Just fitted my K04.

Reaction score
Hey i just fitted my K04 today took around 4hours.
The k04 sounds a bit noisier and seems to pull a little better.

But when the car is spooling up or under load between 2k and 3.5K revs the car cant seem to hold its boost.
It pulls then stops pulling about a second at a time.

I havent got and CEL's on and above 3.5K the car pulls really well.

Any suggestions to this problem would be very helpfull.
Thanks,
Paul.

PS i will post pics in a little while.

have you got it mapped? maybe the wastegate is opening early (total guess)

what you doing with fpr? keeping stock or upgrading?

be good to see some pics dude /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

btw did you use new turbo drain lines or clean the ones you had? i'm just about to post a thread with this question

Paul - That was quick getting the turbo fitted! Nice one.

Sorry you have a problem. What does it boost to when it hangs?

Not too sure what the boost level is.

I really do need to get a gauge. I am just running it on my Star Performance remap.

The oil lines i am using are just the standard ones. The one to the sump took ages to refit!!

I think the actuator is needing screwed back as i think it must be over boosting.

Here are some pics of the K04 and old K03s.

Old K03s

K03s.jpg

New K04

K04.jpg

The K04 is about 2mm bigger in diameter. (Inner edge) Also has different blades.

Both together

Both1.jpg

Both2.jpg

Engine bay with the turbo etc out.

Turboout.jpg

K03s rear

K03srear.jpg

Rear close

K03srearclose.jpg

K04 rear

K04rear.jpg

rear close

K04rearclose.jpg

The turbine on the K04 is again bigger here.

Cant really see that well from the pics but the bit in the middle of the turbine is quite a bit bigger which is a good indication of the difference.

Cheers folks,
Paul.

a mate of mine fitted a N75J to his standard 1.8T and got the same symptoms... The turbo is boosting past the ECU's tolerance. You will need to get the map adjusted to use it.

Rich

So you think i need to get my car mapped as i am just running it on a K03s chip just now.

The turbo starts spooling up at about 1.5K revs. Thats what made me think the actuator needed adjusting.

Cheers,
Paul

Spoke to Star and they say that the car is needing a remap however AmD say that it sounds like the Air mass meter has gone as this is a common fault and to get it checked. The car ran fine before the turbo upgrade and only seems to have a problem between 2k and 3.5k.

I am getting loads of different answers from lots of difference sources and am gtting a bit confused.

I am pretty skint at the mo and will not beable to afford a remap for about 3 months as i have to get a FMIC first as well.

Cheers,
Paul.