Facelift Left headlight changed - Different DRL brightness

dnzbdr

Reaction score
My left DRL were gone and had them replaced under warranty. Both LED electronic module and headlight assembly changed, like 2 months before.

Now it is brighter than the right one, see the difference? Look at the thickness of the light please. This is driving me crazy.

Wondering if it happened to anyone else. What do you think if I go back to the dealer and tell them to change the other as well? What is the point of getting an Audi, when most attractive function of the car works asymmetrical?

Attachments

• IMG_20180715_134900.jpg
    IMG_20180715_134900.jpg
    603 KB · Views: 728
I'd second what Richard said, clearly a warranty issue being a two month old repair.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I think they would do what they said.. As would I.

Go to Audi and get them to fix it. Not much else worth doing.

May be worth checking the output is set correctly with vcds.

I think the default for FL cars are DRL at 127%, your other one may be incorrectly set lower at 100%??

@monopole

I will be visiting the dealer tomorrow and first will ask if they can check the output values. I couldn't find any info, whether it has separate brightness values for left and right.

On the other hand, as far as I know they only changed the hardware. It seems it's not a software issue.

Hope it can be solved. I posted here to get some initial feedback before going to the dealer, thank you all.

Yes, all the light units are coded individually.

Your car may have originally been 100% and when a new one was fitted, set to 127

But like you say, this may all be a hardware and it looks brighter as it is newer than the "old" one, gl with your visit.

Looking at your photo there does certainly appear to be a difference, with the left one being slightly dimmer and not as thick.
It can be hard to see these things accurately from a photo, but if it looks the same or worse when viewing from standing in front of the car then it would bug the hell out of me!
As others have said go back to your dealer. :)

Reactions: Scotty75
Urmmmm never known individual headlight settings for brightness, that's not to say vag haven't changed this now, however question I'd ask, to what need would one be required brighter in any situation unless it was a technical reason of course.

via VCDS

DRL brightness increase with headlight ON

Module 09
Security Access 16 - 31347
Adaptions 10

Leuchte2SL VLB10 – Dimmwert AB2

> to new value (50 for example), Default 30

Leuchte3SL VRB21 – Dimmwert AB3

> to new value (50 for example), Default 30

Main Beam Brightness (LED only)

Module 09

Security Access 16 – 31347

Adaptions 10

Leuchte8FL LB39-Dimmwert AB8

> Set 127 (default 100)

Leuchte9FL RB2-Dimmwert AB9

> Set 127 (default 100)

Reactions: NHN
There are options for DRL only, but these were the notes I have available

Reactions: NHN
Security access adaption makes little more sense, but not a standard coding option per se, however still bizarre vag should include such settings unless they are concerned leds in one side wouldnt have the same brightness as the other from manufacturing, hence the need for this.

Today I visited my authorized service (the one replaced the headlight).

They are telling the difference is not much and can barely seen, but I was insisting on it is killing me and not acceptable. Knowing that one of the headlights is changed and has a different brightness, is enough to think it all the day.

Next week they will take some photos and send them to Germany, to see what Germany's response will be. I'm in Turkey btw.

Maybe it can be solved by just replacing the electronic module, which has the DRL LED lights on it, rather than replacing the whole headlight assembly. If it is decided to be changed of course.

Sounds like they are getting ready to say that it is within tolerance. You can clearly see the difference in your photo, but to be honest it shouldn’t bother too much. You can’t see it most of the time - you are in the car or it’s not running.
I’m not really sure that I’ve ever really seen my drl’s. I certainly couldn’t swear that they both work actually.

Replacement unit brightness should be the same as the existing unit. Changing out a unit will not alter its brightness settings in "coding" within the 09 module however, depending on which lighting unit we are talking about 09 does not actually control them, the lighting clusters now have their own control units built in, Address D1 etc, and there will be settings in there.

Edit: If the left was replaced and is now brighter than the right, it could be that the right unit is on the way out...

If the reason for having less brightness on the right is because of LED unit becoming old (below image), then it will be OK I guess. Replacing it should probably solve it.

Although the difference is not much, in the end there is. If Germany (whoever deals with it) does not accept to change the LED unit, I will!

Attachments

• 971ff63348db823ade40d2a048f0.jpg
    971ff63348db823ade40d2a048f0.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 240