Facelift Light sensor

Iulix

Reaction score
Hello lads,

Long story short: I had a crash and had both my headlights replaced. I have a feeling that the "Auto" function for the headlights is not switching properly now between daylights and low beam and that the light sensor requires a bit more light for the switch to happen in the morning and that it switches to quickly back to low beam in the evening.

I went back to Audi, telling them this and they said that, since the windscreen wasn't replaced, there should be no issues with the light sensor. I also played with the settings in the MMI, but they doesn't seem to affect this in any way.

Is there anything that could have changed during the headlights change? Is the light sensor configurable?

Thanks.

The light sensor is located in the base of your rear view mirror, mounted to the windscreen glass. The dealership is correct in that if nothing within this area was damaged or replaced then all should be "as it was" but the rain and light sensor is configurable. Its a slave to the 09 control module and it can be set to compensate for different types and colours of glass, however in facelift vehicles some of its settings and configurations have been moved to 09 control modules adaptation channel control. It maybe while replacing your headlights, which are also controlled in part via the 09 control module, that something has been changed.

Might be worth asking your dealership to "reset" your 09 control modules coding and adaptations in order to make sure that everything is as it should be. The process is known as SVM (Software Version Management).

Reactions: Bonstio
Thank you @DJAlix for your detailed clarification. Do you think the reset is something I can do myself (I have a friend with a VCDS) or just the dealerships are able to do that?

Thank you @DJAlix for your detailed clarification. Do you think the reset is something I can do myself (I have a friend with a VCDS) or just the dealerships are able to do that?
SVM is not something you can do without the correct "online" tool. You will need a dealership or authorised 3rd party such as myself. Personally I would go back to the dealership that did your repairs, tell them the issues and let them sort it out. Ask them to perform the SVM and see what they say.

Will do as you proposed. Thank you mate.