1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Is this an issue.

GW1 May 30, 2020

1. GW1

GW1 Registered User

I have looked back through the old threads and I cannot find anything relevant to my issue. Sometimes when I start my 2019 RS3 first thing, my turbo boost gauge shows full boost on idle. When you drive off, and accelerate the gauge goes down, stop again and it shows full boost again, now these keeps happening for a few miles and then back to normal Operation. I have looked through the handbook and cannot find any reference to this, so is it dealer contact time. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. RS03_SEN

RS03_SEN Registered User

I have peasant issue 2015 RS3 and mine never does that. Possibly no use to you being the older model.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

4. T-1000

T-1000 Registered User

The only time mine shows a little boost pressure is when I put it into individual or dynamic on cold start to avoid the dreaded 20 sec catalyst warm up phase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. T-1000

T-1000 Registered User

Different as FL uses vacuum and wastegate is open in its default position.

RS03_SEN likes this.
  6. CWD

CWD Registered User

Never encountered that on my 2018 yours will have the dreaded filter in the exhaust perhaps it's something to do with its function at start up

GW1 likes this.
  7. Riko0073

Riko0073 Registered User

I have the 2019 model and not had this issue in the 9 months I’ve had it, I’d say contact the dealer mate.

GW1 likes this.
  8. Walternate

Walternate the 1st 5 days after the weekend are the hardest

That does sound like a fault you have there. I presume it is stock and not tuned?

If stock take it in to the stealer, if tuned take it back to your tuner (as they will adjust the boost gauge for new power and may well have screwed it up)

9. Sequence

Sequence Registered User

I have noticed this on mine. not thought to much of it at the moment as i can only recall seeing it once.. mine is a late 2019 car

10. GW1

GW1 Registered User

Mine is July 19 and I never noticed it until maybe Feb this year. Strange thing to happen I don’t notice any changes in performance, so it could be a gauge issue. I had a new TTS and never had any issue and a new S3 2018 that I had under a year again nothing.

11. GW1

GW1 Registered User

It’s purely stock, although I now have the exhaust rattle problem now. I will book it in for a check up at the dealers. Thanks for you reply.

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. Scottkcollins

Scottkcollins Registered User

I have seen my 2020 do this when first starting, goes full boost and then like you say drops off as you drive.

14. DannyRS3

DannyRS3 Registered User

This happens to mine on occasion. Just after start up, I see the boost creep up and then fall. No drivability issues and obviously at idle it's not actually making boost. Worth mentioning to the dealer I suppose, but no performance loss and never happens while driving, so will ignore it till it becomes a problem.

Scottkcollins likes this.
  15. rams_s3

rams_s3 Registered User

Happens to mine too. Late 2019 car. Also gearbox doesn’t always change up on first press of the paddle just switches into manual mode, anyone had this issue?

GW1 likes this.
  16. JM 772

JM 772 Registered User

My 19 has done this from day 1 but only until it is up to temperature & the rev counter red line mones to 7000 then its fine.

17. GW1

GW1 Registered User

Yes I also have the gearbox issue but I had a similar issue with my new 2012 TT and my new 2017 S3 so I thought it was just a character of the gearbox.

18. Dan_DJT

Dan_DJT RS3 Saloon

I've seen this on a 2019 car too. When you see it are you in dynamic drive mode ?

19. GW1

GW1 Registered User

Not necessarily. I find that when I first start the car I am normally in Park and sometimes in Neutral. I find the boost gauge is showing full boost on idle. When I pull away the boost gauge goes down to zero but when I stop the boost bar shoots up to max.

20. Dan_DJT

Dan_DJT RS3 Saloon

My car gets re-flashed lots so I was thinking it was part of the boost adaption process, but if it is happening on other cars then it can't be that. Does sound like a bit of a software bug to me.

21. T-1000

T-1000 Registered User

I’m wondering if this is something Audi have done purposely to stop the 20 sec start up rattle (catalyst warm up phase).

Closing the wastegate fully during this brief start up phase would allow full boost to build briefly at idle.

22. Dan_DJT

Dan_DJT RS3 Saloon

No the start up rattle is still there on the 19my GPF cars, its not quite as loud as pre GPF. Easily turned of with a remap (as on my 19my car) but the gauge still occasionally shows max boost at idle when starting up.

23. Madmo

Madmo Registered User

my 2020 model does this also but I have never really bothered too much about it cause the car drives fine and I havent had any issues at all with it. Once it's warmed up it operates as a normal boost gauge

GW1 likes this.
  24. 123Quattro

123Quattro Guest

Mine does this as well (69 Reg). Definitely had me scratching my head, but doesn't seem to be a problem...

GW1 likes this.
  25. Russrs3

Russrs3 Registered User

Yep and mine from day one

GW1 likes this.