Low oil pressure nightmare!

mario_agu

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum, but been reading about problems with 1.8t engines quiet a lot. Cutting story short i got x-reg audi a3 112k on it. going back 3 months ago i have had low oil pressure light on. Went to local mechanic- oil + oil filter done the job ...till i realized i needed new spark plugs, as i took them out i spotted they were covered in oil. Another job- rocker cover gasket. done it. So happily driving for 20 min.... light goes on again- checked for leak form rocker cover gasket-nothing.
Crossed off faulty oil pump as it either works all the time or doesn't. Also so long as oil is hot enough i can abuse it in region on 6k rpm and light doesnt go on so long as i been driving it less then 20min.
Taking all possibilities and signs to consideration it looks like oil pick up pipe. i am now thinking taking rocker cover off again, properly removing all the carbon build up as previously it was rushed job- had to get it back working in order to get to work on Monday(i only travel 3 miles to get to work). Also sump and all the oil pipes would be coming off for cleaning/replacing. Now the question... Can i use flash Wynns Engine Flush Petrol 425ml prior to servicing/cleaning it? I guess it would help breaking down the carbon build up all around engine/ pipes
Lots of people are saying just using Engine flush will get your light on as it blocks oil pick up pipe, but since it will be getting cleaned after flushing that should be ok and help solving a problem ?

Dont really see the point of just doing sump as there is lots and lots of carbon/ gunk build up in the engine, so problem would reoccur in next few months?

Also engine seems working absolutely fine when light goes on. Next step will be sensor- only reason for doing sump first is the amount of sh****t i seen in pipes/ rocker cover so has to be done regardless
Also within 4k/3months of miles oil is absolutely black!

Would be grateful for opinions/advise of someone who done something simillar

PS: apologize for any grammar mistakes!

You need to take the sump off and change the pickup pipe any good garage that knows the 1.8t engine knows about it and I would get it done asap as it stops oil getting into the engine and turbo

Have you tried replacing the oil pressure sensor (on oil filter housing)? I've had them play up before and replacing them has solved the problem (though on a TDi). Have you scanned for fault codes?

Thanks for quick reply, what are you thought about flushing in before changing pick up pipe and obviously changing oil+filter.
Also will be doing it myself this weekend, just getting shopping list together

Have you tried replacing the oil pressure sensor (on oil filter housing)? I've had them play up before and replacing them has solved the problem (though on a TDi). Have you scanned for fault codes?

Sensor will be next thing after sump/pick up pipe. My thoughts are the sensor would probably keep playing up. As i said problem disappeared for nearly 3months after changing oli+filter. Also sump+pick up needs doing anyway.

And going for a scan today after work:)

Is yours on long life service?

What oil have you put in it?

I believe it's generally thought on here that dropping the sump and changing the oil pick up is one of the best bits of preventative maintenance you can do. When I did mine I changed the oil pump too.

If my car was showing low oil pressure, I wouldn't be driving it until the problem is rectified.

Liam

Reactions: JohnM100

Did you have a fault when our sensor went?

Is yours on long life service?

What oil have you put in it?

I believe it's generally thought on here that dropping the sump and changing the oil pick up is one of the best bits of preventative maintenance you can do. When I did mine I changed the oil pump too.

If my car was showing low oil pressure, I wouldn't be driving it until the problem is rectified.

Liam

It was long life service, mechanic told me to put 5w30, but i ll be putting 5w40. Oil pump good idea. i bought bunch of spare parts other day i think oil pump is there as well, so may as well get this done.

Even it doesn't show it for first 20 or so minutes? runs fine etc??
I had it scanned on remap session which hasn't been completed due to spark plugs dying about 2 weeks ago- no faults

You shouldn't need an oil pump, just the pickup pipe, mine was 9quid from a vw dealers and I fitted it myself in less than an hour.
An oil change with thinner oil will avoid the problem for a little while but doesn't solve it. Also engine flushes in petrol turbo engines is bad for the turbo.

You shouldn't need an oil pump, just the pickup pipe, mine was 9quid from a vw dealers and I fitted it myself in less than an hour.
An oil change with thinner oil will avoid the problem for a little while but doesn't solve it. Also engine flushes in petrol turbo engines is bad for the turbo.

got a pick up pipe already, just got to get sealant. i do have spare oil pump so will look in to it. Regarding flush- i am planning to get KO3S on it soon anyway.

i will be actually putting thicker oil as the one i am running it on now is to thin.

Also has been scanned last night- no faults

Last edited:
thanks to you all for advice... Finally got to do the pick up pipe over the weekend, seems to start much better on cold star and no low oil pressure light yet! fingers crossed.

Advice for anyone going to mechanics with this problem... don't bother with most of them. Went to 3 different ones- all blaming oil pump and wouldn't even consider pick up pipe after telling them. Pushing and pushing to get oil pump replaced.
They probably would charge you for new oil pump and then just clean oil pick up.

now time to come back to trying to remap it as last time it just wouldn't boost past 4800rpm. Anyone had similar problems? Spark plugs have been changed month ago, still firing all on 4 so coil packs should be ok? any suggestions? again no codes.

Last edited: