Facelift Known fault with FL RS3 - ticking exhaust valve..

Have you seen the story in Pistonheads today about Ford now admitting an engine issue with their 2016 2017 RS focus.... they're offering to fix all cars regardless of warranty mileage etc.

It can take a while the manfacturers to sort out ALL the issues and finally own up.
Hopefully Audi might.
Saying that the brake issues seem to have run for a few years on the PFL.
I'm hopeful the FL redesigned brakes are ok. No squealing so far.
However there is now the exhaust issue! Doh, you can't win !!

I'll know one way or the other tomorrow, what they propose to do...........

Reactions: teslaboy
Agreed ..... stamping on the brakes does stop the squeal for a while - but that is added wear & tear on your pads & discs.

I try to avoid that and just pressure wash the discs weekly to get rid of all the brake dust build up (& the squeal that goes with it).

Reactions: AudiNutta
Agreed ..... stamping on the brakes does stop the squeal for a while - but that is added wear & tear on your pads & discs.

I try to avoid that and just pressure wash the discs weekly to get rid of all the brake dust build up (& the squeal that goes with it).

I do pressure wash the discs because the holes in them get packed full of pas residue but I have no doubt I don’t do it as thoroughly as you. Back to regular use of the car, I’m unlucky if I hear the squeal once a week so I’m happy and won’t be spending £350 on new pads yet. When I replace them down the line, I will get Ferrodo’s or Redstuff no doubt.

Braking from just above the speed limit firmly I do get a vibration through the car but nothing in normal driving limits so I’m trying to ignore it? I know the miserable git at Audi will say it’s outside normal operational parameters and excessive and heavy use by breaking the speed limit on private roads will have caused the issue.

The brakes work really damn well, but the car gets so unstable from high speeds under FULL braking that I very rarely find myself using 75% of the power even.. plus it’s near painful, haha.

I think if you do get substantial build up of pad dust on the discs that can affect the braking performance a little & possibly cause some mild judder.

Heavy braking gets rid of the squeal but doesn’t remove all the brake dust.

@1664Hatter, have they managed to fix the rattle? Talked to my dealer and they say they can replace the exhaust system but they do not know if it gonna fix the rattle, They say it's maybe manufacturing problems. So the chance is that it will be rattle again... The TPI they got it´s wait until Audi have a solution on that...

Hi Sorry, been a busy week. I've got the car back, but the replacement part (the rear exhaust system) is still on order. Like you, I'm not convinced it is going to solve the problem! Will keep you posted once it's fitted.

I do have a new rear seat belt that was also swapped due to a recall.

Reactions: Macintosh88 and AudiNutta
Have you seen the story in Pistonheads today about Ford now admitting an engine issue with their 2016 2017 RS focus.... they're offering to fix all cars regardless of warranty mileage etc

The whole reason I’m on this forum and have an RS3 on order haha... I sold my RS at the back end of last summer all because of Fords f*** up with the way they were treating customers etc... it’s been know about for well over 12 month about the problems but Ford kept quiet... they’ve replaced hundreds of engines in RS’s and got to the point where they were refusing warranty on daft little things, but now they’ve come out and admitted it’s their fault right from the start... embarrassing for the company I feel

Reactions: JamesCrs3
Ok an Update

Just back from Audi

They acknowledge the Exhaust doesn’t sound right and are at a loss as to how the cold start rattle is stopped by pulling back into S mode (in all drive select modes too)
However, he’s had the sound files etc and He checked the system for any updated info, which there is, apparently there’s now a modified back section of the sports exhaust available, so he’s ordered it and it’ll be fitted a week today.

Interestingly he said mines the first he’s seen where applying pressure on the pivot point of the flaps doesn’t stop the noise, this is Audi’s way of identifying the rattle.
But as I said earlier he acknowledged there is an issue in the exhaust.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Ok an Update

Just back from Audi

They acknowledge the Exhaust doesn’t sound right and are at a loss as to how the cold start rattle is stopped by pulling back into S mode (in all drive select modes too)
However, he’s had the sound files etc and He checked the system for any updated info, which there is, apparently there’s now a modified back section of the sports exhaust available, so he’s ordered it and it’ll be fitted a week today.

Interestingly he said mines the first he’s seen where applying pressure on the pivot point of the flaps doesn’t stop the noise, this is Audi’s way of identifying the rattle.
S mode obviously increases the revs. Could it be that it's changing the frequency of the vibrations and therefore stopping it rattling in such a way that it causes the rattling sound. Or is this specifically happening in those first few seconds on a cold start before the revs drop down?

S mode obviously increases the revs. Could it be that it's changing the frequency of the vibrations and therefore stopping it rattling in such a way that it causes the rattling sound. Or is this specifically happening in those first few seconds on a cold start before the revs drop down?

Cold start revs are high anyway @Doc

Putting it in S mode seems to open the left hand flap and the noise stops.

Once the car is warm putting it into comfort (flaps shut) the flaps rattle.

Ok an Update

Just back from Audi

Keen on following with this story as I too suffer the irritating cold start rattle. I usually just let it settle before driving off but have noticed on some occasions there is a light rattle even at idle or during normal acceleration. As with others, the rattle stops when in dynamic. Sometimes it is difficult to pin point the source of the rattle, but it is highly unlikely it is anything other than the exhaust valves although honestly I haven't investigated in detail. Have the car booked in for Feb 5 so lets see what happens then.

Hi Sorry, been a busy week. I've got the car back, but the replacement part (the rear exhaust system) is still on order. Like you, I'm not convinced it is going to solve the problem! Will keep you posted once it's fitted.

When was your car manufactured to need a new seat belt? Worried about mine now.....

In addition to rattle on cold starts, my rattle sometimes when I accelerate when I have my panoramic roof open. I don´t hear that when I it´s closed.

I got a new TPI 2048256/3. My dealer say that TPI they will fix the rattle. But the funny thing is in the TPI, there it is specific RS3 manufactured from September 18th and beyond. My is manufactured September 9th ... my dealer will only get an ok from Audi that it's mine too. Then they will replace it, but still a little strange. Those who have the rattle problem are on all FL models.

Maybe there are 2 issues here? the normal cold start rattle and an actual valve fault?
Mine rattles consistently when starting the car for 15 or so seconds, and it makes no odds if I shift into S. Once the car is warm, If I turn it on an hour or so later, I get no noise at all. Mine was manufactured September 4th.

Maybe there are 2 issues here? the normal cold start rattle and an actual valve fault?
Mine rattles consistently when starting the car for 15 or so seconds, and it makes no odds if I shift into S. Once the car is warm, If I turn it on an hour or so later, I get no noise at all. Mine was manufactured September 4th.

I made a point of listening to mine this morning. It really isn’t loud at all, only ever so slight and you’ve got a job to hear it inside the car until you know what you’re listening for.

I’m really not bothered about having it fixed, but if Audi want to offer me a free exhaust system with no loss then I will take it to remove the tiny bit of rattle there is.
If they replace all the systems, the old ones are going to end up in the bin so I will try my hardest to get the old one back but that won’t happen.

At first they dismissed the rattle as a new Audi secondary Air injection technic on the new engine, to warm up the catalyst quicker, however they couldn’t explain why the cold start rattle / metallic noise stopped upon flicking the box into S.

Plus the exhaust valve rattle on mine is getting worse.

I had mine done a few weeks ago - exhaust back section replaced by dealer under warranty; dealer was great about it.

Car is much better at start-up - no rattle / ticking noise.

Overall the car is a bit louder in D, noticeably louder in S and when warm starting much, much louder. Still not as loud as PFL but more than loud enough for me

Reactions: teslaboy and T-800
I had mine done a few weeks ago - exhaust back section replaced by dealer under warranty; dealer was great about it.

Overall the car is a bit louder in D, noticeably louder in S and when warm starting much, much louder. Still not as loud as PFL but more than loud enough for me

What did you say to the dealer was the problem for them to swap it over for a new part? Mine is horrible on first start up and totally lets the sound of the car down in my opinion. The first time I took it to work a colleague parked next to me and the first thing he mentioned was the ticking noise, I had to come up with some excuse, something along the lines of...'Oh yeah, they all do that'. Rather embarrassing for a 50K car.

Reactions: T-800
Just described the sound / noise.

They took the car in overnight, did a cold start and then told me that a new back box was required.

Parts ordered, fitted and all ok now.

Know what you mean about the terrible noise on start-up but now OK.

Reactions: T-800
What did you say to the dealer was the problem for them to swap it over for a new part? Mine is horrible on first start up and totally lets the sound of the car down in my opinion. The first time I took it to work a colleague parked next to me and the first thing he mentioned was the ticking noise, I had to come up with some excuse, something along the lines of...'Oh yeah, they all do that'. Rather embarrassing for a 50K car.

With that last quote you should get a job as an audi technician.

Reactions: RS3-Rob and teslaboy
Mine was built July-October, collected the car October 20th 2017

Mine was built in October and collected in November.

Did they say why it needed a belt? I’m quite concerned about it, will be paying a visit to my dealer on Monday.

This is good news!
I'll be paying my dealer a visit.
But I'll need a replacement car whilst they keep it in to do a cold start plus the enivitable wait for the replacement back box.

Just described the sound / noise.

They took the car in overnight, did a cold start and then told me that a new back box was required.

Parts ordered, fitted and all ok now.

Know what you mean about the terrible noise on start-up but now OK.

14oth
Would you mind telling who your Audi dealer is?
I can then get my dealer (m25 Audi Whetstone) to call them so they become aware of the issue nice and easy and hopefully fix mine no problem.

At first they dismissed the rattle as a new Audi secondary Air injection technic on the new engine, to warm up the catalyst quicker, however they couldn’t explain why the cold start rattle / metallic noise stopped upon flicking the box into S.

Plus the exhaust valve rattle on mine is getting worse.

Must be a different issue, shifting to S makes no difference to me, it is literally 10-15 seconds if the car has not been driven in a few hours.

Well I don´t think it´s two different issue. My is also rattle for 15 second on coldstart, and when I shift to dynamic/S it stop. And when the car is varm it will not rattle. But I can hear a small rattle sometime when I accelerate on any drive mode. So I think it´s something with the flap.

Hmm, may get it looked at before I unplug the exhaust valves, just to make sure they don't try and blame that if there is an issue!
It's just strange that shifting into S makes no difference at all for me, I can't hear anything during driving either, also some of the videos on hear are much louder than mine, but I deffo have the tinny type rattle for around 15 seconds as you say.

That's the flaps resonating, surely?

Right then the motor is booked in with my Audi dealer for a proper exhaust check.
I've given them ALL the info gleaned from this thead including 14oth's info and the Audi Teeside fix.
I am expecting good news and a sorted exhaust.
Only issue is I have to wait till 3rd March!!!!! because they've got no loan cars till then and I will be needing a loan car.
Watch this space.

Reactions: Macintosh88, RS3-Rob and Phil3
Right then the motor is booked in with my Audi dealer for a proper exhaust check.
I've given them ALL the info gleaned from this thead including 14oth's info and the Audi Teeside fix.
I am expecting good news and a sorted exhaust.
Only issue is I have to wait till 3rd March!!!!! because they've got no loan cars till then and I will be needing a loan car.
Watch this space.

What are they suggesting they are going to do to fix it?

How long have they booked you into a courtesy car for? Obviously if they are diagnosing and then ordering a new exhaust, it might be there a while.

I’m going to see my dealer tomorrow about it, but I’m a little unsure on the ‘fix’, because I can hardly hear mine.. I could end up worse off and I want to know what’s fixing it.. imagine a further quietened exhaust.....

I wonder when this “fix” became available from... as in, I wonder if cars produced at the factory now have the “fix” in place?!

Reactions: AudiNutta
Mine was very loud ticking / rattling on cold start.

Solution was new back box - they needed the car overnight to diagnose and again during the day to fit the new back box.

Since the new back box has been fitted the car is still loud at start-up (but no ticking / rattling noise). In D a bit louder, in S louder; so overall just louder.

I did think it would be quieter but no. Parts took about 7 days to arrive from Germany - all dealt with very quickly with no quibbles / hassles.

Fair to say loud is relative as the RS3 is quiet compared to the loan car the dealer provided (an RS6 performance) which is properly loud!

Mine was very loud ticking / rattling on cold start.

Solution was new back box - they needed the car overnight to diagnose and again during the day to fit the new back box.

Since the new back box has been fitted the car is still loud at start-up (but no ticking / rattling noise). In D a bit louder, in S louder; so overall just louder.

I did think it would be quieter but no. Parts took about 7 days to arrive from Germany - all dealt with very quickly with no quibbles / hassles.

Fair to say loud is relative as the RS3 is quiet compared to the loan car the dealer provided (an RS6 performance) which is properly loud!

They provided an RS6? How the hell did you pull that off?! Fix my exhaust now!!! Haha!

I don’t suppose they replaced your rear seat belts too? Seeing as that’s happened a couple of times to people on here now. I’m nervous to have mine done, because it isn’t that bad... I’ve been lucky on that front, for once.

I’m wondering if Audi will let us keep the old exhaust....... it’s a shame if they don’t, they will all end up going for scrap.

It was a pleasant surprise, makes a nice change the loan car being higher spec.

My rear seat belts are still original, wasn’t aware people had an issue?

Didn’t ask about the original exhaust, was just glad to lose the noise.

It was a pleasant surprise, makes a nice change the loan car being higher spec.

My rear seat belts are still original, wasn’t aware people had an issue?

Didn’t ask about the original exhaust, was just glad to lose the noise.

Some people including those on this thread, have had seatbelts replaced while the exhaust has been fixed which has left me concerned. Not looking forward to challenging this at my local dealer tomorrow, they don’t like me.

Some people including those on this thread, have had seatbelts replaced while the exhaust has been fixed which has left me concerned. Not looking forward to challenging this at my local dealer tomorrow, they don’t like me.

Interested to find out how you get on . I like you never relish a trip to the dealer I’m usually better informed and worried the car will come back worse than when It went in . However whilst the noise hasn’t really bothered me if theirs a fix then I want it done as clearly may impact come re sale time . Keep us posted if you can . As for the seatbelts can anyone clarify what’s wrong , I think I’ve missed that ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk