1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Lag - Delay - Hesitation

CH 12 May 7, 2017

1. Klickflip

Klickflip Quattro 4 life TFSI Owners Group Team Phantom quattro Black Edition S tronic

Definitely not poor driving , that’s really patronising .
    Even if your car doesn’t have the lag , you would have to experience one that does .
    Take a normal right turn or busy roundabout scenario.
    - there is a gap in busy traffic , a reasonable gap but not huge. You have about 20 car lengths or 4 secs gap to pull out into.
    Sounds safe .. you take foot off brake put foot down quickly and 1/3rd to 1/2 way down.
    Nothing happens at all , car does not move ... nada for 1 whole second.
    Then car moves out slowly at 2-5 mph , you push throttle further down.
    Your throttle actions of the last 2 or do seconds are by no way relative to how long or fast the car has moved from taking foot off the brake .
    And by this point the car approaching is getting close , they beep or flash you as in their eyes you have pulled out really slowly (like a nervous blind granny!)
    Now by this time the car decides to engage clutch or fly by wire as you intended 3 send ago and all the power rushes to the wheels , putting you in a another but very different situation .
    You suddenly catapult from a crawl to full speed , often getting under steer and over turning you have to correct and next having to brake because you now shot to 35mph in 2secs , catching up the gap of car that was a huge way ahead .

Basically , the car does not move when you put foot down from a standstill . Then the throttle fly by wire dies not transmit the actual revs you have given it relative to foot throttle position .
    Further the clutch is feathering throttle in.
    So when the system decides to act normal again you have a lot of power going down suddenly getting sent up wheels .
    And if it’s a Quattro , there will be no wheel spin you will launch like a delayed launch control !

Ideally I’ve learnt to try and keep rolling into a junction even if it means leaving a big gap as you roll to junctions , which can **** off cars behind that they get dangerously close.

Kondax likes this.
  2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group S-line owners group saloon Audi A4

I wouldn't call it poor driving and the dsg has a reputation amongst certain owners for what you are describing. I did research the gearbox considerably before I purchased my car, and tested various cars with both dsg and automatic gearboxes, and it was an area of concern. However I was pleasantly surprised and seem to have one that is ok, or I have adapted to it immediately.
    I do feel that diesel turbo lag may also play a strong part in this.

You mention Mercedes being better, however, in my research into my new CLA a number of owners are complaining just as much with the A180 and A200 setups, but not with the A250 and I know that in other models the complaints about them being lazy are high...

4. ZZidane

ZZidane Member

I'm currently experimenting with manual to see if that helps.

cuke2u likes this.
  5. Gazwould

Gazwould Well-Known Member

I'm sure all this is drive by wire related and the often built in delay so people of very mature years can drive.

Pedal box / Sprint Booster should sort :icon thumright:

6. The Jargen

The Jargen Member

While it is drive by wire related, its nothing to do with slowing people down and probably due to meeting emission targets.

7. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group S-line owners group saloon Audi A4

What you are really stating is that us 'mature' drivers have more skills than younger ones to deal with this issue...

Gazwould likes this.
  8. LukeHawk

LukeHawk Member Team Ibis TFSI Owners Group Audi A4

What kills me about this is the inconsistency. With mine, it happens sometimes, and other times it's incredibly responsive. I never know what to expect when going from slowing down/stopping to suddenly accelerating. If it was always the same, I could learn to adapt, but it's a mixed bag for me. This is all in comfort mode, and "D", I seldom go to dynamic or even just "S" mode..... fuel is expensive these days.

9. shadenville

shadenville New Member

I’ve recently had a gearbox (TCU I guess) update applied by Swindon Audi and its made a big difference to the previously laggy/delayed gearbox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cuke2u likes this.