It's been fun.....

M1ke H

Reaction score
Well, after 3.5 years the time has come to swap out the S3. No reason not to get another, but I've done that once (ie two consecutive models the same) and just won't do it again. I don't see any point in sitting in the same car for 6/7 years!

So what to replace it with? Love the car, it's been great, never let me down and apart from routine servicing has only needed the infamous door rattle sorting and a front wheel bearing replaced. Both fixed under warranty. The local dealership have been great, and I have a good relationship with the staff.

I was really struggling to know what to do. I eventually narrowed my list down to BMW M140, M-B A45 AMG or a TTS. In the end I just couldn't see myself in the BMW so ruled that out. I was concerned that the A45 would be too much of a 'hooligan' car, but had one for an extended test drive. I was hoping I'd hate it, especially as I just love manual boxes and it is only available with the seven speed DCT 'box, but it was an absolute hoot. However, after much soul searching and head vs heart thinking, I've gone for a TTS. Speccd up a car and ordered early December. Having seen the spec, the dealer told me they fully expected a 6 month delivery, but Audi came up trumps with a March build date, and I hope to pick it up some time in April.

The S3 has been great fun and I've enjoyed every minute with the car, but the time has come to move on. Thanks for all the help and entertainment the forum has given, and I hope I've been able to contribute in some small way where relevant.

Reactions: Matchman54, richinsoton, pburv and 15 others
Of those 3 choices I would also take the TTS.....enjoy your new car when it arrives and remember to post pics. What colour did you choose and the spec would be nice also.

Last edited:
Reactions: pburv, Audi Bairn, Daveotto and 2 others
Hi Mike, sad to see you leave the 8v section but we will hopefully still see you on the forum. We will look forward to hearing your spec and look forward to the pics. :)

Reactions: pburv and Audi Bairn
.....What colour did you choose, also the spec would be nice also.

Part of the potential issue re the delivery was the paint... Let me just say Z6E :wink:

Spec: Storage/lugage pack; Privacy glass; Parking plus (font/rear); Hill holdassist; Heated/folding/dimming door mirrors; Door mirror caps in body colour; Deluxe air con; Alcantara/leather super sports seats. I think that's it!

Reactions: richinsoton, pburv and Audi Bairn
Out of those three you have made the right choice, hope the wait does not seem so long

I expect the TTS (or Cayman) will be my next choice in a couple of years

Reactions: pburv
Cambridge Green? ....nice spec

Is this it

or this

on-location-09-09-2013-audi-forum-ingolstadt-234-600x399.jpg

@jassyo06 wherefore art thou

Last edited:
Reactions: pburv, Jassyo06, MattSedg and 1 other person
Forgetting the considerations like practicality, I'd have taken the TTS too.
Im not a fan of either of the other two cars at all.

Reactions: pburv and Flying Scotsman
Good choice and after all it's still an Audi so win win !

Hope you enjoy it.

Reactions: pburv
@M1ke H - Like others have said, given the choice of your 3 I too would have gone down the TTS route

Interesting colour. Looking foreword to the pic's. Congrats !

Reactions: pburv and Audi Bairn
As we all seem to agree.....top choice on the TTS! I drove one and it felt special compared to the pre-FL S3....its a nice place to sit....enjoy!...and we shall see you around lol

Reactions: Audi Bairn, pburv and Jassyo06
Excited for you now to get the new car! pics or it didn't happen though when it comes!

"the infamous door rattle sorting"

Hi Mike, how did you get it sorted and if you did where as Ive just bought another s3 and its doing it again !

Can you PM me if you dont want to say the dealership. Please

@ACWKGYTO I had a driver door rattle start about a month after delivery. Demonstrated it to the Master Tech at Audi Tetbury, who stripped the door down and re-mounted the regulator. 'Twas fine for 15+ months but then came back. It subsequently went back twice in quick succession, but three visits over 15-odd months finally resolved the drivers door rattle by a (different) Master Tech who obviously knew what he was doing. Probably a bit far from you!!!

Reactions: ACWKGYTO
I know it's not why anyone buys a TTS, but have you seen how much boot space there is when you put the back seats down? It's like a Transit. Amazing to drive, too.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and TYb
Why not try something less German?

I'm thinking about going for the new Magane RS. As nice as the S3 is, and it's a great all rounder, thanks to AWD, but I fancy something `Fun` again. Have always had really good Hot Hatches, and my Twingo RS is great fun.

The German cars may be better `feel good` cars due to materials / build, but you can't beat a FWD car for chuckable fun.

Though I do think they've shot themselves in the foot by announcing the faster Trophy version (The one I would go for) will be out next year.

May not have the build quality of the German cars, but rear wheel steering should make it one hell of a quick car to cover ground in

Why not try something less German?

I'm thinking about going for the new Magane RS. As nice as the S3 is, and it's a great all rounder, thanks to AWD, but I fancy something `Fun` again. Have always had really good Hot Hatches, and my Twingo RS is great fun.

The German cars may be better `feel good` cars due to materials / build, but you can't beat a FWD car for chuckable fun.

Though I do think they've shot themselves in the foot by announcing the faster Trophy version (The one I would go for) will be out next year.

May not have the build quality of the German cars, but rear wheel steering should make it one hell of a quick car to cover ground in

Renault Muggins RS.....more like lol not a fan at all of Renault car interiors and they're exteriors are too over stylised especially the lighting designs, Renault RS cars have lost a lot their Kudos in the last 10 years,hopefully they find their Mojo again like Honda kinda have,would have a Honda FK8 before the Megane RS

@ACWKGYTO I had a driver door rattle start about a month after delivery. Demonstrated it to the Master Tech at Audi Tetbury, who stripped the door down and re-mounted the regulator. 'Twas fine for 15+ months but then came back. It subsequently went back twice in quick succession, but three visits over 15-odd months finally resolved the drivers door rattle by a (different) Master Tech who obviously knew what he was doing. Probably a bit far from you!!!

Thanks for that Mike

Renault Muggins RS.....more like lol not a fan at all of Renault car interiors and they're exteriors are too over stylised especially the lighting designs, Renault RS cars have lost a lot their Kudos in the last 10 years,hopefully they find their Mojo again like Honda kinda have,would have a Honda FK8 before the Megane RS

Wouldn't say they are overly styled. At least they got some flair to them, and not the `in your face` way Honda have. I'd consider the Honda if I was 10-15 years younger. But the styling is maybe too extreme for me.

I might even go for `mid life crisis` Orange !

Reactions: Jassyo06
Wouldn't say they are overly styled. At least they got some flair to them, and not the `in your face` way Honda have. I'd consider the Honda if I was 10-15 years younger. But the styling is maybe too extreme for me.

I tried buying an RS megane a while back and found the Renault customer service to be absolutely shocking, nice enough car though and has good reviews with petrol heads, apart from the depreciation which is awful theyre not bad at all, you certainly wont see many around.

I went for mid-life Crisis Voodoo.......so l dont have a problem with that colour mate looks the dogs....lol

Reactions: CROCOP
I know it's not why anyone buys a TTS, but have you seen how much boot space there is when you put the back seats down? It's like a Transit. Amazing to drive, too.

boot space is Massoove....still wish it had that centre screen though:sadlike:

I tried buying an RS megane a while back and found the Renault customer service to be absolutely shocking, nice enough car though and has good reviews with petrol heads, apart from the depreciation which is awful theyre not bad at all, you certainly wont see many around.

Yes, I bought a MKII Clio 172 when they came out. The build was appalling, and I swore I'd never buy a Renault again (till 3 years ago), but as the car was in and out of the dealers, I had the then misfortune of dealing with Renault customer service desk. What a useless bunch of T***s. They treated me very badly, spoke very rude to me, and blatantly lied to my face. And when I proved they were lying, they just shrugged and walked off. Needless to say, I sold the car after 18 months, and bought a brand new Mk1 Focus RS.

That dealer has since packed in (thank god) but the nearest one to me, isn't that much better by all accounts. There is meant to be a new dealership opening in my town soon.

The build quality has apparently come on in recent years. The Twingo feels very cheap inside (as it was a cheap car) but in 3 years of ownership (5 year old car) it's never put a foot wrong. Hence my renewed thoughts on Renault.

While Renault don't chase power figures, there cars have always been about fun and handling. Think it's be a the new benchmark once the reviews come out. Suppose it just depends on price at the end of the day. But it'll be keenly priced against the Civic Type R.

Yes, I bought a MKII Clio 172 when they came out. The build was appalling, and I swore I'd never buy a Renault again (till 3 years ago), but as the car was in and out of the dealers, I had the then misfortune of dealing with Renault customer service desk. What a useless bunch of T***s. They treated me very badly, spoke very rude to me, and blatantly lied to my face. And when I proved they were lying, they just shrugged and walked off. Needless to say, I sold the car after 18 months, and bought a brand new Mk1 Focus RS.

That dealer has since packed in (thank god) but the nearest one to me, isn't that much better by all accounts. There is meant to be a new dealership opening in my town soon.

The build quality has apparently come on in recent years. The Twingo feels very cheap inside (as it was a cheap car) but in 3 years of ownership (5 year old car) it's never put a foot wrong. Hence my renewed thoughts on Renault.

While Renault don't chase power figures, there cars have always been about fun and handling. Think it's be a the new benchmark once the reviews come out. Suppose it just depends on price at the end of the day. But it'll be keenly priced against the Civic Type R.

Aah the gallic shrug....BOF

Christ, that Renault is beaten only by the Type-R for pure hideousness. Terrible inside and out. It looks like a Max Power reader was let loose on it. If it was food, it'd be an Iceland frozen trifle.

Reactions: ACWKGYTO
Christ, that Renault is beaten only by the Type-R for pure hideousness. Terrible inside and out. It looks like a Max Power reader was let loose on it. If it was food, it'd be an Iceland frozen trifle.

You like it then !

Well, after a sixteen week wait (and checking the order tracker every day over the last three weeks!) the TTS has been sailing the high seas today, and is now on UK soil in Grimsby :)

Can't wait....

Reactions: TYb
Couldn't have gone wrong with any of the 3 cars listed OP! You probs took the best choice though out of them.

Yeah Renault has never made a good looking Megane ever, couldn't buy one for that reason.

So, collection day was yesterday and I'm now the proud owner of the TTS below. I'll migrate over to the TT section, but pop in occasionallyP1010395 50 Pix

Last edited:
Reactions: Tej13, richinsoton and Jassyo06
So, collection day was yesterday and I'm now the proud owner of the TTS below. I'll migrate over to the TT section, but pop in occasionallyView attachment 152908
Mike that's lovely. What colour is it and I will make you a new banner?

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Thanks @Sandra for both your comment and the offer.

The paint is Tiefgruen Pearl (Deep Green Pearl (Paint Code Z6E!!!)), which I can only describe as like a really deep British Racing Green.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Sandra
So, collection day was yesterday and I'm now the proud owner of the TTS below. I'll migrate over to the TT section, but pop in occasionallyView attachment 152908

Congrats Mike!
You may be back here more often as the TT section I found to be dead when I've posted regarding our other car - eventually gave up!
Look forward to seeing more pics :thumbs up:

Thanks @Sandra for both your comment and the offer.

The paint is Tiefgruen Pearl (Deep Green Pearl (Paint Code Z6E!!!)), which I can only describe as like a really deep British Racing Green.
That’s you got your new banners Mike x

Reactions: M1ke H