Insurance, Standard car?

well this opened a bit of a can of worms for me,

As I had to describe my car to them as it wasn't registered when I set the insurance up, apparently I had described it As an Audi A3 S3 TFSI, where it should have been an AUDI A3 S3 TFSI QUATTRO!

The manager will be calling me back...

There's no denying that having a lot of expensive options are going to make your car more "nickable" than if it didn't have them. Some insurers care about this and want them all declared, others don't. It seems there's no overall rule about this and it's down to the individual insurer.

I'm currently with Allianz (and have been since I got my A3); they are fine with factory fitted options and did not increase the premium.

With my previous car I had a bad experience with one of the Admiral group companies who did charge me extra for factory fitted options. What really wound me up was when I realised the car also had hill hold function a while after I bought it (I got it second hand from a non-franchised dealer and hence didn't receive a full spec sheet) and, being the conscientious person I am, rung them up and told them. They tried to charge me yet more money for this, at which point I objected, pointing out that arguably this option reduced their risk. After they consulted a supervisor they dropped the additional charge but that's left a bad taste in my mouth and I've no intention of using Admiral again any time soon.

What I would say though is I'd really recommend being up front with your insurer; not declaring options does run the risk of them refusing a claim.

Reactions: Superdoug
Got a reply from Admiral, they want an extra £22 for all factory options, so not the end of the world as it's still £200 cheaper than Priviledge wanted. Least they know the complete spec, so now have no excuse not to pay out if anything should happen.