completely for the Suspension Part. I've read several Threads on people using Lowering springs with ADS and no real complaints about it or issues. Of course with lowering any car you eventually wear out the struts and that's usually around 3 years or so from my experience depending on amount of drop. Back in the day we used to cut or heat springs if kits weren't made for cars and those drops were like 3 inches each time and the struts would last over a year before they would start to leak.

Also Full Suspension systems have to be rebuilt after a couple of years depending on use(lots of trackdays) and that is usually more than just buying struts.

Last edited:
Yeah I think that the H&Rs are going to be the best option for me. Want I lowering but not too much. I looked into air ride but your talking 2k. ABT versions have the springs as well so I'd imagine it's going to have a similar effect if not the same.

I think it's the lowest setting possible to handle speed humps am sleeping policemen, to be honest I don't know the exact drop I just ask my tech to slam it. It handles like its on rails and it is now do flat in corners.
DTYME83

I am currently running spacers due to the fact my tarox callipers don't clear the wheels but once my BC Forged rims arrive the spacers will be removed.
DTYME83

I am currently running spacers due to the fact my tarox callipers don't clear the wheels but once my BC Forged rims arrive the spacers will be removed.
DTYME83
The 18" wheels i have are ET 39,5 and original for S1 is 37,5 ... So i thinking of spacers ... In combination with lowering springs ...H&R is what i want,modetint bot to mutch ...to many speedhumps in belgium !
Spacers .. What size ??.. The same size front and back ??

10mm all round but as I said they will be coming out once my wheels arrive
DTYME83

Does 10mm fill the arch well ? Also are you saying 20mm per axel ? Are you selling ? @DTYME83

The spacers are hub-centric, yes they do fill the arch nicely and yes they are 20mm per axel and yes as soon as my wheels turn up the spacers will be sold.
DTYME83

Mine is lowered on H&R springs as well. Have had them on for a couple of months now and don't have any issues with the ADS so far.

IMG 2966

Reactions: The Kendragon and PastS1Owner
THREAD REVIVAL

As over a year has past, I am checking to see if anyone that used the lowering springs only has had any issues with the OEM dampers since they have been fitted? The ABT and H&R springs are of interest to me.

No problems with ABT ones after 2 years and 14500 miles touch wood

Reactions: SPIKE_ and DTYME83
Im looking to get the b4 dampers & eibach pro 20mm for my 2011 a1 1.6tdi sport. Any advice? I dont want to go very low as the roads in my area isnt that great but wanted to lower the car just enough to be noticeable but keep the comfort & improve handling really. Thanks

As Sport is already lowered from Standard and Eibach quote from Standard it's going to be the ideal result for you .

Bilstein B4 are great but where available I'm going to recommend dual rate dampers that have special valving like Bilstein B4 DampMatic® but only seem available on a handful of cars that asked Bilstein to develop for them as OEM like Mercedes .

Another great alternative if available is Koni ACTIVE .

@Gazwould thanks for your reply mate & the link you provided. Yeah i was looking at the koni str.t with h&r springs 35mm setup as well.