Leaky Footwell / bonnet catch

Raniom

Reaction score
I seem to be collecting some water after heavy rain in my driverside footwell. It appears to be coming out of the bonnet catch, but I'm guessing it's coming in somewhere else and running out of that. Any ideas? I've had a poke around the door and sunroof seals and there is nothing obviously awry.
Cheers chaps

I would guess it’s something to do with the drain from the wipers area?

Reactions: Raniom
Time to get the hosepipe out, a helping hand or tape directional hose to the the bin lid & a torch, cause these issues usually only 1 way to find.

Most likely coming from your sunroof. I had the same issue with my A6. Tried sealing it with Captain Tolley and it still leaked :(

You'll need to drop the headliner to see exactly where it's coming from. The frame develops a crack and therefore water bypasses the drains and makes its way down the A pillar and out through the bonnet catch

I never did fixt it properly before I sold it :(

Captain Tolley - interesting product, thanks for the suggestion. Is there a guide to dropping the headliner anywhere?

Captain Tolley - interesting product, thanks for the suggestion. Is there a guide to dropping the headliner anywhere?
you need some interior trim removal tools but you don’t need to drop the whole headliner

pop off the a pillar trim (mind the airbag!) and remove the drivers sun visor and grab handle and you’ll be able to pull the headliner down far enough to get at it

The saga continues. Never got round to solving it from February. I just put some duct tape over the sunroof seams and then took it off for the summer. Now however it's starting to rain again, so the troubles recommence.

I whipped the lower trims off the driverside that cover the fuse box. Had a brief unsuccessful wrestle with the A pillar trim which will be my next task.

In the meantime I got some cable and threaded it through the drainage hole in the sunroof. It came out of the hole below the door hinges ok and didn't seem dirty, so I can cross off the list 'blocked drainage pipe'.

I then poured some water directly down the sunroof drainage hole. Some came out the door hinge hole, but also a lot dripped out of the bottom of the A pillar trim.

So it would seem to me that the pipe itself has a leak in it.

Will update once the battle of A pillar trim has been won.

A pillar trim and pulling the corner of the roof lining wasn't too bad.

After pouring some water in the sunroof, I could see that the pipe seemed ok. However a lot of water was coming in through this square hole (blue pipe just for aid of visualisation). Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20220925_132531.jpg
    20220925_132531.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 54
  • 20220925_132544.jpg
    20220925_132544.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 51
Should there be a square bung in that hole, I'd need to check etka tbh, but how much water is getting through as tbh one would think the roof seal will stop it, is the seal compromised, can't remember the whole saga without reading it again.

Should there be a square bung in that hole, I'd need to check etka tbh, but how much water is getting through as tbh one would think the roof seal will stop it, is the seal compromised, can't remember the whole saga without reading it again.
Yeah I would have thought a bung should be there, but I couldn't see anything floating around.
Water is literally ******* straight in through it. When I stripped it all and tested pouring water for ages straight down the tube (as I thought this was the leak) no leaks, all poured straight out the drainage. So I was a bit more liberal with my water pouring over the whole general area. It then poured in through that hole.
Water seems to be collecting in the recess for the fold-down wind deflector and I'd personally say it should be running into the area infront where the drainage tube is.
Which 'roof seal'? The exterior one that edges the whole sun-roof? Or is there one 'inside' the sunroof to redirect water to the intended drainage pipes?
Cheers

Yes the glass edge seal, it shouldn't be getting gushes of water in so the volume water test maybe mute as that's not normal for the roof to experience & thus of course it will overflow into the open areas namely the square hole you've found, I am doubtful this is anything problematic as if the roof seal holds, the most you'd see is a few drops here & there, it should never reach an overflow state to go into that hole imho.