Injection pump problem?

Gfwc

Reaction score
Evening chaps,

I've not long had my Allroad 2.5tdi and just wanted a little bit of help regarding a starting problem that it has.

When starting the car from cold, it takes a very very long time to fire up.
As soon as it has been started, I can switch it off and it will start perfectly.

The car drives faultlessley without any misfiring or hesitation once started.

If the car is left to stand to go cold again, it then takes a long time to start.

My biggest worry is that it's an impending injection pump failure. But I'm unsure on the exact symptoms of that other than what I have read on here of progressively worse starting and then one day failure to start

Hopefully someone will return with good news and it could be a potential cheap fix :)

Engine 2.5 tdi AKE
149k miles

Thanks guys.

Could be that the fuel is running back to the tank.
Can you see any bubbles in the clear fuel pipe running to the pump with the engine cover off.

Could be that the fuel is running back to the tank.
Can you see any bubbles in the clear fuel pipe running to the pump with the engine cover off.

Thanks for the reply, Alan. This is one of the first things I checked but the pipe is almost opaque. Should I be checking for bubbles when the car is being turned over?

:)

Yes get somebody to try starting it and look for the bubbles.
I had a similar problem on a tdi passat and it turned out that air was getting in the fuel filter just enough to let the fuel run back to the tank over night.

Yes get somebody to try starting it and look for the bubbles.
I had a similar problem on a tdi passat and it turned out that air was getting in the fuel filter just enough to let the fuel run back to the tank over night.
I just got my friend to start the car with me watching the fuel pipe.

There was no sign of air bubbles whilst it was turning over, about 20 seconds of turning over. And then the second it started, 2 very large bubbles came down the pipe.

Sounds like the fuel is running back.
When did it last have a new fuel filter as that was the fix for my passat.
Thing is you have to wait a day to see if any fix works with this type of problem.
If you do change the filter fill the new one up with fresh fuel before you try to start the car.

It was changed about 7 months ago. But I'll certainly give this a try.

With the bubbles being present, it at least takes my mind off the possible injection pump :)

Change the plastic valve at the same time and use a good quality filter Man, hengst or bosch. The valve sadly it's only available at the dealer and it's a pound of flesh for such a small item ! I would also check fuel pump timing if you have vcds...

Reactions: Gfwc
Change the plastic valve at the same time and use a good quality filter Man, hengst or bosch. The valve sadly it's only available at the dealer and it's a pound of flesh for such a small item ! I would also check fuel pump timing if you have vcds...
Thanks a lot for the advice :) I'll certainly follow those steps.

I'll check the pump timing too.

I'm regards to the starting issue. It's come to light that it also sometimes does it when it's still Warm. But it's at its worst when cold.

I get a cloud of white smoke if it takes a long time to start.