Impressed - First Drive A5

A3_Black_Edition

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am a regular in the 8P section as I have one but today I was asked to take a look at one of our cars at work which is a 3 month old A5 Cab, it's the 3.0 quattro with S-Tronic. I have to say WOW what a machine. I have never driven a S-Tronic box before but I really did consider it with my A3 but I wanted the 170 quattro and you can't have both so didn't get it but the box is amazing!! So smooth and crisp to change and great fun in manual mode.

The engine is also superb! It's quick and very smooth and the torque is quality!

I am thinking the next car has to be the A5 for sure.

Cheers,
Si

The DSG box really is a great bit of kit! I was worried I had made a mistake but I am firmly sure I didn't now :)

Reactions: A3_Black_Edition
It's really nice to drive and if you don't want to drive it as such just leave it alone and it will do it's thing. But even in s mode put you foot down and it still goes!

Quality bit of kit, I want one now! Only had my about three months! lol

Si

Yeah they're great boxes huh, we only have these now, cant be ***** with manuals anymore.

They really are, maybe I should have tried one before? I was advised that the 170 would be better with quattro instead of s-tronic.

Never had an auto and think the next one will be for sure!

Cheers,
Si

My previous S5 was my first automatic car, after 20years of driving manuals. It was a revelation. In heavy London traffic they are a joy compared to manuls, and when I wanted to play I could stick into manual mode or use the paddles.
Best of both worlds IMHO, though some people claim that an automatic isn't a true "driver's car" since there is a loss of interaction with the car. I guess thats true, but its a trade-off I am willing to make. The DSG makes for seamless gear changes, far quicker than is possible to make them manually.

Reactions: A3_Black_Edition
In heavy London traffic they are a joy compared to manuals.

That alone is a reason to use them, after years of manuals in/out of london & the country in general, the dsg are a joy to drive with, sod the interaction, if I wanted a rally type seat, I'd go become a wrc driver, its a public road *** lol, so these are perfect.

Agreed :)
I have hill hold assist now too, so the parking brake is automatically activated when I come to a stop, and taken off again when I apply pressure to the accelerator...makes things pretty easy going.
I was reading the Audi magazine last time I was at the dealers, they had an article on fully automated driving. The technology is already in place to have the car fully controlling itself (satnav, adaptive cruise control, line assist, etc) and Audi even have working prototypes. The only thing holding back implentation is the law...and public perception ofc. But who knows what the future will hold.

Thats nothing mate, an american car company, chrysler or someone built there own freeway & actually has been testing that technology for a very long time, its just like minority report, I remember seeing the pics of the cars all in a row equally distanced with passengers reading papers lol.

First car I get that can do that will be black and named KITT :)