Idiot Paintless Dent Removal

wuta3

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to get a small dent corrected (see pic)

The last guy I had out said it needed filling and painting and in the process used HIS HAND to scrub dirt off the paint and swirled the paint before leaving. What a cool guy.

I'm at the end of my rope trying to get this car prepped for paint correction. Can anyone recommend a body shop in the Manchester area that can properly sort this without resorting to filling and repainting?

The location is on the back arch / passenger door shut edge. The rear passenger door is the top surface.

2020 06 08 13 12

Should be able to get most of that out using a paint less dent removal method. Most places will do it and should charge more than £50. It’s in an awkward place. Shouldn’t need any paint restoration though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Should be able to get most of that out using a paint less dent removal method. Most places will do it and should charge more than £50. It’s in an awkward place. Shouldn’t need any paint restoration though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep that's what I thought, i'm just struggling to find someone in the NW to do it!

The last guy said he couldn't because a big section of the arch is "double walled" so he couldn't get the tool to the back of the dent.

The last guy said he couldn't because a big section of the arch is "double walled" so he couldn't get the tool to the back of the dent.
^^^THIS^^^ I was about to sane the same.

What do you mean?
In work I've seen the guys get their tools down the door frame etc and then behind the dent and pop it out like magic, but if it's too close to the edge where the two pieces of metal are welded together they can't get behind it, so they have to try and pull it out or most of the time they fill/spray it.

Hi all,

I'm trying to get a small dent corrected (see pic)

The last guy I had out said it needed filling and painting and in the process used HIS HAND to scrub dirt off the paint and swirled the paint before leaving. What a cool guy.

I'm at the end of my rope trying to get this car prepped for paint correction. Can anyone recommend a body shop in the Manchester area that can properly sort this without resorting to filling and repainting?

The location is on the back arch / passenger door shut edge. The rear passenger door is the top surface.

View attachment 204402

It would help if you provided a better photo of the damaged area so we can see exactly where it is on the panel but what you will find is that on rear quarters, the arch is generally always double skinned which prevents the rod from being able to push out the dent from the inside. There could be some holes available to access the arch but not 100% sure.

This type of repair can be achieved as there is another method using glue where they pull the dent from the outside.

One thing I have learned from 20 years dealing with people in the car trade is all around attitude and I get the impression that perhaps you didn’t explain the issue to them properly to get the right result.

It would help if you provided a better photo of the damaged area so we can see exactly where it is on the panel but what you will find is that on rear quarters, the arch is generally always double skinned which prevents the rod from being able to push out the dent from the inside. There could be some holes available to access the arch but not 100% sure.

This type of repair can be achieved as there is another method using glue where they pull the dent from the outside.

One thing I have learned from 20 years dealing with people in the car trade is all around attitude and I get the impression that perhaps you didn’t explain the issue to them properly to get the right result.

I can provide a better picture. I have no doubt the area is double skinned (infact you can feel the reinforcement on the panel). My issue with the service provider was the lack of care and attention paid to the car, and the additional damage made by scrubbing grit/dirt off the paint with a bare hand. Leaving without sorting the dent is just an annoyance rather than that guys fault.

Implying it was my fault that I didn't explain the issue is slightly baffling. Here is a dent, please fix it, and i'll give you money. Don't damage the car. There's not much to explain.

Your attitude reinforces my opinion that people in various trades generally start with a hostile attitude to customers. Granted, they have to deal with a lot of bull (i've worked in customer facing trades) ... but my complaint in the original post is legitimate and the rest of the post was nothing more than expressing frustration and asking for pointers to someone that can help (and not scratch my car in the process).

Your info on pulling with glue is useful, i'll try and find out more thank you.

See how you go, I’m not in the trade btw just telling from bitter experience!