Keyless Entry OBDEleven

Smokie

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just joined as I purchased a 2017 S line last month. Car was brought to Ireland from the UK.
Coming from an 09 BMW 520 the difference is night and day.

I picked up the obdeleven and added the alarm beep when locking\unlocking the car and a few other bits and pieces.

I noticed that there is an option for keyless entry but it states that the doors will lock when they are closed and the key is outside the car. It does not mention that you can access the car with the keys in your pocket ect.

Can anyone fill in the gaps for me and actually tell me what enabling this will do?

Thanks In Advance

Hey everyone,

Just joined as I purchased a 2017 S line last month. Car was brought to Ireland from the UK.
Coming from an 09 BMW 520 the difference is night and day.

I picked up the obdeleven and added the alarm beep when locking\unlocking the car and a few other bits and pieces.

I noticed that there is an option for keyless entry but it states that the doors will lock when they are closed and the key is outside the car. It does not mention that you can access the car with the keys in your pocket ect.

Can anyone fill in the gaps for me and actually tell me what enabling this will do?

Thanks In Advance

You have to have the actual hardware installed for this, if I understand correctly. If your car didnt come with keyless entry from factory, it will most likely not have it. I'm not sure if its worth it to retro fit it.

Reactions: Smokie
Nope unfortunately not, all A4's come with keyless start but you need the advanced or convenience key hardware for keyless entry...

But if I have the key less start is that not the same?

With keyless start once you have taken the key out of your pocket to unlock and get into the car, the key is not needed to start it as there is no "key" slot just the push button. With advanced key you don't have to take your key out of your pocket at all as just holding the handle will unlock the car. On leaving the car the keyless start needs to be locked using the key, advanced key you just need to press the small button on the door handle to lock. Advanced key also provides the facility for the "kick below the bumper" to open the tailgate

Reactions: cuke2u
Ahh OK.. Thanks for the info guys.. Then there's not really much else in relation to Apps in the obdeleven. Most of the things I already have on.

Active lane assist is the big one I want to try just havent got the balls yet.. Incase something goes wrong

Disabling the 'Advanced Key' option via MMI will be the first thing I do from a security point of view when mine lands (appreciate to os a different MY). Not sure why anyone would want to retrofit this.

You cannot do this for pre 2018 cars, not that I am in the slightest bit worried...

Disabling the 'Advanced Key' option via MMI will be the first thing I do from a security point of view when mine lands (appreciate to os a different MY). Not sure why anyone would want to retrofit this.

Beause some of us just get on with our lives without worrying all the time. Plus... faraday pouches.

Reactions: Corcioch and Fozzie1960
Perhaps Audi have updated the fobs so they sleep after being idle anyway. But why pay for something, then go and disable it over media hype...

There are extremely few stand alone options on 2020 MY cars as a result of CO2 testing regimes. The Advanced Key is part of the Comfort & Sound pack which includes the 19 speaker B&O upgrade, extended interior LED & 360 degree front & rear parking camera set up. Out of these only the extended LED is available as a stand alone option. If you want B&O, LED and cameras you get the Advance key like it or not.

Its only media hype until it happens to you. Fella in our village had his S3 lifted using intercept tech a little over a month ago. Cut out the continual communication between key and car, cut down on the risk - as advised by a Master Tech. Audi dealers keep keys in an earthed faraday key cage for this reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy101
Perhaps Audi have updated the fobs so they sleep after being idle anyway. But why pay for something, then go and disable it over media hype...

Dont think they have. I know BMW have but not sure Audi have bothered yet.

Media hype?

So much so that my wifes new lease car came with a faraday pouch supplied by the lease company...
Kia provide faraday pouches with new keyless entry cars.
And the badge on the car itself is a huge deterrent to would be thieves.

Reactions: Bryant1998
I am led to believe Audi have made their fobs go to sleep with certain models. If not they are even behind Ford. Still, not going to lose any sleep over it, like winter tyres LOL...

Kia provide faraday pouches with new keyless entry cars.
And the badge on the car itself is a huge deterrent to would be thieves.
But why don't Kia, and other manufactures do it properly then such as Ford and Mercedes are now doing? Instead of unnecessarily scaring there drivers?

I still think the risks are completely blown out of proportion....

Last edited: