I thought this was an engine management light?

CanadaA3wales

Canadian living in South Wales - Audi A3 8V 150BHP
Reaction score
Hey all, hope you are all well.

I started my car this morning and noticed my engine light was on and would not turn off.

I did some heavy runs to cardiff and back just in case it was the DPF, but to no avail.

I looked in the book and it says it has something to do with the emissions light.

I dont have any problems with my car apart from needing some windscreen water and service is due in a couple weeks.

If it is the emissions, then is the DPF about to go, or could it be a sensor?

I know a new DPF will cost about £700.00, fingers crossed its not this.

If it has to with the DPF, is there a good DPF cleaner besides Redex as I hear its not that great.

Thanks all

Is regen happening or not? Maybe repeating your M4 jaunt and keeping the rpm over 3k will help clear the dpf.

I’ve seen some places takes the dpf off and chemically cleans it and it sometimes works for a while.
last time I had dpf issues the car wouldn’t start at all cause it was choked up and essentially blocking the exhaust.
best to find someone to check it out as you say it could be sensors related which will be a lot cheaper than a new dpf

I have a service booked in at my local audi indi on the 28th.

Do you think its worth waiting until then, or get it down there asap?

I hope its not a new DPF, maybe they can come up with some sort of solution.

I will buy some DPF cleaner and stick some new BP Diesel in it, and do a highish RPM drive to Cardiff and back.

Do you have an obd scanner to see what code it’s flagging up?

Do you have an obd scanner to see what code it’s flagging up?
No unfortunately I dont.

If I need a new DPF I may run it down to him next week and take an extended lunch to see what the issue is.

Will help me if I need to get a few more £££ for my service.

Scan it before anything else, as a drive is temporary at best if it's blocked that much.

So I guess it's a trip to my Audi guy to see if he can do a quick scan. I'm sure he'll be busy As tomorrow, but hopefully he can run a quick check. Thanks all

Could be that the remap you did last year has caused the car to be constantly running somewhat rich, which will lead to DPF blockages. It's always a risk with off the shelf maps and DPF's sadly.

It's worth investing in an OBD Scanner, they aren't that expensive, you don't need to go full VCDS for basic problem shooting.

Could be that the remap you did last year has caused the car to be constantly running somewhat rich, which will lead to DPF blockages. It's always a risk with off the shelf maps and DPF's sadly.

It's worth investing in an OBD Scanner, they aren't that expensive, you don't need to go full VCDS for basic problem shooting.
Really, if that's the case I'm bringing my car back to the mapper, he should have known his stuff as he has dealt with a lot of diesels.

Can you recommend a good scanner for cheap?

Good news and Bad.
Its the glow plug number 3.
It could have been a hell of a lot worse.
They removed the error, and has not come back up on my drive home.

He said they are about £80.00 + Fitting.

Good news and Bad.
Its the glow plug number 3.
It could have been a hell of a lot worse.
They removed the error, and has not come back up on my drive home.

He said they are about £80.00 + Fitting.
That’s not too bad. Better than £1k for dpf.
a nice cheap obd is Carista, think I got mine for a tenner ages ago. Will always work with scanning and fault codes so no need for subscription. Only need subscription if you coding stuff. You get a free month with it anyway.

Reactions: Damo S
I have just had a look online and it seems glow plugs are only about £10.00 or so each
Is the £80.00 he is quoting for all the glow plugs?

I dont know how many plugs are in my Audi, but there must be at least 4 or 6, and at 80.00 each, thats £320.00 just for the plugs when they can be found for £10.00 for bosch ones, unless I am missing something?

I have just had a look online and it seems glow plugs are only about £10.00 or so each

I dont know how many plugs are in my Audi, but there must be at least 4 or 6, and at 80.00 each, thats £320.00 just for the plugs when they can be found for £10.00 for bosch ones, unless I am missing something?
Some glow plugs have sensors, pressure I think, so are more expensive than the others. Maybe it’s the one with sensor that’s went.

Good news it only being a plug, as long as its just a faulty plug.

He will probably charge around half hour labour for fitting, so maybe around £40+VAT for the labour. The part he will put his own on as well, but does still sound a little steep. Ring Audi and ask them the cost for a plug for yours, then you'll have a figure to work with.

Took 3 tries from Audi to get a quote for the 3rd glow plug, they just kept saying we will call you back.
Its £125.00+ VAT for the part alone, so my Audi Indi quoting me £80.00 seems about right then.

I now have front drivers bearing problems, so thats another bill with my full service.

Probably be about £500 with my MOT and full service and all the above issues.

Driving is expensive Ha Ha

Took 3 tries from Audi to get a quote for the 3rd glow plug, they just kept saying we will call you back.
Its £125.00+ VAT for the part alone, so my Audi Indi quoting me £80.00 seems about right then.

I now have front drivers bearing problems, so thats another bill with my full service.

Probably be about £500 with my MOT and full service and all the above issues.

Driving is expensive Ha Ha

Look on the brightside, it's better than needing to fork out for a new DPF!

It's expensive driving an Audi...A Ford Focus doesn't cost as much in repairs :)

So...
Mot
Full Service/Major
3rd glow plug which has a sensor, the rest don't and are cheap, he sold me one half price as he had a used one and used it as a tester, so £65.00
New key battery which he fitted for free or so he said Ha Ha

£558.00

Damn I need a bus pass ha ha
Would not give up my car for the world unless someone wants to offer me a RS3 LOL

Reactions: ahtcap