Licence plate hole plugs

CanadaA3wales

Canadian living in South Wales - Audi A3 8V 150BHP
Reaction score
Hey
I am getting new plates made and I dont want to drill into them and fill the existing holes in the rear bumper.
The only place I can see to buy plugs from is USA from Bumper Plugs.
My car is a 2014 A3 2.0 TDI but there is 3 different types of red which it could be.

1. Does anyone know the paint code for this year, as the ones I can find are
LY3D - LY3C and LY3J

2. Does anyone know if anyone sells these plugs in the uk as they are 27.00 for 2 little plastic dots which is stupid expensive.

I am getting slightly smaller plates thats why they need to be covered.

Thanks all

Number plate is on the boot lid not bumper.
Your small plates should cover up the holes unless they are ridiculously small which won’t be legal anyway. Just use sticky foamy pads over the holes to hold the new number plate.

Reactions: S32B and Phutters
Hey you can have short plates which are perfectly legal.
The previous owner put the holes right on the edges so no the new slightly shorter plates won't cover the holes.

Hey you can have short plates which are perfectly legal.
The previous owner put the holes right on the edges so no the new slightly shorter plates won't cover the holes.

Every Audi I’ve had has predrilled holes from factory, 3 a6’s and s3, on rear and sticky front plates so I’ve managed to used the same private plates between cars so not sure what the previous owner did on yours. Maybe a picture might help.
to be honest a painted plastic bung even the same factory colour will look a bit rubbish.

Has anyone bought short 5 digit plates, and have they found these holes an issue?
If not then I will just cover them with the double sided tape.

Standard holes are about 8-9 inches apart. I would say even a small 5 digit plate will be wider if it uses the correct fonts and spacing.
Robbed from another forum, each letter must be 50mm wide, 11mm apart and 33mm space in the middle. On a small 5 digit plate that makes it around 13in wide so should cover the holes.
Unless your plate is full of 1’s and I’s then it won’t be that wide.

Thanks AIS3BE
I think I will have to ask them to cut the plates custom to just cover the holes.
I've had another look and the seem a few cm from the edge.
I find it strange they drill holes into the body instead of using tape or a plate holder.
They are putting holes in cars body's for no reason lol

Thanks AIS3BE
I think I will have to ask them to cut the plates custom to just cover the holes.
I find it strange they drill holes into the body instead of using tape or a plate holder.

You will find some owners have bad experiences of plates held on with adhesive pads. On my previous car the radius on the the fitting area proved a problem and two screws were fitted. The pads you buy from accessory shops are not always the best. I use double sided foam glazing tape, bought on the roll, and find this far superior. It is also a lot cheaper.

Colin

Hey Colin
I got double sided tape from proximo plates when they sent my private plates.
I'm not using those plates as I'm buying black Ruby red 3d gel plates. I still have time to find something that won't ruin my car.
Have you got a link to which pads you are using and easy to get off if needed?
The ones that came with the plates were only 2.00, if I put them on are they likely to not come off with scraping?
We can't win with plates can we lol.
Thanks Colin, you've been really helpful

Thanks AIS3BE

the holes look like they are pressed in the panel with a fixer/nut so it can be screwed without scratching the paint and start rust. It’s flush with the panel as far as I can see but there’s a sticky foam pad there as well in the shape of a number plate. I assume it’s to stop vibrations.