Is 90k miles a lot a used car?

Radford212

Reaction score
There may be a small chance that I’m able to purchase a 2013 Black Edition Sportback. It’s a 3.0L TDI automatic. As per the title it has 90k miles on it many of which are apparently motorway miles (a family friend is the owner so I’m liable to believe it) just wondering if this a lot of miles or not really these days.

Radford212

The price of any car should reflect the mileage and in my opinion, 90,000 (largely motorway) miles is not a number which would cause me undue worry for a large engine diesel which has had satisfactory servicing. The old rule of thumb used to be that diesel miles covered are broadly equivalent, in wear terms, to half the petrol amount - so in this case equivalent to a petrol engine which has covered just 45,000 miles.

I went and had a look at the car earlier on in the week and asides from the wheels needing a good refurb it all seems like it’s good working order. It’s been owned by the same person since new and serviced when required. Showed me round the car properly and didn’t try to hide anything. Even suggested that I get one of those AA/RAC checks done before purchase which I thought was very good of him.

The car felt very smooth on the test drive and didn’t have any knocking noises or anything that felt out of place. So I feel rather assured that it’s been looked after very well which gives me confidence should I purchase it.

It will likely be the S-tronic gearbox so make sure the oil has been changed every 38k!

According the configurator sheet that I’ve been given it’s a multitronic gearbox. Should this have the oil changed every 38k as well?

My Audi service booklet, which is generic for all Audi models but issued at the time of my 2010 car, states that the "ATF oil in the multitronic gearbox also needs to be changed every 60,000 km (38,000 miles)".

Reactions: Radford212
My Audi service booklet, which is generic for all Audi models but issued at the time of my 2010 car, states that the "ATF oil in the multitronic gearbox also needs to be changed every 60,000 km (38,000 miles)".

Thanks for the speedy reply, much appreciated :icon thumright:

90k is only 15k per year. That's average now tbh. My last diesel did 257k, so I'd not worry

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk