Lowering Kit

HulkRS3

Kyalami RS3 Saloon
Reaction score
Would like to lower my S3 Saloon, but have never had a car lowered before. I know that sometimes it can compromise ride comfort, is there any way around this?

Is there a rule of thumb for working out how much you need to drop it? I have an idea in my head of what I’d like obviously but don’t know how that translates to the mm drop people speak off. I basically just want to have little to no arch gap but will be putting spacers on as well 15mm front and 20mm rear.

I'd be interested in this as well and where you are sourcing the springs from.

The lowering amount will really be personal choice but 'generally' the lower you go the stiffer it will get.

If you're wanting to change the springs alone then something like the Eibach or H&R lowering springs are always a popular option.

Damian @ DPM Performance

I lowered my 2014 8V S3 sportback on H&R springs and with the factory 18s it was ok. Became a little harsh on 19s but it was liveable.

It had adaptive suspension and I didn’t want to mess with the dampening. It was a noticeable difference going from comfort to dynamic.

It gave a nice drop as seen here for 18 and 19 inch wheels. I think it was 25-30mm. The 18s have spacers on, the 19s don't.

These are after 400 miles on the springs.

I’ve decided to do the same on the 8Y S3 Saloon and I’m trying racingline springs this time.
Don't suppose you want to be a guinnea pig for me S15THM would you? :sly:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HR 400 Miles 18
HR 400 Miles 19

Last edited:
Reactions: HulkRS3
Has anyone actually found any compatible with the 8Y gen suspension setup yet?

Has anyone actually found any compatible with the 8Y gen suspension setup yet?
Don’t think there’s any out yet but someone mechanically minded may be able to say if the 8V set up would fit.

I’d be interested in buying these but I’ve never had a car lowered before and although I have a picture in my head of how I want it to sit, I’ve no idea what that translates to in ‘mm’ springs.

An easy way is to use number of fingers between the fender and the tire.

For the 8V anyways, the standard A3 suspnsion sits with ~4 fingers, wheras the S-line and S3 suspension sits at ~3 fingers.

Most sportsprings lowers the car to ~2 to ~1.5 fingers. Coilovers can go even lower.

I can't speak for the 8Y, but I am lowered with the Bilstein B12 kit for the 8V, which consists of the Eibach Prokit springs and the Bilstein B8 shocks.

It sits a bit less than 2 fingers between fender and tire. It not only looks superb. but feels and handle noticeably better than the OEM suspensions. Unless you want to slam the car, a suspension kit like that (with proper springs and dampers) is probably all you need. Don't skip out of the dampers; do them both at once.

An easy way is to use number of fingers between the fender and the tire.

For the 8V anyways, the standard A3 suspnsion sits with ~4 fingers, wheras the S-line and S3 suspension sits at ~3 fingers.

Most sportsprings lowers the car to ~2 to ~1.5 fingers. Coilovers can go even lower.

I can't speak for the 8Y, but I am lowered with the Bilstein B12 kit for the 8V, which consists of the Eibach Prokit springs and the Bilstein B8 shocks.

It sits a bit less than 2 fingers between fender and tire. It not only looks superb. but feels and handle noticeably better than the OEM suspensions. Unless you want to slam the car, a suspension kit like that (with proper springs and dampers) is probably all you need. Don't skip out of the dampers; do them both at once.
I’m looking for the arches to sit just nicely above the tyres. People are reckoning about a 30mm drop for that?

not sure if there’s any dampers out that are compatible or if 8V ones would do the job. I’m not mechanically minded haha!

I’m looking for the arches to sit just nicely above the tyres. People are reckoning about a 30mm drop for that?

not sure if there’s any dampers out that are compatible or if 8V ones would do the job. I’m not mechanically minded haha!

That's a pretty big drop if you are aiming for no gap. That's probably another ~30 mm drop on top of the drop of the S3 suspension over standard.

Please note that the mm drop stated by manufacturers are often vs. the standard suspension of the base car. So, S3 is probably already at around -20 mm to begin with. So you are looking for something that can go to -50 mm. I would recommend the Bilsten B12 Sportline (not Prokit) build, which usually drops by 40 to 45 mm or you can go with the Bilstein B14 coilover. I reckon that dropping this low would be a lot firmer than OEM.

That's a pretty big drop if you are aiming for no gap. That's probably another ~30 mm drop on top of the drop of the S3 suspension over standard.

Please note that the mm drop stated by manufacturers are often vs. the standard suspension of the base car. So, S3 is probably already at around -20 mm to begin with. So you are looking for something that can go to -50 mm. I would recommend the Bilsten B12 Sportline (not Prokit) build, which usually drops by 40 to 45 mm or you can go with the Bilstein B14 coilover. I reckon that dropping this low would be a lot firmer than OEM.

I know the 8Y sits different to the 8V but this picture here was dropped 25mm. It’s the same sort of result I’m looking for in my 8Y, but definitely no lower.

Attachments

• BFD6CBC1-4FC2-4F8E-B03A-546BF496CD11.jpeg
    BFD6CBC1-4FC2-4F8E-B03A-546BF496CD11.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 139
have made enquiries to VW Racingline Sport Springs. will post back if I get any headway.

Reactions: bfevo
Hi.
someone used this ST springs that are On KW website ?
I have adaptive dampers on mine and it look this ones were specially made for them.
was wondering if someone tried got them.

Reactions: ego208