K&N or standard filter? Opinions please

pop80_uk

Reaction score
Hi all

Simple one, I have a 2015 Audi A3 1.4 TFSI COD, I am going to fit a DTUK unit to it.

Will a K&N panel air filter make any difference over the original filter?

Experiences, thoughts......

Thanks!

Reactions: GregS3
This is a quote from another member

Foam filters aren't really recommended for use with MAF sensors... generally for best filtration they need a lot of oiling and the oil gets on the MAF sensors and buggers them up

Stick to cotton based... generally these filter better out the box with little or no oil..

Foam filters also have a habit of breakingdown over time and chunks can end upfinding their way into the turbo

This is a quote from another member

Foam filters aren't really recommended for use with MAF sensors... generally for best filtration they need a lot of oiling and the oil gets on the MAF sensors and buggers them up

Stick to cotton based... generally these filter better out the box with little or no oil..

Foam filters also have a habit of breakingdown over time and chunks can end upfinding their way into the turbo

Thanks,
The K&N is a panel filter and not foam, however it is oiled and heavily so.

I might sell it and just make do with the original.

Thanks!

I used to use K&N filters on bikes, until I removed one and found the airbox coated in not so fine gravel !! (filter was secure and fitted correctly), now I don't trust them at all.

If you want to use an aftermarket filter go with a dry AFE panel filter. But an aftermarket filter will in general let more dirt into your engine than the OEM filter.