Looking at an A3, 12k budget

Padtwo

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been tasked with finding a car for a relative returning to this country.

The criteria is that it has to be an Audi, automatic, ideally a hatchback and have cruise control. With a 12k budget. I currently have a couple of diesels, a GTD and an A6 (177) and so am swayed towards a diesel but having had a quick look on here a lot of people seem to champion the petrols.

I know things have moved on quite a bit in the last couple of years and this is what I have gathered so far.

Criteria and price has narrowed me down to an A3, preferably a sportback and an A5 sportback, mileage is more important than age to a degree.

If I can I would like to avoid a multitronic, not an issue with the A3 but would mean a Quattro with the A5.

I like the spec on the SE technik, but if I can stretch to a Sport or Sline then even better. Maybe an Sline with the Sport suspension for a better ride? (When they visited a few years ago, bizarrely it was cheaper to add them to the insurance on the S3 rather than a polo and the ride may have been a little hard)

They have also expressed a concern about the impending to doom to be put upon diesels, but that’s not so much an issue with a Euro 6 car. The 150 engine looks to have had a tweak September 2014’ish to make it Euro 6, and the 190 introduced in the larger models to pass the stricter emissions

The 184 engine always seems to have been Euro 6, and between all of the, that would be the favoured choice, but not many about for the money with sensible miles. Also a small loss of boot space due to the extra diff at the back (I was constantly reminded we could get more in the back of my wife’s polo than the S3 so am acutely aware of this!)

I have also seen failures on the 1.4 petrols, I know VW had problems with some of the higher powered variants, and I have also been advised that the timing chains on them aren’t brilliant and can stretch causing problems, but I am also aware that things are constantly moving on.

So, how do the Petrol stack up against the diesels, am I on the right track, more specifically are there any models that either stand out or should be avoided.

Thank you for any help