just bought a decat!

M12RJX

Reaction score
just wanted to see your thoughts on this decat I just bought,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121111359693

fits onto the standard box (audi s3 2014)

I don't want to go crazy modding on my car and was previously going to do the res delete mod but decided to do this instead to try and see if I can gain any extra power.

plans for the car are to get this decat fitted, stage 1 remap and debating to get a panel filter or a air induction kit? not planning on doing anything else to it just wanted to get rid of flat spots and a bit more power!

just wanted to see what power I could expect from the above if anyone had any idea at all

thanks

Last edited:
Looks promising, was thinking of doing similar to my 2014 S3, keep us updated!

will do! just spoke with the tuner he said once decat is fitted and if I was to purchase a panel filter and he did the map it would be running at stage 2 without having to change intercooler as he said the standard one is very efficient already! so sounds good to me! said figures would be around 380-390!!

I know exactly right! just cant wait to get these bits delivered and onto the car! will let you know how I get on fingers crossed!

surely a bit of a hassle everytime it needs an MOT to change the exhaust back to standard and the risk of £1000 fine for not having it too?

Reactions: KenL and martin1984
I know what you mean however just had my mot done in november and the garage i use for my mot is friendly enough to help out for next years! About the fine hopefully that dont happen

Reactions: MikeParkin
I would imagine that decat would be the same as any other really apart from it been 2.5” rather than 3” so not as much flow.

It will make a significant difference to the tuning potential as there’s no cat.

I would love to go with a full turbo back miltek but have other commitments and tbh i quiet like the sound now just want it a tiny bit louder..but more importantly more gains to standard so hopefuly does make a nice difference!

You will definitely get a better exhaust note I did before the Milltek was put on.

You will definitely get a better exhaust note I did before the Milltek was put on.
Cant wait! I just wanted a bit more power with this map and a bit more sound with the decat the flat spots need sorting out and i think it will be more than powerful enough for me

Reactions: MikeParkin
Did you have any difficulty finding an insurer?

I rang a couple of insurers when I was looking to get a tune. They were all pretty happy with intakes and remaps. However, both of the ones I rang stated they could not cover a decat because they would not offer insurance on a car which was not roadworthy.

Did you have any difficulty finding an insurer?

I rang a couple of insurers when I was looking to get a tune. They were all pretty happy with intakes and remaps. However, both of the ones I rang stated they could not cover a decat because they would not offer insurance on a car which was not roadworthy.

What makes you think an insurer or any insurer would insure a vehicle which was not road legal ?

No one tells their insurer that their car has a decat as a modification.

Reactions: M12RJX and stote
I don’t wish to turn this into an insurance post but insurance companies will cover modifications even if they are non road legal - Adrian Flux covers decats.

I would strongly recommend notifying your insurance.

If your change your exhaust system (even a just a back box) and it is louder than standard then it’s not road legal. The Construction and Use act states -

(2) Every exhaust system and silencer shall be maintained in good and efficient working order and shall not be altered so as to increase the noise made by the escape of exhaust gases

So taking this literal is likely to mean any exhaust modification is illegal/non road legal.

Finally, a car doesn’t automatically fail an MOT for a decat does it? Is it not the emissions test that it fails because of the decat.

(Just my 2p) :D

Having a decat means it will fail on the emissions test which is part of the mot test nowadays for modern cars.

So yes it would fail an MOT with the following reason or something similar.

Repair immediately (major defects):
  • Exhaust carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle exceeds default limits (8.2.1.2 (b))

See Reason for rejection items 3 and 4:

MOT cats

Hi.
If anyone does need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.