Limp mode, tc and stability lights on

JudderMan

Reaction score
I was driving on a dual carriageway yesterday and went to accelerate off one of the roundabouts in 2nd gear gear when it quickly went into limp mode. Wasn't driving hard as had the wife and baby in the car.

Managed to pull over, the tc and stability lights were on. Limp mode was keeping isle at 1k rpm and would only rev to 1.1k rpm no higher. Checked for codes but none there but sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders even though the idle was rock steady at 1k. Turned car off and it was fine again.

Any ideas? Coilpack? Not sure why tc lights were on. Have Googled this but threads came back with nothing conclusive.

How old are your coil packs? Perhaps you have one breaking down? How old is your maf?

Not sure but I haven't changed them in the 18 months I've had it. Maf is about a year old.

Don't understand why the tc lights came on if it was a Coilpack... If it is those how much are they? Audi or tps?

Was tje tc light on or flickering.
Whenever i lose a coilpack my tc light flickers as the car misses

Was tje tc light on or flickering.
Whenever i lose a coilpack my tc light flickers as the car misses

The TC and stability lights stayed on. It did sound like it was missing slightly (not like I've felt before on older cars). As mentioned turned it off and on again and it was back to normal. Haven't started it this morning.

Something like this always happens when I need to do a long drive this coming weekend.....grrr

Tbh mate ive had countless times like this and a switch off and on cures it. ****** 1.8t's
You scanned it?

LOL :)

Yeah I have the Torque Pro app and checked straight away. I checked again with VCDS (lite..) when I got home. No codes. I'm right in thinking that if it was the coilpacks that it would give a misfire code? Which leads me to think the MAF might be gash - I didn't get a Bosch MAF from TPS last year, it was about £65 but can't remember the brand. I've just had it remapped so that's why I thought it might be the coilpacks as I know a remap tends to make them go bang but I'm not sure what the hell it is now.

Limp mode was keeping isle at 1k rpm and would only rev to 1.1k rpm no higher. Checked for codes but none there but sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders even though the idle was rock steady at 1k. Turned car off and it was fine again.

This will have thrown a torque limit exceeded code... its related to the MAF... the 1krpm limit is a safety feature to prevent the engine grenading itself... scan with VCDS as generic tools don't always pick certain codes up

Last time I got this I replaced the MAF and has been fine since

<tuffty/>

Reactions: JudderMan
That happened to mine and after switching off and back on and it was fine.After looking over the car I found a pipe split and broke so after fixing that the car has never done it again so check your pipes first

That happened to mine and after switching off and back on and it was fine.After looking over the car I found a pipe split and broke so after fixing that the car has never done it again so check your pipes first

What pipe? A vac pipe? I've replaced most of them, catch can'd it, N249 delete, SAI delete. There is a possible leak under the inlet that I need to get some pipe for.

Thanks Tufty as always, will get it to my mate who has Vagcom and get a 'real' Bosch MAF instead of an imposter MAF.

I've had this. Clean/check the throttle body flap and the AIT sensor.

Reactions: JudderMan