Lights wiring problem

aldowski

Reaction score
Hi;

I have Audi A3 8L 1.9 TDI; year 2001.

Recently I had issues with right main light (it's Xenon 35W with HID ballast, I got car with those).

I thought it may be the bulb, so I bought bulb 35W, installed it. It worked 30 - 40 seconds, started flickering for few seconds then turned off.

I found that Capacitor 4700 microfarads, 35V may help in this if connected to specific wires, checked tutorial, connected it exactly as described. Did not help.

Then I did bypass the HID and put ordinary halogen bulb there to the headlight. Yes, different color, different strength,anyway it is workaround till solution. That was two weeks ago.

Yesterday, even the halogen stopped working. Works few minutes, then not, then works again. Looks like some bad contact in wiring.

I opened the headlight, checked connections, checked main bulb connection, it started to work, then was off again. Also, I reseated small position white light, it went off as well. Not broken, it is not getting the power.

Now three lights/ bulbs not working: main light bulb, small position bulb, red back position bulb.
Still working: long light bulb, parking orange bulb, fog light bulb. All mentioned bulbs are at the right side of the car.

Have to mention that I checked fuses, did reseat all of them. Fuse 18 is related for those lights, it is checked, OK.

The issue seems to wiring related. Have to ask if someone has some suggestion for this, what to do?

Thank you.

Hope that somebody has some wiring diagram, details related to wires providing connection to Right Low beam light, Right Parking (Position) light, Right Rear Position light. Is there a possibility for the wiring towards Fuse box to be broken, or wiring towards Light switch? Anybody has experience with similar / same issue?

Thank you.

Thanks for reply.
I found one issue at fuse box, where fuse 22 has damaged contacts, after it was fixed, I put fuse again, I got right lights working again, except the Main beam at that side - still not working.
For the right side Low and High beam lights have fuses 20 and 18. I checked them, both are good. Next step would be to check wires behind headlight box and then wires behind light switch and those going to fuse box.
What is surprising - Audi at that time has reversed position of Low and High beam bulbs, so, light switch and wiring is different, even the car version is still 8L.