LED Headlights

I’m talking about the dynamic light assist pack for the xenons which was an extra cost which did include the swivel into corners and did have a semi - matrix function where the part of the high beam could block the light path for onward cars. It was a very rare option, and price since it needed lane assist pack aswell, this pack blocked the need for high beam assist since it was already part of the pack.

Adaptive Xenon + Variable Light Range = Matrix Function

Yep, I had this option. It was nothing like as good or as complicated as the matrix lights though, which I have now.

Well the PFL xenons where classed as bi-Xenon where the projector is just a single projector for both high and low beam. Where there is a shutter which blocked the top portion of the beam when in low beam mode. Flash your high beam Xenon unit and you can hear the mechanical shutter noise as it moves up. The variable light function added in another shutter which blocked light for the inner edges so it can block light hitting the vehicle in front but still light up full beam around the vehicle. Like I said it’s a very rare option as many didn’t know what it really did or was.

I’m sure I can find a video which shows the swivelling lights and the matrix ish function on the pre-facelift vehicle. This same feature was available on the mqb golf r PFL.

The variable range lights only dipped the full beam at once, not part of them. In theory it could do each light individually (as I understood it) but I never ever saw this in practice. There was no 'sideways' shutter, though the lights did swivel sideways into the corners as you say. A world apart from matrix LEDs though.

OK matrix man................yer talkin gash no xenon bulb swivels left to right on a A3/s3 NONE IT MAY go up or down according to traffic in front in conjunction with camera.........but end of.....l do know what l am talking about

You're wrong here jassyo06, they certainly did swivel left to right to shine around bends. You could see and hear this happen when you started up the car and the lights did their self-check 'dance'. Afraid you don't know what you're talking about here.

To compare them to matrix lights though is ridiculous.

l liked your post by way just for your Persistence mate in this matter,l also just to make sure l consulted my son who sold Audi's for 4 years on this subject and the option didnt even exist

1. You had the standard xenon head lights with Led DRLS
2.You had the Adaptive headlights with a cornering bulbs in conjunction with high beam assist,you couldnt have one without the other....hence rare and expensive
3.LED headlights with dynamic indicators had High beam assist as standard....

Couldn’t a monkeys a** if you liked my post or not Doc, first of all you didn’t even know that the Xenon unit had both high and low beam function hence the name Bi-Xenon, and used a shutter to manipulate the high-low beam. Did you check this with you son ?

Yep you have the standard bi-Xenon units.

Then had the adaptive (swivel into bends, corner lights as per the brochure) if yours don’t swivel into bends then you better get your brochure out when you ordered your car because if it’s states in there, they swivel and yours don’t then I guess you have a faulty unit. Because if you paid £300 for this option then I call that daylight robbery. No pun intended :)

High beam assist was selectable on either the basic xenons and led leadlights but not on the adaptive xenons.

Variable headlight options which varied beam between high and low beam constantly - only available with side assist/lane assist. this is the super rare option which you rarely see on any 8v’s.

Then you had led headlights which had incorpated the turn signals into the day time led strip. Not dynamic indicators as you just said.

And for the record, working at Audi doesn’t necessary mean the information you know is correct. Selling a car is not the same as knowing each and individual option on every single Audi.

Yep, I had this option. It was nothing like as good or as complicated as the matrix lights though, which I have now.

Well of course it’s not as good as the current style matrix Headlights, Light tech has improved vastly since the first gen 8v’s came out. Give it a few years and tech like laser lights will make the current system look old age. But thanks for agreeing with me on that the option did exist.

Although I think I confused the variable range with the dynamic light assist from the golf r. Which I know 100% has side shutters which could create a black tunnel for the car infront. Funny how the ‘cheaper/less posh brand’ had a better feature than its sister car.

Last edited:
Well of course it’s not as good as the current style matrix Headlights, Light tech has improved vastly since the first gen 8v’s came out. Give it a few years and tech like laser lights will make the current system look old age. But thanks for agreeing with me on that the option did exist.

Well yes, but you said "Adaptive Xenon + Variable Light Range = Matrix Function" which is a bit ridiculous. It was nothing like as good, and didn't even work that well either tbh.

The video pasted appears to show normal high beam assist I think. The variable range had much slower motion back up, though was able to dip pretty instantly when it saw a car. The video shows the full beam coming on again almost instantly, and no motion shown.

Well yes, but you said "Adaptive Xenon + Variable Light Range = Matrix Function" which is a bit ridiculous. It was nothing like as good, and didn't even work that well either tbh.

The video pasted appears to show normal high beam assist I think. The variable range had much slower motion back up, though was able to dip pretty instantly when it saw a car. The video shows the full beam coming on again almost instantly, and no motion shown.

I called it matrix function, just a statement to say what it tried to mimic. Never meant it to be understood/compared to what the current matrix systems do.

Video was just to show the swivelling feature just to prove that feature did exist.

Reactions: cemerson