Juddering on full lock at low speed - normal?

HertS3

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Very new to the S4 B8.5 (less than a week) so this is new territory to me, having moved from the Haldex of an S3.

I noticed that the car vibrates quite loudly when I head off on full lock at low speed (e.g. when I turn out of a sharp corner near my house). I saw posts on other forums (and A5/A6 Allroad on here) that this may be a feature of 'true' Quattro cars that you need to learn to love, I wondered what other B8/B8.5 owners have to say about it, before I start worrying that something's up with the car I just bought?

Hey guys,

Very new to the S4 B8.5 (less than a week) so this is new territory to me, having moved from the Haldex of an S3.

I noticed that the car vibrates quite loudly when I head off on full lock at low speed (e.g. when I turn out of a sharp corner near my house). I saw posts on other forums (and A5/A6 Allroad on here) that this may be a feature of 'true' Quattro cars that you need to learn to love, I wondered what other B8/B8.5 owners have to say about it, before I start worrying that something's up with the car I just bought?

It is the quattro judder / rumble at full lock, which is normal. The reason for that is S4 B8.5 has limited-slip centre diff (or crown centre diff) and the fact that it is a permanent 4wd / active and vectors torque to all corners. On Haldex cars it is front-drive based hence why you don't get to hear it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 45bvtc and HertS3
Thanks - I knew most of that, just not whether the judder was a feature of Torsen, now I know! Just glad nothing is wrong with the car, in terms of that shudder :)

Reactions: V6_Man
I vaguely remember that in my B5 manual it warned not to use much torque at full lock. Not sure if its the same in my B8 manual - I can't remember looking. Whilst the vibration noise is normal, it does seem sensible to only use light throttle until the steering can be released.

Reactions: HertS3
I vaguely remember that in my B5 manual it warned not to use much torque at full lock. Not sure if its the same in my B8 manual - I can't remember looking. Whilst the vibration noise is normal, it does seem sensible to only use light throttle until the steering can be released.

Its the same on most cars, especially FWD. Its not unknown to snap drive shafts if big welly is given at full lock.

Reactions: HertS3