info on S3's (facelift model)

darkspin

Reaction score
Hi folks

Im looking at buying a X reg S3 but need to know some info so as a lot of you are in the know I was wondering if you can tell me what the differences are for S3's from X reg onwards. I think the X reg models are 210bhp but arent the later versions 225bhp?

Also what other differences are there(if any)?

cheers

Think that they changed to 225 from 2001, which is X i think. Then the rear lights have thick white section on them, the chrome mirrors became an optional extra and the headlights changed to Xenon and seem clearer.

I'm prepared to be shot down on all counts, as am purely guessing.

No, the facelift came before the 225 engine.

Mine is a May 2001 (would be a Y plate) and it's a facelift model, and a 210.
Facelifts got the one piece front lights, new style rear lights, re-styled dash etc..

I think the 225 engine came in 2002...but I may be wrong.

I thought all S3s had xenons regardless of age?

ooops forgot to mention i knew about them being facelift from X reg onwards.....

So it seems that the main mechanical difference is that from Y reg onwards they were 225 and the other diffs are purely cosmetic i.e. chrome wing mirrors

[ QUOTE ]
darkspin said:
ooops forgot to mention i knew about them being facelift from X reg onwards.....

So it seems that the main mechanical difference is that from Y reg onwards they were 225 and the other diffs are purely cosmetic i.e. chrome wing mirrors

[/ QUOTE ]
This is not correct... 225's came in March 2002

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
darkspin said:
chrome wing mirrors

[/ QUOTE ]
and they're a £250 option.

so from 02 plate onwards its 225, i thought it was earlier than that but you seem to know your cars

as for the chrome/alloy wing mirrors being £250 - i was told by my local audi dealer that they are £350-£400 each so are these a different type of wing mirror?

Aluminium mirrors on the S3 where a £500 option when ordered with the car. And you are looking at around £1000 to get these fitted afterwoods from an Audi dealer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Whilst on the subject of options, does anyone know if leather was standard or an optional extra on early S3's?

Joe

[ QUOTE ]
jojo said:
does anyone know if leather was standard or an optional extra on early S3's?
Joe

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The 225bhp version came in sep 2001. Mine is a Y plate but 210bhp (when it was standard!)

There is no definitive date for the introduction of the 225bhp version!!

Mine is an Oct 2001 & it's 210bhp!! Anything from the 4th quater of 2001 could be either, but 2002 should be 225!!??