Key fob failure

Mattwarren93

Reaction score
hi guys
Key fob has packed up completely and won't program what so ever with the vehicle. Changed the battery but garage have said its not picking up any signal and have told me to replace

£200+ and something they quoted for a new one but was looking at second hand ones on eBay but cannot find an exact match

Mine is 8C0 837 220 K 433mhz
The ones being sold on eBay are 8P0 837 220 D 434 MHz can anyone advise please if these are compatible or is it a case of ordering a completely new key?

Many thanks

You will find one eventually, but at the very least you will need to match the MHz, but I would be happier with a exact match,you can use two keys,one to open the doors and one to start the car.
I have done this with mine but if you are fussy you will need to split the key and dig out the immobilizer chip and put it in your new key and get it cut,but you risk breaking the glass chip so I just use both as its not to bad.

Brilliant thanks for the info. Just rang my local tps who quoted £125 for new key local garage want £45 to programe it

So annoying not having a spare

Does you know if I can programe the new one myself?

Got the garage to do it and they said that they couldn't get it to sync back they then tested the fob and came back as defective as something internal has failed and said the complete key needs to be replaced now

Yes its a common problem apparently ,mine was exactly the same,also I think your part number might be wrong,8E0837220k
Was mine,I only got it by taking a photo and zooming in as it is so difficult to see,but that is the part number from my a4 saline avant 55 plate.433mhz.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-a...336?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d309537e8
Just check your part number is the same.
You can program a second hand key to open your door with vcds but it won't start your car, the easiest way around this is to put both on your key chain and use your old one to start the car as this has the immobilizer chip in that is still working with your car,and use the second hand one to open the doors once matched with vcds.

Mine did this, get a used remote with matching frequency,

Then you need vagcom to clear and then recode the keys. Easy to do and cost me £20